NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
"I still have a flame gun for the cute, cute, cute ones ..."

I listened to a lot of music over the past few days, and I listened carefully to the singing voices of various people. I wasn't trying to find the best voice among my options - I already knew who that was - I was looking for matches and differences and how they would layer one upon another.

"And I saw your hand with a loose grip on a very tight ship ..."

In general, this supergroup is more about words than anything else. I am and have always been in love with words, and I want this band to really roll out lyrics that move people to feel something in one way or another.

"I still have a flame gun for the cute ones who burn out all your tricks ..."

Having already selected Robert Pollard and his bottomless well of God-knows-what-next, those lyrics can be entirely fanciful and focus on things which belong on distant planets, or they can deal with the very personal and intimate.

"And I know in the cold light it's a very big man leading us into temptation ..."

But the words are just one part of the equation. The sound of a voice - its tone and timbre, its intensity or lack thereof - everything that makes it unique or beautiful moves people just as much. For The Daring Surrenders, I needed to find a voice which works with Bob's when he sings, but also on and around which we can construct our sound. Through extremely precise scientific testing, I have found such a voice on my iTunes, which is asking me to update it at this very second.

It doesn't hurt that "Cat Power" serves the #Lore of the Lapins.

It also doesn't hurt that she is gorgeous.

She is something of a mentalist, but that's all right - she'll find a welcome home with the rest of us wackjobs. She's quite a good and versatile musician, so that helps too.

CatPowerChanMarshall.jpg

Member (phrasing) - Chan Marshall AKA Cat Power - Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Piano, Keyboards

@Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'm gonna go off the board and pick another shortlister from the last round- Pete Ham of Badfinger for rhythm guitar and vocals (if you wouldn't mind, Cap, please changing John Fogerty to just "vocals" as well- we're gonna have one of those bands without just one lead singer).

image-w856.jpg

Badfinger is a tragic rock story, of course. They had some great hits in their short time and Ham wrote and sang many of them: Baby Blue (my favorite), No Matter What, Day After Day. He is unfortunately one of the many members of the 27 Club.

@mja

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I listened to a lot of music over the past few days, and I listened carefully to the singing voices of various people. I wasn't trying to find the best voice among my options - I already knew who that was - I was looking for matches and differences and how they would layer one upon another.

In general, this supergroup is more about words than anything else. I am and have always been in love with words, and I want this band to really roll out lyrics that move people to feel something in one way or another.

Having already selected Robert Pollard and his bottomless well of God-knows-what-next, those lyrics can be entirely fanciful and focus on things which belong on distant planets, or they can deal with the very personal and intimate.

"And I know in the cold light it's a very big man leading us into temptation ..."

But the words are just one part of the equation. The sound of a voice - its tone and timbre, its intensity or lack thereof - everything that makes it unique or beautiful moves people just as much. For The Daring Surrenders, I needed to find a voice which works with Bob's when he sings, but also on and around which we can construct our sound. Through extremely precise scientific testing, I have found such a voice on my iTunes, which is asking me to update it at this very second.

She is something of a mentalist, but that's all right - she'll find a welcome home with the rest of us wackjobs. She's quite a good and versatile musician, so that helps too.

CatPowerChanMarshall.jpg

Member (phrasing) - Chan Marshall AKA Cat Power - Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Piano, Keyboards

@Strawberry Fields

GREAT pick

This is one of the prettiest vocal performances ever put on wax

https://youtu.be/iIOPdOjVqy8

Used brilliantly in V For Vendetta

https://youtu.be/-hSeYSzvhBk

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

CatPowerChanMarshall.jpg

@Strawberry Fields

I'm fascinated by what you're going to pick for the rest of the band, because early on I literally considered building my band around Pollard and Chan before I decided I needed to challenge myself to stay away from 90's indie rockers.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm fascinated by what you're going to pick for the rest of the band, because early on I literally considered building my band around Pollard and Chan before I decided I needed to challenge myself to stay away from 90's indie rockers.

I really did give it an enormous amount of thought and time lol - I think it is going to sound amazing, hopefully.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
He was born in Memphis and broke out in the mid-late 60’s before experiencing a series of professional setbacks caused by record label issues, along with addiction and acrimony in the band. He tried to go it alone but it never really panned out, and he was nearly forgotten about before becoming a highly influential cult hero in the underground music scene. Later in life, after a series of personal setbacks, he finally started to achieve some of the recognition he richly deserved but then passed away all too early.

I know what you’re thinking: But you already took Chilton?

Pick #2: Arthur Lee

Arthur_Lee.jpg

Arthur Lee was born in Memphis but grew up in South Central Los Angeles, where he started the pioneering (and racially-integrated) band that became Love in the mid-60’s. He was also perhaps responsible for giving (friend and sometime collaborator) Jimi Hendrix his first session job, though that is in doubt.

tumblr_ozzngfAgd61unlbqzo1_500.gifv

Love was both of its era and from the future, and played a blend of psychedelic pop / folk-rock that at times presaged punk rock. They had their biggest hit with 66’s 7 and 7 is:

Their third record, 1967’s Forever Changes, was greeted mostly with polite shrugs, but has since been recognized as one of the greatest records of all time. It’s psychedelic folk, with prominent string and horn arrangements, and it doesn’t quite sound like anything else, before or after, and its dark pessimistic themes stand out noticeably from rest of the flower power scene. To wit: Arthur Lee had his doubts.

I first discovered Love through Wes Anderson. Love’s now most famous song, Alone Again Or (written by Lee’s bandmate [Ranch]), is featured prominently in his debut feature, Bottle Rocket, in the first of a long line of great Anderson scenes set to a killer almost forgotten song.

Lee led a deeply troubled life after the break-up of the original line-up of Love, and he spent much of the 70’s and 80’s adrift, even running afoul of the law. Interest started back up again by the early 90’s. 1993 saw [Ranch] and the Egyptians, release the lament The Wreck of the Arthur Lee, while Lee hooked up with a young band called Baby Lemonade and went out on tour to perform old Love songs. Things seemed to be going well, until Lee was charged with discharging a firearm and was sentenced to a lengthy stint in prison because it was his third strike. He ended up serving more than 5 years before the verdict was thrown out on appeals because of prosecutorial misconduct.

Now out of prison, Lee was more reflective and focused. He saw what Brian Wilson was doing with bringing Pet Sounds on tour, and decided on swiping the idea for Forever Changes. He went out on tour again, selling out impressive venues, but only a few years later it all came to an end. He was diagnosed with Leukemia and died at 61 in 2006.

In the Quackverse, Lee & Chilton are going to run into each other somehow, maybe in Memphis, sometime in the mid 80's. Maybe Lee goes back to the place of his birth looking for signs of his birth father but instead finds Chilton. Chilton won't have to stoop to being a dishwasher in New Orleans to make ends meet and Lee will stay out of jail, and they pair up to create a formidable songwriting duo ready to take over the world just as things start getting really interesting.

@BiggE

Last edited:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He was born in Memphis and broke out in the mid-late 60’s before experiencing a series of professional setbacks caused by record label issues, along with addiction and acrimony in the band. He tried to go it alone but it never really panned out, and he was nearly forgotten about before becoming a highly influential cult hero in the underground music scene. Later in life, after a series of personal setbacks, he finally started to achieve some of the recognition he richly deserved but then passed away all too early.

Arthur_Lee.jpg

Arthur Lee was born in Memphis but grew up in South Central Los Angeles, where he started the pioneering (and racially-integrated) band that became Love in the mid-60’s. He was also perhaps responsible for giving (friend and sometime collaborator) Jimi Hendrix his first session job, though that is in doubt.

Love was both of it’s era and from the future, and played a blend of psychedelic pop / folk-rock that at times presaged punk rock. They had their biggest hit with 66’s 7 and 7 is:

Their third record, 1967’s Forever Changes, was greeted mostly with polite shrugs, but has since been recognized as one of the greatest records of all time. It’s psychedelic folk, with prominent string and horn arrangements, and it doesn’t quite sound like anything else, before or after, and its dark pessimistic themes stand out noticeably from rest of the flower power scene. To wit: Arthur Lee had his doubts.

I first discovered Love through Wes Anderson. Love’s now most famous song, Alone Again Or (written by Lee’s bandmate [Ranch]), is featured prominently in his debut feature, Bottle Rocket, in the first of long line of great Anderson scenes set to a killer almost forgotten song.

Lee led a deeply troubled life after the break-up of the original line-up of Love, and he spent much of the 70’s and 80’s adrift, even running afoul of the law. Interest started back up again by the early 90’s. 1993 saw [Ranch] and the Egyptians, release the lament The Wreck of the Arthur Lee, while Lee hooked up with a young band called Baby Lemonade and went out on tour to perform old Love songs. Things seemed to be going well, until Lee was charged with discharging a firearm and was sentenced to a lengthy stint in prison because it was his third strike. He ended up serving more than 5 years before the verdict was thrown out on appeals because of prosecutorial misconduct.

Now out of prison, Lee was more reflective and focused. He saw what Brian Wilson was doing with bringing Pet Sounds on tour, and decided on swiping the idea for Forever Changes. He went out on tour again, selling out impressive venues, but only a few years later it all came to an end. He was diagnosed with Leukemia and died at 61 in 2006.

In the Quackverse, Lee & Chilton are going to run into each other somehow, maybe in Memphis, sometime in the mid 80's. Maybe Lee goes back to the place of his birth looking for signs of his birth father but instead finds Chilton. Chilton won't have to stoop to being a dishwasher in New Orleans to make ends meet and Lee will stay out of jail, and they pair up to create a formidable songwriting duo ready to take over the world just as things start getting really interesting.

@BiggE

Oh hell yeah

Love are an incredible band

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

CatPowerChanMarshall.jpg

@Strawberry Fields

Nice pick Cap, I didn't realize you were a hipster.

That was a joke, don't explode on us now.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

Arthur_Lee.jpg

Love was both of its era and from the future, and played a blend of psychedelic pop / folk-rock that at times presaged punk rock. They had their biggest hit with 66’s 7 and 7 is:

I first discovered Love through Wes Anderson. Love’s now most famous song, Alone Again Or (written by Lee’s bandmate [Ranch]), is featured prominently in his debut feature, Bottle Rocket, in the first of a long line of great Anderson scenes set to a killer almost forgotten song.

@BiggE

You guys make me feel bad that I don’t do a whole write up on my band picks, or most picks really. I’m not going to, but you still make me feel bad.
I could write all day about my family, but not this kind of stuff.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
You guys make me feel bad that I don’t do a whole write up on my band picks, or most picks really. I’m not going to, but you still make me feel bad.
I could write all day about my family, but not this kind of stuff.

You’re doing great, buddy. I’ve been digging your movie and band picks.

Also, I don’t think the rest of my write-ups are going to be anywhere near as long. I’ve also been thinking about this for like a month. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad