NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Remember when I said prioritizing these is difficult? This is specifically what I was talking about.
I probably should have taken him first overall to be sure, but had Ty queued up and ready to go. Thanks for blowing it. :laugh:

We will get Matt and Russell back together again in the Quackverse, where they were meant to be.

BTW, did you hear Russell's new EP from earlier this year "Algorythms"? Matt plays on this song with him:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I probably should have taken him first overall to be sure, but had Ty queued up and ready to go. Thanks for blowing it. :laugh:

We will get Matt and Russell back together again in the Quackverse, where they were meant to be.

BTW, did you hear Russell's new EP from earlier this year "Algorythms"? Matt plays on this song with him:

It sounds amazing, as usual.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
He was born in Memphis and broke out in the mid-late 60’s before experiencing a series of professional setbacks caused by record label issues, along with addiction and acrimony in the band. He tried to go it alone but it never really panned out, and he was nearly forgotten about before becoming a highly influential cult hero in the underground music scene. Later in life, after a series of personal setbacks, he finally started to achieve some of the recognition he richly deserved but then passed away all too early.

I know what you’re thinking: But you already took Chilton?

Pick #2: Arthur Lee

Arthur_Lee.jpg

Arthur Lee was born in Memphis but grew up in South Central Los Angeles, where he started the pioneering (and racially-integrated) band that became Love in the mid-60’s. He was also perhaps responsible for giving (friend and sometime collaborator) Jimi Hendrix his first session job, though that is in doubt.

tumblr_ozzngfAgd61unlbqzo1_500.gifv

Love was both of its era and from the future, and played a blend of psychedelic pop / folk-rock that at times presaged punk rock. They had their biggest hit with 66’s 7 and 7 is:

Their third record, 1967’s Forever Changes, was greeted mostly with polite shrugs, but has since been recognized as one of the greatest records of all time. It’s psychedelic folk, with prominent string and horn arrangements, and it doesn’t quite sound like anything else, before or after, and its dark pessimistic themes stand out noticeably from rest of the flower power scene. To wit: Arthur Lee had his doubts.

I first discovered Love through Wes Anderson. Love’s now most famous song, Alone Again Or (written by Lee’s bandmate [Ranch]), is featured prominently in his debut feature, Bottle Rocket, in the first of a long line of great Anderson scenes set to a killer almost forgotten song.

Lee led a deeply troubled life after the break-up of the original line-up of Love, and he spent much of the 70’s and 80’s adrift, even running afoul of the law. Interest started back up again by the early 90’s. 1993 saw [Ranch] and the Egyptians, release the lament The Wreck of the Arthur Lee, while Lee hooked up with a young band called Baby Lemonade and went out on tour to perform old Love songs. Things seemed to be going well, until Lee was charged with discharging a firearm and was sentenced to a lengthy stint in prison because it was his third strike. He ended up serving more than 5 years before the verdict was thrown out on appeals because of prosecutorial misconduct.

Now out of prison, Lee was more reflective and focused. He saw what Brian Wilson was doing with bringing Pet Sounds on tour, and decided on swiping the idea for Forever Changes. He went out on tour again, selling out impressive venues, but only a few years later it all came to an end. He was diagnosed with Leukemia and died at 61 in 2006.

In the Quackverse, Lee & Chilton are going to run into each other somehow, maybe in Memphis, sometime in the mid 80's. Maybe Lee goes back to the place of his birth looking for signs of his birth father but instead finds Chilton. Chilton won't have to stoop to being a dishwasher in New Orleans to make ends meet and Lee will stay out of jail, and they pair up to create a formidable songwriting duo ready to take over the world just as things start getting really interesting.

@BiggE

Fantastic pick. He still put on an amazing show when I saw Love at The Fillmore in 2003. I can't believe how well he aged.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Smith + Stubblefield + Brailey probably? Who's the 4th? Clark before Purdie probably?

(No one is taking these guys who doesn't already know they exist. This isn't tapdancing around Clapton.)
I'd put Purdie there personally.

I changed my drumsticks to play more like Chad Smith. Use a heavier and larger diameter stick now. Related: also prefer a looser hi hat because of Ringo, though I started playing that way to sound more like the Beatles tracks since I started drumming to their music

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
With this follow-up pick were going with both personal preference and fit. I am imagining her and Ty creating some seriously magical stuff, with Matt helping tie things together from the back end. She is a Montreal native, so she is undoubtedly already a huge fan of the Sexpos, naturally. Her voice is incredibly unique and has a way of finding previously uncharted parts of your eardrums that seem to just make you smile. Her guitar playing in combination with her voice create meditative trance-like states that grab the listener and wrap them in a supremely comfortable blanket of sound.

Member - Elizabeth Powell (Guitar, Vocals)

Go again @Magua

Nice pick! I somehow stumbled onto her music early on. Every once in a while I forget about her but always glad when I remember.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
My plan was to make Billy Corgan the more instrumental arm of my band, with supporting and occasional lead vocals, while acquiring the services of a lead singer. But that individual must be someone who also cannot be musically boxed in. I need a genre shape shifter.

The Honolulu Ghibli give a supergroup welcome to Ellie Rowsell (lead vocals, rhythm guitar, multi-instrumentals)

xo4ketcvk6301.jpg

Ellie Rowsell is best known as the front woman for the band Wolf Alice. She always gives me Thom Yorke vibes — keep your spite powder dry, I just mean vocally. Her voice is beautiful and ethereal, but it’s like she sometimes tries her best to rub some dirt on it.

Ellie will often vocally perform in speak-sing; she’ll go full on riot grrrl on the odd track (honestly, my least favorite mode); she’ll disguise her range and shoe gaze. But it’s all in service to the mood of the song because make no mistake, girl can belt. There’s such an explosion of intimacy when she wants to crank it. I love everything about her vibe — it’s a nervy cool energy. It’s real easy for me to imagine her singing a Pumpkins track, while also adding lyrics and creative direction herself.

166d8730d87ffc1b0a3fa4f8243a658470d92dd6.gifv

@JojoTheWhale -- "Whale Alice"......would be a band name

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Apologies for the delay. No phones on Valentine's Day. I'll make this one quick so we can get moving again.

While it's nice to have a catalog like Minor Threat's as evidence of his ability to do hardcore-styled vocals, we're selecting Ian MacKaye as Co-Lead Vocalist for his vital work in Fugazi, his role in inventing the D.C. local music scene, and his approach to not just the music business but his life as a whole. Stubbornness and resourcefulness embody the spirit of the project.

What you have to remember about the time period in which Fugazi started is that popular music had no resemblance to the scene MacKaye and friends built from scratch. Top 40 in 1988 consisted largely of sugary sweet synth pop acts and aging hair/heavy metal bands. MacKaye was doing this:

This live version of "Waiting Room" was chosen specifically because it allows you to see how Fugazi took the hip hop-style vocal foil and integrated it into their genre-bending sound. MacKaye was comfortable deferring to Picciotto just as de la Rocha could at times take a backseat to Rage's "DJ" RANCH. Fugazi is the musical blueprint for our Supergroup 2.

@Asnito You can't hurt me anymore. Knock yourself out.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
We stayed in. I made dinner and bought a VR game she's been wanting. Did you guys do anything? I know how hard it is aligning weird schedules, sadly.
Nice! What game? Sounds like a good time.

We are lucky! Not so weird. Girl is night shift also! She doesn't work 7 on 7 off, but at the very least if we both work we both are on the same schedule. Our day was on Saturday - we had week old plans for a game brunch at her sister's in Norristown with the clan. On shortish notice (like 4 days) we decided on skating at the River Rink at Penns Landing that night. Landed a reservation at Spasso's right across the street for dinner, had some great veal and a good supertuscan (my fav, haven't had one since Volterra) then enjoyed a couple hours of skating! It was a great time.

Thanks for asking bud

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
We thought about going a different direction with our lead singer such as western Canada's prodigal son George [Ranch] or Armenian-American [Ranchstan] but decided to go with Jeffrey Ross Hyman due to his song writing abilities.

Mr Hyman was a key member and front man of one of the most influential Punk bands of all time.

The Tijuana Toads are proud to select Joey Ramone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad