NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I had thought about some of these choices last round, but it didn't mesh. When we started discussing a second group, I knew I wanted to go this direction but I wasn't sure if it was valid. But then I recalled the sage words of a young RANCH when he said in one of his songs:
REDACTED first said a deejay could be a band
Stand on its own feet, get you out your seat

So using that wisdom, we're looking at a different kind of band and for my first pick, I look to the start of the very next line in that song:
Beat is for Eric B...

And while we aren't choosing Eric B, we are choosing his longtime partner, the God MC, Rakim.

There is always the "top MCs of all time" discussion and they're of course terribly subjective. If someone doesn't put Rakim somewhere in their top ten though, I find it had to give the list much weight. He introduced internal rhyming and multi-syllabic rhyming into hip-hop. In the Golden Age he pushed lyricism, metaphor and flow to the forefront. To people now hearing him for the first time it doesn't sound original, but that's because what he was doing then changed the game so much that what he does just became part of the fabric of the genre.

Original recipe:

Modern remix, still sounding awesome:

Classed up with live instrumentation:

@Chuck Downie , it's cool when you freak to the beat, but don't sweat the technique.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I had thought about some of these choices last round, but it didn't mesh. When we started discussing a second group, I knew I wanted to go this direction but I wasn't sure if it was valid. But then I recalled the sage words of a young RANCH when he said in one of his songs:
REDACTED first said a deejay could be a band
Stand on its own feet, get you out your seat

So using that wisdom, we're looking at a different kind of band and for my first pick, I look to the start of the very next line in that song:
Beat is for Eric B...

And while we aren't choosing Eric B, we are choosing his longtime partner, the God MC, Rakim.

There is always the "top MCs of all time" discussion and they're of course terribly subjective. If someone doesn't put Rakim somewhere in their top ten though, I find it had to give the list much weight. He introduced internal rhyming and multi-syllabic rhyming into hip-hop. In the Golden Age he pushed lyricism, metaphor and flow to the forefront. To people now hearing him for the first time it doesn't sound original, but that's because what he was doing then changed the game so much that what he does just became part of the fabric of the genre.

Original recipe:

Modern remix, still sounding awesome:

Classed up with live instrumentation:

@Chuck Downie , it's cool when you freak to the beat, but don't sweat the technique.

Old school hip hop pisses all over absolutely everything else. Great pick.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
My band has been chosen, at least in my wasted head that is. If we do a 3rd one, I’m gonna go with a blues band.

For our next spite group though, I’m thinking some kind of emo/death metal/polka combo

I honestly don't think I hate enough music to put together another spite group. I mostly just ignore stuff.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I really can't decide on what genre of music I want this band to be so until then, i'm going with another Producer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Vocalist with BECK.

With him on board, I can still go in a variety of different directions. From alternative to indie electronic to pop. We shall see.

Odelay! is probably his most famous ablum, but my two favorite Beck albums are Guero and Modern Guilt. For me, that is where he peaked as an artist.

View attachment 506109

Sea Change is one of my favorite albums. Considered him. But I’m a little all or nothing for a lot of his stuff. But it’s one of those CDs my dad randomly bought for himself, when I was like 9 years old, and it just ended up a staple for me down the line.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
Prince Edward Island
First pick for Supergroup 2

Al Jourgensen

Al Jourgensen - Wikipedia

al_jourgensen_face.jpg

al-jourgensen-ministry-q-a-f71db765-e01c-44b4-b9ef-98f9916f9875.jpg

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm loving all of these picks and all of the different directions people are headed in.

I really can't decide on what genre of music I want this band to be so until then, i'm going with another Producer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Vocalist with BECK.

With him on board, I can still go in a variety of different directions. From alternative to indie electronic to pop. We shall see.

Odelay! is probably his most famous ablum, but my two favorite Beck albums are Guero and Modern Guilt. For me, that is where he peaked as an artist.

View attachment 506109

It was at a Beck show where I pissed off Kim Gordon. He was nice enough though.

Sea Change is one of my favorite albums. Considered him. But I’m a little all or nothing for a lot of his stuff. But it’s one of those CDs my dad randomly bought for himself, when I was like 9 years old, and it just ended up a staple for me down the line.

Wait, 9?

anigif_sub-buzz-29780-1601317699-11.gif

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
We pair Rakim's effortless smooth flow with an MC who is a blaring siren that epitomizes boom bap. A founding member of Boogie Down Productions and later solo artist, his combination of consciousness, activism and lyricism put him on another level when he hit the scene and he continues to bring the fire thirty years later.

Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone, KRS One is our second pick.

@GKJ , that's the sound of the beast.

The start:

Solo:

Still bringing it:

@GKJ , it's da sound of your pick.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
We pair Rakim's effortless smooth flow with an MC who is a blaring siren that epitomizes boom bap. A founding member of Boogie Down Productions and later solo artist, his combination of consciousness, activism and lyricism put him on another level when he hit the scene and he continues to bring the fire thirty years later.

The start:

Solo:

Still bringing it:

The GOAT, hands down. Translates live too. Just an incomprehensible talent. Sadly, he knows it. :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The start:

Solo:

Still bringing it:

WOOP WOOP

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The name of my Supergroup 2 is The Daring Surrenders. Rather than make up a name again, I went into the co-greatest thing ever written in the English language (tied with "Hamlet"), T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land."

"Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment’s surrender"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad