League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We could have beaten them but it would have been shallow. Do you think we beat Tampa?

Therefore I am on the side that this collapse by Florida putting up only 3 goals is a capital choke job.

Most said we had no chance vs FLA. We saw that wasn't the case and we were an inch away from putting them down 3-1, then threw away three games in a row.

I wouldn't say we had no chance vs TB, either. Not based on the teams CAPABILITY. Based on their actual inability to close a series, maybe.

Reactions: Misery74

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bura hasn't scored much in the playoffs. He has looked decent on the ice though. But just not producing.

He's pretty much what we thought he was despite the "oh we screwed up" lamentations. Bura has been roughly a 20G scorer in the regular season since going to CO and produced less offensively than Tom Wilson in the same period.

In the playoffs he's been a 1/2 point per game guy in every season but one-- his first with CO.

But it's potentially a red flag that he hasn't upped production in a UFA year, which suggests there is no extra gear and that one season was a fluke. His slight bump in overall stat production might simply be due to where he's playing now.

If you brought him back I guess you'd know exactly what you're getting for $5M/yr, but is it worth the money vs a cheap deal for Mojo, or someone else?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think there’s a 15% chance we beat Tampa but Florida has some tough questions to ask of themselves this summer. We gave that series away. Two inches the other way by Hathaway and we’re up 3-1. Hell, in game two the Caps hit a post or two and Bob made some phenomenal saves and Florida scored on a fluky bounce or else they could have been down 2-0 after the first period in that game as well. I think the shots were 13-4 at one point in favor of Washington but Florida had the lead.

Florida never looked comfortable or confident. They never looked like they had an answer to either us or the Lightning. They beat the Caps by taking advantage of mental errors that the Bolts didn’t give them. None of their stars showed up… it was the Carter Verheaghe show against us but that was about it.

They probably just run it back because they have no futures or cap space and they still have a ton of talent but I’d assume Brunette gets walking papers. Maybe not though, is it his fault his best players were a no-show?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think there’s a 15% chance we beat Tampa but Florida has some tough questions to ask of themselves this summer. We gave that series away. Two inches the other way by Hathaway and we’re up 3-1. Hell, in game two the Caps hit a post or two and Bob made some phenomenal saves and Florida scored on a fluky bounce or else they could have been down 2-0 after the first period in that game as well. I think the shots were 13-4 at one point in favor of Washington but Florida had the lead.

Florida never looked comfortable or confident. They never looked like they had an answer to either us or the Lightning. They beat the Caps by taking advantage of mental errors that the Bolts didn’t give them. None of their stars showed up… it was the Carter Verheaghe show against us but that was about it.

They probably just run it back because they have no futures or cap space and they still have a ton of talent but I’d assume Brunette gets walking papers. Maybe not though, is it his fault his best players were a no-show?

You could see from G1 they were a team ready for a choke. We just have more experience at it and choked first.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, Brunette is gone given all of the experienced options available. They'll be a lesser team on paper but in part it depends on whether they can get some value in free agency and trades. Leadership looks to be an issue and that's tricky to fix and force. Maybe they just need to be patient but Huberdeau is a year away from a big raise. He was not the 100+ point franchise player type in the playoffs.

They'll still be deep but the mix up front is off. They missed Marchment, although I'm not sure he's altogether the power forward they need. Plus, he's UFA. Hornqvist did some good things but he's a bottom sixer and PP net front guy only. They should have played Thornton sooner. I mostly wonder if they won't move Weegar for either a lefty D or a package of futures to restructure. In general they were not D first or a patient checking team and that's not going to fly come playoff time without at least a humming PP and more headliner impact. They were not as good as they believed based off of regular season play. Different game come playoff time and no one knows better how to exemplify that than Tampa.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Buffalo gonna be good if they play their cards right. Might be smart to move one for immediate help but in a year or two they may be right there. Same with Jersey. Detroit with a real coach and a few deft moves could be one to watch this summer as well.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Buffalo gonna be good if they play their cards right. Might be smart to move one for immediate help but in a year or two they may be right there. Same with Jersey. Detroit with a real coach and a few deft moves could be one to watch this summer as well.

I hope Buffalo and Detroit become good again soon. New Jersey, not so much. But alas, this is the circle of life in sports… if things work the way they’re supposed to work.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

This is an exciting team if they can keep it together.

Dodged a bullet with Eichel.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
perhaps it's me being a petty bitch but the Panthers sweep is hilarious

Another note is that Verhage exploded against the Caps but didn't do anything against the Lightning. He single handedly carried the Panthers over Washington, but what did he do against Tampa? Lol. FRAUD!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
perhaps it's me being a petty bitch but the Panthers sweep is hilarious

Another note is that Verhage exploded against the Caps but didn't do anything against the Lightning. He single handedly carried the Panthers over Washington, but what did he do against Tampa? Lol. FRAUD!

He and Giroux wrecked the Caps. There must be a matchup exploitation there that FLA found and Lavi ignored or just flat out missed.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
He and Giroux wrecked the Caps. There must be a matchup exploitation there that FLA found and Lavi ignored or just flat out missed.
Nah, just 2 or 3 mistakes they capitalized on. I think missing the EN by an inch and losing in OT cast some doubt in the team's psyche and losing our most physical forward early-on didn't help. With Willy in the lineup, we win that series in 5 no problem. A healthy Ovi would of been nice too. He and Willy could of added 3-4 more goals over that series.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
I just don't see this team as a contender over clubs like Carolina and Tampa who are young and good.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Verhaege was hurt in the Tampa series I think. That's what the announcers seemed to think. Tampa is far better structurally in their team defense, even minus Point. A lot easier to manage the game when that's the case. The Caps were sort of close but played with fire much too often.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nah, just 2 or 3 mistakes they capitalized on. I think missing the EN by an inch and losing in OT cast some doubt in the team's psyche and losing our most physical forward early-on didn't help. With Willy in the lineup, we win that series in 5 no problem. A healthy Ovi would of been nice too. He and Willy could of added 3-4 more goals over that series.

In the last 3 games FLA scored 12 of their 20 goals for the series.

Verhaeghe had 2 of 3 FLA goals in G4.

Verhaeghe had 2 of 5 FLA goals in G5 and was involved in 5 of 5 (5 points). Giroux had 1g/1a.

Verhaeghe and Giroux each had a goal in G6 with Giroux being particularly devastating by adding 2 key assists to Verhaeghe's 1 assist. They were in on 3 of the 4 FLA goals,

10 of the 12 FLA goals in those 3 games involved Verhaeghe and/or Giroux.

Those two wrecked the Caps and I don't think it was just because of how great they are individually.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Kadri is going to get so overpaid this offseason.

Of course he plays the game how it should be played and shows up in the playoffs when not hurt or suspended. He's the type you hate on opposing teams, but love when he plays for your team.

This.

This is an exciting team if they can keep it together.

Dodged a bullet with Eichel.
Yep and they have paid a tough price for so long. People won't be laughing at them for much longer.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I hope Buffalo and Detroit become good again soon. New Jersey, not so much. But alas, this is the circle of life in sports… if things work the way they’re supposed to work.
I hope Buffalo becomes great and wins a cup. Buffalo fans have suffered mightily and I hope Detroit and NJD keep flopping. Those teams had their big run and I can see Detroit becoming good faster than NJD.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Verhaege was hurt in the Tampa series I think. That's what the announcers seemed to think. Tampa is far better structurally in their team defense, even minus Point. A lot easier to manage the game when that's the case. The Caps were sort of close but played with fire much too often.
He was hurt against us too, didn't stop him.

I think he missed the morning skate ahead of game 6 or 7 because of injury and was questionable to play.

Reactions: Hivemind

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Of course he plays the game how it should be played and shows up in the playoffs when not hurt or suspended. He's the type you hate on opposing teams, but love when he plays for your team.

This.

Yep and they have paid a tough price for so long. People won't be laughing at them for much longer.
Detroit needs to re-tool the top 6 but their backend is f***ing legit. Seider is really, really good. They still have Edvinsson and Cossa coming up.

New Jersey crushed the last draft with Mercer and Holz. Their top 6 is going to be nuts in a couple of years. They're the inverse of Detroit.

We're looking at Detroit, New Jersey, and Buffalo as players like it's the late 90s again.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
NY Carolina might get kind of spicy tonight, Gallant looks like a total psycho sometimes lol. And how does Reaves just always find himself in the playoffs

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Wow, Canes literally can’t win without their super cool storm surges and Rick Flair “woos” down in Raleigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad