League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
I turned it off. Reading here that McD got the participation trophy. Nice.

Seriously, he was good, but netting a bunch of points in blow-out wins doesn't do it for me. Which team won the Cup?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Glad Maurice finally got a locker room that worked for him. He's always been a smart X-O's guy, but really hands off at managing personalities and the locker room. That didn't work at all in Winnipeg, where the locker room toxicity was a frequent topic of discussion the past few years. But he landed with a good room and the Panthers and managed to link it all together.

Jun 15, 2007
I was cheering for the poffers and Maurice all the way ofc

But can I say

I think mcdavid has paid his dues and I might cheer for him to win now.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I turned it off. Reading here that McD got the participation trophy. Nice.

Seriously, he was good, but netting a bunch of points in blow-out wins doesn't do it for me. Which team won the Cup?

He utterly blew away the competition from start to finish in these playoffs, even breaking the Gretzky record for most assists in a playoff run.

If one man was enough to win the Cup, McDavid would be collecting them. We’re witnessing the true GOAT of this sport, but this was the ultimate confirmation of hockey being a team sport.

We are incredibly fortunate that the Caps and Ovi pulled through the only time they ever went that far.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He utterly blew away the competition from start to finish in these playoffs, even breaking the Gretzky record for most assists in a playoff run.

If one man was enough to win the Cup, McDavid would be collecting them. We’re witnessing the true GOAT of this sport, but this was the ultimate confirmation of hockey being a team sport.

We are incredibly fortunate that the Caps and Ovi pulled through the only time they ever went that far.
Mmmmm naaaah….the GOAT retired in 1999….

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
McDavid has at least proved that he can be talked about in the same area as Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr, which is saying an absolute ton.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agree to disagree. The game was different back then, players weren’t half as fast or nearly as fit as they are today.

Stats say one thing, but my eyes have never seen anyone play at 97s level. He dominates ultra-trained and coached athletes.
talent transcends time….

Just because 97 is absurdly fast (and skilled), doesn’t make him the GOAT.

Gretzky would have all the same training, coaching, and equipment advantages of today, not to mention a much softer NHL.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Agree to disagree. The game was different back then, players weren’t half as fast or nearly as fit as they are today.

Stats say one thing, but my eyes have never seen anyone play at 97s level. He dominates ultra-trained and coached athletes.
And if 99 had the benefit of all the training and nutrition and carbon fiber sticks and all the rest... who knows what he could do? McDavid is amazing, but Gretzky was different than any player before or since.

He wasn't super fast or explosive like McD. But he was dominant in a way McDavid isn't. No one would ever have said "he's the greatest athlete." It wasn't about training or any of that. It was like magic.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And if 99 had the benefit of all the triaining and nutrition and carbon fiber sticks and all the rest... who knows what he could do? McDavid is amazing, but Gretzky was different than any player before or since.

He wasn't super fast or explosive like McD. But he was dominant in a way McDavid isn't. No one would ever have said "he's the greatest athlete." It wasn't about training or any of that. It was like magic.
talent transcends time….

Just because 97 is absurdly fast (and skilled), doesn’t make him the GOAT.

Gretzky would have all the same training, coaching, and equipment advantages of today, not to mention a much softer NHL.

I’ve seen all the tapes, all of 99s highlights. Yes, he was by far the best of his time, no question.

You could do the same exercise in reverse and argue McDavid would’ve destroyed any era of hockey, no matter how physical it was, he’s simply too fast to be caught.

Gretzky played with 4 other HOF players. McDavid has Draisaitl and that’s it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad