NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - SUPPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP 2 SUPERDRAFT!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
With Gilmour and and Chris Squire comes the addition of one of prog rock's most influential songwriters and instrumentalists: ROBERT FRIPP

Fripp invented and reinvented the art of sound. His frequent and masterful use of the melotron proved revolutionary, as was his pioneering in guitar sfx, which he called FRIPPERTRONICS. Oh by the way, also a sick guitarist.

Fripp will collaborate with Gilmour as the band's primary songwriters, and play the keyboards/melotron/synths/devices, co-lead guitar, and guitar

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
On lead vocals, one of my favorite voices, please welcome to Jacksonville, the voice of Heart, Ann Wilson!
upload_2022-2-15_15-21-14.gif

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Don't have a time for a full write-up here, so I'll wing it a bit.

ac5cd3ccf78eb2914aa174c606e2921047-14-guitar-lessons.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Pick #3: Richard Lloyd

Guitar legend and founding member of the seminal band Television, Lloyd will effortlessly play off of Lee & Chilton, because there's nothing he can't do on the instrument. He actually already played with Chilton during the latter's CBGB days as a member of Alex Chilton and the Cossacks. Meanwhile, Television's dueling guitars were inspired in part by Arthur Lee's Love.

Lloyd learned guitar from no less a virtuoso than Jimi Hendrix, if secondhand. Hendrix took on one pupil, Velvet Turner, whom he met while he was visiting New York. That's a @JojoTheWhale patented (non)pick-tip, because no one is taking Turner unless they already intended to and I'd be supremely impressed if that were the case, given that he had an extremely short career in music, albeit including session work with none other than Arthur Lee.

Lloyd tagged along with his childhood friend Turner to meet Hendrix and Turner showed him the ropes of Hendrix's style. They even had a code name for Hendrix they used around their friends: Jamie Neverts. Lloyd saw future bandmate and guitar dueling partner [Ranch] playing with his band at CBGB and decided that he had what they needed, and Television was born. They played a heady jazz-influenced guitar-forward style that could perhaps best be described as avant-punk that would go on to influence any number of bands in the 80's, 90's, and beyond. Here's one of my personal faves, which highlights Lloyd's playing:

Since Television parted ways (initially), Lloyd has done quite a bit of solo work while also being heavily in demand by musicians across the country. Chilton & Lee are going to scoop him up quickly to join their supergroup in the Quackverse. Maybe they run into each other at show at CBGB's or something.

@Strawberry Fields

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Right, so when it comes to drummers, I need mine to have quick hands, but more than anything I need him to have heavy hands - I need him to sound like he is punishing the drums. I'm pretty sure some of what I hear when I listen to drums in music is down to mixing and engineering, but that's fine - I need to really HEAR the drums in a song. I find that a lot of times it can get buried in the mix of instruments, and I don't like that.

I'm doing something a little different with this pick, in a way. I'm not relying on what I hear on record or radio. As I've said many times, I haven't gone to that many concerts (mostly because I never know what to do with myself, but also because St. Louis is a shithole and also because I never had any money), but one concert I went to, my first, was INXS, and they blew me away. This guy in particular blew my mind - he was so, SO ***ing good. I don't think it's possible to understand how good he is just from the records, but I am telling you - he is amazing.

I also think he can help pull our music slightly out of the garage and toward New Wave - not too heavily, not all the time, just a bit and just sometimes. You should hear how he sounds on this beauty live - just amazing.

We obviously got badly sniped by that Sandwich bastard, but this is fine. Our guy is a goofball who everyone has always loved, and we are happy to have him.

jon-farriss-492527-normal.jpg

Member (phrasing) - Jon Farriss - drums, backing vocals, synths

@Lord Defect

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Fripp invented and reinvented the art of sound. His frequent and masterful use of the melotron proved revolutionary, as was his pioneering in guitar sfx, which he called FRIPPERTRONICS. Oh by the way, also a sick guitarist.

I was thinking about taking him, bb.

I think Fripp's work with Bowie is up there with the best session stuff ever. It's beyond session work. He did the "Heroes" album in 3 days, the songs not even having lyrics or developed choruses. Just came in, not knowing the songs, put some mind blowing shit down that totally changes the album. Then ditto for Scary Monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad