NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Are you much cooler than I thought you were?
giphy.gif

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Recent picks have necessitated a slight change of plans. The key instrument is now going to be a forward bass, which means we need an absolute monster to stand out from the rest of the planned group. Luckily there’s someone in the right genre who’s both used to being forward and a world-class talent.

From the day it was released in 1995, his “Maxwell Murder” solo has been generally been considered the best punk bass solo ever laid down.

The Rancid catalogue is what he’s most famous for, but by far the most important music he was ever involved with was the short-lived late 80s East Bay band, Operation Ivy. If anything, you might have heard this monster bassline before:

But we also need someone who can play behind a much harder sound and still drive the song forward.

Bass: Matt Freeman

93702256_10163932822485599_6512723592579383296_n.jpg

@Magua They call it a scene I call it a disaster. Down here the kids grow up faster.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Recent picks have necessitated a slight change of plans. The key instrument is now going to be a forward bass, which means we need an absolute monster to stand out from the rest of the planned group. Luckily there’s someone in the right genre who’s both used to being forward and a world-class talent.

From the day it was released in 1995, his “Maxwell Murder” solo has been generally been considered the best punk bass solo ever laid down.

The Rancid catalogue is what he’s most famous for, but by far the most important music he was ever involved with was the short-lived late 80s East Bay band, Operation Ivy. If anything, you might have heard this monster bassline before:

But we also need someone who can play behind a much harder sound and still drive the song forward.

Bass: Matt Freeman

93702256_10163932822485599_6512723592579383296_n.jpg

@Magua They call it a scene I call it a disaster. Down here the kids grow up faster.

Fantastic.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I need to get out in front of my percussion section because I just find that the hardest part. I know with the direction of my band that a classic rock drummer isn't exactly it, and I know that a classic jazz drummer isn't exactly it. I want a drummer who can move seamlessly within Pumpkin-like soundscapes, I'm not sure the average listener realizes how jazzy and nuanced the drumming can be in the Pumpkins, especially in the fills. If I didn't take this guy, I'd be pretty f***ed.

The Honolulu Ghibli name as our next band member: "Topper" Headon (drums)

Bo5b7xFIEAAt3tE.jpg

Topper is best known as the drummer for The Clash on all their albums, save for their horrible last one when he was kicked out of the band for addiction issues. His removal basically set in motion the collapse of the band. Headon is absolutely one of the most underrated drummers in mainstream music.

Topper, before The Clash, had nothing even to do with the punk rock scene -- he started off in jazz and prog rock. He took the job on a whim, and his impact on their musical diversity, including reggae and funk and rockabilly, is inseparable. Calling The Clash a "punk" band is laughably crude, but Headon's drumming is so far removed from the anarchic stylings of the era. When he joined the band, they told Topper that he drummed too quietly. To word it better than me: "Headon’s style was always crisp, dry, and tight, and he possessed a rock-solid tempo and blistering backbeat, which held together the band’s riotous arrangements."

I can't even imagine one of my favorite songs without Headon's cymbals and tom-tom combo driving it. So clean and tasteful.

Another one of my favorite Topper Headon drum parts, this time dark reggae. Shows his tight groove:

And as jazzy as The Clash gets, thanks to Topper. Separate the other instruments, and I could easily see a drum track like this over a Corgan verse or bridge or something.

@Young Sandwich -- add a meaty member into that band. Phrasing.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I need to get out in front of my percussion section because I just find that the hardest part. I know with the direction of my band that a classic rock drummer isn't exactly it, and I know that a classic jazz drummer isn't exactly it. I want a drummer who can move seamlessly within Pumpkin-like soundscapes, I'm not sure the average listener realizes how jazzy and nuanced the drumming can be in the Pumpkins, especially in the fills. If I didn't take this guy, I'd be pretty f***ed.

The Honolulu Ghibli name as our next band member: "Topper" Headon (drums)

Bo5b7xFIEAAt3tE.jpg

Topper is best known as the drummer for The Clash on all their albums, save for their horrible last one when he was kicked out of the band for addiction issues. His removal basically set in motion the collapse of the band. Headon is absolutely one of the most underrated drummers in mainstream music.

Topper, before The Clash, had nothing even to do with the punk rock scene -- he started off in jazz and prog rock. He took the job on a whim, and his impact on their musical diversity, including reggae and funk and rockabilly, is inseparable. Calling The Clash a "punk" band is laughably crude, but Headon's drumming is so far removed from the anarchic stylings of the era. When he joined the band, they told Topper that he drummed too quietly. To word it better than me: "Headon’s style was always crisp, dry, and tight, and he possessed a rock-solid tempo and blistering backbeat, which held together the band’s riotous arrangements."

I can't even imagine one of my favorite songs without Headon's cymbals and tom-tom combo driving it. So clean and tasteful.

Another one of my favorite Topper Headon drum parts, this time dark reggae. Shows his tight groove:

And as jazzy as The Clash gets, thanks to Topper. Separate the other instruments, and I could easily see a drum track like this over a Corgan verse or bridge or something.

@Young Sandwich -- add a meaty member into that band. Phrasing.

@pit has The Clash as his band.

Reactions: BiggE

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Do-over. Fine. Upon closer reading of the rules, I'm going to go with an option that would've been my 2nd choice for drummer last go around. My default is groove, and this guy knows how to rock a pocket like anyone. I liked the slight jazzy tinge of my former fake choice, but if you've got groove and technical skill, drumming isn't confined to genre that easily. He does have his own jazz side band stuff too.

The Honolulu Ghibli, pretending we read the card wrong, select as our latest band member: Chad Smith (drums)

Op8m0E2.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers -- I hope you gather by now they're one of my favorite bands, especially instrumentally. But Smith is also a sought after session drummer for a lot of popular artists. Yes, he's talented, but he's infectiously enthusiastic, and though this hasn't been a concern of mine, he's an easy as pie personality and drummer with which to vibe. It's a you problem if you can't. He just finds the essence of a song and channels it without overplaying. He can be an aggressive hitter, but he's not an aggressive player, if that makes sense, and he finds the nuance in his fills.

I love how he uses his high-hat, hand and foot, to create this sloshy sound. His funky syncopation and ghost notes are his signature style -- the man can hold a head bobbing beat until the heat death of the universe.

Chad Smith can clean and tighten his sound up too though. I love his tight snares that can cut through a song.

He's more versatile than just funk. He's the ultimate team player who will go wherever the good music is nestled. Like this is the type of sound I could see my band producing:

Some of my favorite Corgan work is the electronic beats on Adore, so just sitting on a beat works just fine. Don't need a drum machine when your drummer is a better drum machine.

Last edited:

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
This next pick is less about perfect fit and more about personal preference. This dude is an absolute badass behind a drum kit, looking like a Tasmanian devil back there while creating sounds that shouldn't come from something so frantic. He is undoubtedly one of the most underrated drummers on the planet, unless you were a fan of Bloc Party and knew better. So underrated... so negated. Unfortunately he and [RANCH] had some differences so they went their separate ways. He now plays in a band called [RANCH] that is musically much different than Bloc Party. That's a good thing, as it shows he is willing and able to vary his style as needed to fit in with this rag tag group of undervalued musical geniuses.

If he can play shit like this consistently, he can do anything:

Member - Matt Tong (Drums)

I'll pick again soon, work is a dick.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
This next pick is less about perfect fit and more about personal preference. This dude is an absolute badass behind a drum kit, looking like a Tasmanian devil back there while creating sounds that shouldn't come from something so frantic. He is undoubtedly one of the most underrated drummers on the planet, unless you were a fan of Bloc Party and knew better. So underrated... so negated. Unfortunately he and [RANCH] had some differences so they went their separate ways. He now plays in a band called [RANCH] that is musically much different than Bloc Party. That's a good thing, as it shows he is willing and able to vary his style as needed to fit in with this rag tag group of undervalued musical geniuses.

I strongly considered him the first time around. Great pick.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

He rules and you suck so hard.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Also, you rotten bastard, this is his best work.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
With this follow-up pick were going with both personal preference and fit. I am imagining her and Ty creating some seriously magical stuff, with Matt helping tie things together from the back end. She is a Montreal native, so she is undoubtedly already a huge fan of the Sexpos, naturally. Her voice is incredibly unique and has a way of finding previously uncharted parts of your eardrums that seem to just make you smile. Her guitar playing in combination with her voice create meditative trance-like states that grab the listener and wrap them in a supremely comfortable blanket of sound.

Member - Elizabeth Powell (Guitar, Vocals)

Go again @Magua

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Do-over. Fine. Upon closer reading of the rules, I'm going to go with an option that would've been my 2nd choice for drummer last go around. My default is groove, and this guy knows how to rock a pocket like anyone. I liked the slight jazzy tinge of my former fake choice, but if you've got groove and technical skill, drumming isn't confined to genre that easily. He does have his own jazz side band stuff too.

The Honolulu Ghibli, pretending we read the card wrong, select as our latest band member: Chad Smith (drums)

Op8m0E2.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers -- I hope you gather by now they're one of my favorite bands, especially instrumentally. But Smith is also a sought after session drummer for a lot of popular artists. Yes, he's talented, but he's infectiously enthusiastic, and though this hasn't been a concern of mine, he's an easy as pie personality and drummer with which to vibe. It's a you problem if you can't. He just finds the essence of a song and channels it without overplaying. He can be an aggressive hitter, but he's not an aggressive player, if that makes sense, and he finds the nuance in his fills.

I love how he uses his high-hat, hand and foot, to create this sloshy sound. His funky syncopation and ghost notes are his signature style -- the man can hold a head bobbing beat until the heat death of the universe.

Chad Smith can clean and tighten his sound up too though. I love his tight snares that can cut through a song.

He's more versatile than just funk. He's the ultimate team player who will go wherever the good music is nestled. Like this is the type of sound I could see my band producing:

Some of my favorite Corgan work is the electronic beats on Adore, so just sitting on a beat works just fine. Don't need a drum machine when your drummer is a better drum machine.

On the Mount Rushmore of ghost note drummers

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm guessing I sniped you here? You already have Russel, share the wealth a bit. :laugh:

He's so damn good in that song, but I always get tunnel vision for Silent Alarm when I want to watch him drum. It's the Sexpos Team Album for a reason.

Remember when I said prioritizing these is difficult? This is specifically what I was talking about.

Reactions: Young Sandwich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad