League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I liked his house walk thru, aside of the generic ass movie posters in their theater and faux-inspirational word collages in their den.
Faux inspiration word collages on walls are even worse than those motivational framed pictures that every business seems to have in the office.

I do like to write down quotes from books or tv shows/books that jump out to me. Had a big white board in my pre-covid office that I left one of my favs there for whomever to enjoy:

The wolf does not pity the lamb. And the storm begs no forgiveness of the drowned.
Maybe a bit too creepy a quote to leave, heh.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
MacKinnon is just unbelievable. Coast-to-coast, completing the hat-trick and putting the Avs back on top after blowing a 3-0 lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
So Avs continue their quest to be the Caps of this decade.

Though the Caps may not have wanted to surrender their title just yet - with their preemptive “hold my beer” - pulling off the never-before-seen 8 seed choke job.

Ahh, it’s nice to be able to laugh (instead of cry) about it now 😆

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I wanna put money on either the bolts or oilers to win it all. Bolts are the safe bet but the payoff for the oilers is so much better

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
i want to see avs and oilers so bad. The east kinda stinks, i appreciate Tampa just continuing to do its thing I think Brisebois has been a shrewd GM so nice to see that type of thinking rewarded with win after win. Canes and Rangers is very boring, don't care for either of them.
Rangers/Lightning and Oilers/Avs is best case for conference finals. I think Lightning/Avs would be best for the SCF in terms of quality hockey but it would be cool for McDavid to get the spotlight.

Such totally different styles between the East and the West. Rangers and Bolts have the two best goalies in the world and all three remaining teams have been grinding to wins. Oilers and Avs play fire wagon hockey with unreal individual offensive talents. Markstrom looks like Justin Peters against the Flames and it’s weird seeing a Darryl Sutter coached team look clueless on defense.

Mike Smith in the Stanley Cup Final would be a treat.

Jun 15, 2007
Lucky Johansen was so much of a bust he couldnt be part of the wjc team. Silver lining!

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Would be far better if the Alberta battle was the early game, and Rangers Canes was the late game, cuz these low event East games are snoozers

Jun 15, 2007
I like McDavid and co but the Flames were robbed there. How can you overturn that goal?

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I like McDavid and co but the Flames were robbed there. How can you overturn that goal?
We were all robbed of 1-2 more games in this bonkers series. Bummed for Calgary fans, that was a BS call.

On the bright side, the oft-teased Mc-Series might finally be on if Avs win.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yep I agree. Watched the replay a bunch of times and all you have to do is watch Coleman's eyes. He is laser focussed on that puck and ensuring he skate puts it into the net.
That’s not the rule though, at all. Intent has nothing to do with it because you can use your skate to score and do so intentionally. The only way that should have been called a no goal is if they think Coleman actually kicked the puck. Rule 37.4:

“Plays that involve a puck entering the net as a direct result of a “distinct kicking motion” shall be ruled NO GOAL. A “distinct kicking motion,” for purposes of Video Review, is one where the video makes clear that an attacking Player has deliberately propelled the puck with a kick of his foot or skate and the puck subsequently enters the net.”

“A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking Players’ skate shall also be ruled a GOAL, as long as no “distinct kicking motion” is evident.”

He’s allowed to put the puck into the net with his skate like he did here as long as he doesn’t actually kick it, and I’m not sure how a guy with his skate blade on the ice can make a kicking motion. Terrible call and zero consistency again by NHL officials.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That’s not the rule though, at all. Intent has nothing to do with it because you can use your skate to score and do so intentionally. The only way that should have been called a no goal is if they think Coleman actually kicked the puck. Rule 37.4:

“Plays that involve a puck entering the net as a direct result of a “distinct kicking motion” shall be ruled NO GOAL. A “distinct kicking motion,” for purposes of Video Review, is one where the video makes clear that an attacking Player has deliberately propelled the puck with a kick of his foot or skate and the puck subsequently enters the net.”

“A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking Players’ skate shall also be ruled a GOAL, as long as no “distinct kicking motion” is evident.”

He’s allowed to put the puck into the net with his skate like he did here as long as he doesn’t actually kick it, and I’m not how a guy with his skate blade on the ice can make a kicking motion. Terrible call and zero consistency again by NHL officials.

This. By the rule it's a bad call. There was no distinct kicking motion unless you're looking at one or two angles that partially obscure the play so the leg looks like it shoots out at the puck. But every other angle clearly shows the leg/boot all shaving ice as he skids into the net, and the angle of the blade only even changes AFTER the puck is contacted and he toe-pick's a little. And you can see from Coleman's reaction after the verdict that he genuinely believed he did not kick it.

NHL blew that one. For that to happen late in an elimination game, and then potentially result in a series wrongly being ended, puts a PERMANENT STAIN on the video review process which was initiated precisely because of that exact situation.

The NHL really needs to do something about its shitty replay.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Jun 15, 2007
If it was called no goal and the video review upheld that I would disagree but understand.

That it was called a goal and video review overturned it...that's an egregious error in my mind.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Stephenson turned his heel for this one and it counted.

Blown call IMO..

This. By the rule it's a bad call. There was no distinct kicking motion unless you're looking at one or two angles that partially obscure the play so the leg looks like it shoots out at the puck. But every other angle clearly shows the leg/boot all shaving ice as he skids into the net, and the angle of the blade only even changes AFTER the puck is contacted and he toe-pick's a little. And you can see from Coleman's reaction after the verdict that he genuinely believed he did not kick it.

NHL blew that one. For that to happen late in an elimination game, and then potentially result in a series wrongly being ended, puts a PERMANENT STAIN on the video review process which was initiated precisely because of that exact situation.

The NHL really needs to do something about its shitty replay.

Seems to me the core problem of the rule is the definition of “distinct kicking motion”…

I think it was distinct enough…..I guess Toronto agreed.

I feel like anything more than a net drive redirect, if you lift your skate and/or move it towards the net to direct the puck in, that’s a distinct enough kicking motion for me.

Nobody should expect consistency from the NHL that’s for sure.

Reactions: PlushMinus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad