NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE FOURTEEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I hope so. Her music sucks. Just like Bieber. Be better Panther.
The issue is some of it does. When it's over-angsted to shit and overproduced with bass distortion, she isn't good. She has some really beautiful songs that really play to her strengths. It's all or nothing with her and unfortunately it seems like music media machine latches onto the nothing instead of the all, which is a shame

She is an exceptional talent despite being all or nothing

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I mean just look at when the party's over. B B7 A#dim!! B7. Beautiful.

That song musically is genius. It really is. You don't know what key/mode it's in until the bridge, and then it still tricks you. It just cycles through chords contained both in A major and E major (F#m, C#m, E, A). Not until the bridge is a key is established with a B major chord, placing the song into E major. But what happens? The F#m, C#m, E, A returns, and our ears lose the tonal center again, allowing the song to fool our ears into considering a song fully resolved when it ends on an A MAJOR WHICH IS NOT THE TONIC CHORD.

Also Billie is an expert at using silence as an instrument. And the queen of the harmonic minor, which enables functional harmony within a minor key (which features the most pleasing chord progressions to our ears) where functional harmony is otherwise intrinsically impossible.

The shocking dynamics changes, her perfect diction and vocal agility...she and Fineas are both extraordinary

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I mean just look at when the party's over. B B7 A#dim!! B7. Beautiful.

That song musically is genius. It really is. You don't know what key/mode it's in until the bridge, and then it still tricks you. It just cycles through chords contained both in A major and E major (F#m, C#m, E, A). Not until the bridge is a key is established with a B major chord, placing the song into E major. But what happens? The F#m, C#m, E, A returns, and our ears lose the tonal center again, allowing the song to fool our ears into considering a song fully resolved when it ends on an A MAJOR WHICH IS NOT THE TONIC CHORD.

Also Billie is an expert at using silence as an instrument. And the queen of the harmonic minor, which enables functional harmony within a minor key (which features the most pleasing chord progressions to our ears) where functional harmony is otherwise intrinsically impossible.

The shocking dynamics changes, her perfect diction and vocal agility...she and Fineas are both extraordinary
She’s very talented, but, for the most part, her songs just aren’t my cup of tea.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
So like now?
Because I’m not ready to release it. Do I have to?
5tvw2a.jpg

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The stay Pufts need a legendary lawyer to have on retainer. For reasons.
Some lawyers can beat the mafia, some the government. Big whoop.
We got us a lawyer that beat the devil in a contract for a soul.

254938B1-A525-47F2-82FA-70777B7C1742.jpeg

Daniel Webster, from The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)

63A175B4-76CD-4EFB-A816-CD8C50C9B694.jpeg

@Captain Dave Poulin who is up?
I don’t have a hill to die on, I’m right about everything, you’ll probably be disappointed in what I eventually come up with.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The stay Pufts need a legendary lawyer to have on retainer. For reasons.
Some lawyers can beat the mafia, some the government. Big whoop.
We got us a lawyer that beat the devil in a contract for a soul.

View attachment 504323

Daniel Webster, from The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)

View attachment 504324

@Captain Dave Poulin who is up?
I don’t have a hill to die on, I’m right about everything, you’ll probably be disappointed in what I eventually come up with.

You just have to choose one of the points of your rightness on which the rest of the world is the most wrong.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The good news is that it's not raining. The bad news is that it's not snowing, either. It's pissing ice, which makes me excited for the Olympics.

tumblr_nlizhwxHZ51s3dw0xo1_540.gifv

We start the day with @Young Sandwich on the clock and Florida Man on deck. Everything I said yesterday still stands, since we basically stood still yesterday. @pit is on the lido deck. He has a fictional owner, a hill to die on, and a babe to pick. No babe threads. mja is on the lido afterdeck. He has two slots and a babe to stuff. Oops. @Strawberry Fields can make up his pick whenever he has time.

Last night I had this amazing sausage soup. It was delicious going down, but apparently it wants to be explosive going out. That statement should prevent any babe threads from appearing. I feel like an Olympian whose team dinner was food-poisoned by the Chinese. Allegedly. It's fine, though, because there is no more NHL bullshit until next week. I checked just now and found out that we don't have to deal with this decrepit, doomed franchise again until February 9. That's about as good as we can hope for until we reach the summer or the Quackverse, whichever comes first.

That goober Ryan Smith is on TV and I can't even. Enjoy your day and make some picks, bruv.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Was yesterday the first time we didn't have a single pick made in a calendar day? That's just simply not good enough. We need to be better, and it starts right now with me.

When I first laid eyes on the Team Fictional Owner category, it frightened and excited me. I immediately assumed @Captain Dave Poulin was going to attempt to skin me alive with that pick. The possibilities were endless. I decided to hold out and see what direction he went before I responded. I didn't want to just eviscerate him if he was planning to play nice, you know? It turned out to be the right move, as he kind of took it easy on me with a great pick in Max Goldman. I loved the Grumpy Old Men movies growing up, and Max was a legendary pervert.

So now let's direct our attention over to Cap and see what we can conjure up here. What do we know about him through years of posting on a shitty hockey team's message board? Well here's a handy little list to help us out:
- Lover of all things Japanese
- He is/was an author/writer
- Highly entrenched in the hermit life
- A master and mentor of spite
- Has a knack for self-deprecating humor
- He is wise and inclined to force his knowledge upon anyone willing to listen
- Is an old pervert

Of course there is more to Cap, but we're trying to create a narrative here, so chill the f*** out. With all that information, I knew I wanted to dive into the manga/anime universe to find my guy. This is very much out of my comfort zone, as I have little to no experience with this stuff short of the discussions about it on this board. My research led me to who I thought was a perfect pick. I had the name Sanji written down for several days in anticipation of jumping into a write up. Luckily I decided to check the spreadsheet before diving in. Would you f***ing believe that Cap actually took this guy for his Team Cook already? Though disheartening, it gave me hope that I was on the right track.

It ended up being a blessing in disguise, as I stumbled upon a character known by various spot-on aliases that seemed to hit the nail on the head. Including, but not limited to: Perverted Hermit, Pervy Sage, The Village's Madness, Perverted Egghead, and self-proclaimed Super Pervert. That last one even ties into our Supergroup, The Superverts. Everything I read about this guy fits nearly perfectly. So it is written, so it shall be done.

0c09ab498d37c1a73b7bcb6fce8c3bc0_f283d7aab2c07f56d6311841c2734031.jpg

Team Fictional Owner - Jiraiya

Take a bong rip @BiggE because it's time to pick.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
- Lover of all things Japanese
- He is/was an author/writer
- Highly entrenched in the hermit life
- A master and mentor of spite
- Has a knack for self-deprecating humor
- He is wise and inclined to force his knowledge upon anyone willing to listen
- Is an old pervert

Accurate.

It ended up being a blessing in disguise, as I stumbled upon a character known by various spot-on aliases that seemed to hit the nail on the head. Including, but not limited to: Perverted Hermit, Pervy Sage, The Village's Madness, Perverted Egghead, and self-proclaimed Super Pervert. That last one even ties into our Supergroup, The Superverts. Everything I read about this guy fits nearly perfectly. So it is written, so it shall be done.

I haven't watched "Naruto" yet, but I am familiar with that character. Great pick. I just hope this doesn't make me act more perverted, because I don't need any encouragement.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Brace yourself for the pain.

The date was May 24, 1980. The place, the shitbox that is Nassau County Coliseum. The event, game 6 of the 1980 Stanley Cup final, Flyers vs Islanders. The Flyers were loaded that season especially up front. From the Cup squads they featured star players like Clarke, Barber, Leach and Macleish along with checking forward Bob Kelly. Over the previous few seasons they had added all of the following to their arsenal: Paul Holmgren, Mel Bridgman, Ken Linseman, John Paddock, Brian Propp and Al Hill. On D, they were led by vets Bob Dailey, Andre Dupont and Jim Watson, along with the dynamic youngster, Behn Wilson and long time journeymen vets Norm Barnes, Frank Bathe and Mike Busniuk. In goal they were backstopped by steady veteran Phil Myre and impressive rookie netminder Pete Peeters. Finally, the team was coached to play an uptempo, high pressure attacking style by their innovative new coach, Pat Quinn.

The Flyers had set a north American pro sports record during the regular season by going 35 games (25-0-10) without a loss and they finished with an NHL best record of 48-12-20 for an impressive 116 points. The Flyers opened up the playoffs by sweeping the young and inexperienced Edmonton Oilers in 3 games. They then got some revenge for 1979 on their rivals the NY Rangers by smoking them in five. They moved on to the semis where Bill Barber would lead the way by scoring 9 goals and 12 points in only 5 games as they crushed the Minnesota North Stars in five and they were off to the final.

The Islanders had been a contender for a few years and were a deep and talented team, backstopped in the net by the big game money goalie, Billy Smith. But most experts were picking the Flyers to win. Sadly, the Flyers were not just playing the Isles, but also the NHL front office. The Flyers had been NHL public enemy #1 since 1972 or so, and the bias of the officials was blatant. Over the course of the series, the Isles had about a 4-1 ratio advantage in powerplays which was just ridiculous and utter b.s. Still the Flyers would fight on. After losing game one on an OT pp goal by Denis Potvin (don't forget this was an era where penalties were NEVER called in OT unless someone was yanked down from behind on a breakaway or decapitated); the Flyers rallied to crush the Isles in game 2 by a score of 8-3.

Moving back to Uniondale for games 3 and 4, the Flyers seemed to be shorthanded pretty much all the time and the Isles skated off with 2 straight victories. Back in Philly for game five, they were down 1-0 after the first. The Flyers came on strong in the 2nd and on goals by Clarke, Macleish and shockingly, Mike Busniuk, they took a 3-2 lead into the 3rd. The Flyers would score 3 more in the 3rd and skate off with a convincing 6-3 victory.

So back to Long Island we went. The Islanders knew it would come down to this game as, to a man, they were fearful of having to back to the Spectrum for a winner take all game 7. Reggie Leach opened up the scoring with a pp goal but the Isles tied it up on a pp goal by Denis Potvin. The replay seemed to show that Potvin knocked the puck in with a high stick, but there was no challenge or replay officials in this era so the goal stood. But don't worry, it gets worse!

Less than 3 minutes after Potvin's questionable goal, the Islanders entered the Flyers zone way offside. In fact, they were so offside that you could see the Flyers slow down in anticipation of the whistle. However linseman Leon Stickle was either on the take or just horrifically incompetent and he missed the call. Before the Flyers could recover, Duane Sutter scored to give the Isles the lead. It was an outrageously blown call, but, to the Flyers credit they kept working and late in the period they tied it up on a goal by rookie Brian Propp.

The 2nd period was not a good one for the Flyers as the Isles scored twice to take a 4-2 lead and it looked like the season was over. But the Flyers of that era never, EVER, quit! On 3rd period goals by Bob Dailey and John Paddock they tied the game up at 4 and brought us to OT and to my most crushing sports moment.

The Flyers had a few chances early, but, at 7:11 of the OT, Bobby f***ing Nystrom scored to give the Islanders the Cup and to break my 14 year old heart. It was at that moment that I truly realized that life wasn't fair and that being a Philly sports fan was a curse. Many horrid Philly sports moments would follow, but this was the one that I'll never forget.

MOST CRUSHING SPORTS MOMENT: NYSTROM SCORES IN OT, GAME 6, 1980 SCF

@pit please take me away from this agony

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Brace yourself for the pain.

The date was May 24, 1980. The place, the shitbox that is Nassau County Coliseum. The event, game 6 of the 1980 Stanley Cup final, Flyers vs Islanders. The Flyers were loaded that season especially up front. From the Cup squads they featured star players like Clarke, Barber, Leach and Macleish along with checking forward Bob Kelly. Over the previous few seasons they had added all of the following to their arsenal: Paul Holmgren, Mel Bridgman, Ken Linseman, John Paddock, Brian Propp and Al Hill. On D, they were led by vets Bob Dailey, Andre Dupont and Jim Watson, along with the dynamic youngster, Behn Wilson and long time journeymen vets Norm Barnes, Frank Bathe and Mike Busniuk. In goal they were backstopped by steady veteran Phil Myre and impressive rookie netminder Pete Peeters. Finally, the team was coached to play an uptempo, high pressure attacking style by their innovative new coach, Pat Quinn.

The Flyers had set a north American pro sports record during the regular season by going 35 games (25-0-10) without a loss and they finished with an NHL best record of 48-12-20 for an impressive 116 points. The Flyers opened up the playoffs by sweeping the young and inexperienced Edmonton Oilers in 3 games. They then got some revenge for 1979 on their rivals the NY Rangers by smoking them in five. They moved on to the semis where Bill Barber would lead the way by scoring 9 goals and 12 points in only 5 games as they crushed the Minnesota North Stars in five and they were off to the final.

The Islanders had been a contender for a few years and were a deep and talented team, backstopped in the net by the big game money goalie, Billy Smith. But most experts were picking the Flyers to win. Sadly, the Flyers were not just playing the Isles, but also the NHL front office. The Flyers had been NHL public enemy #1 since 1972 or so, and the bias of the officials was blatant. Over the course of the series, the Isles had about a 4-1 ratio advantage in powerplays which was just ridiculous and utter b.s. Still the Flyers would fight on. After losing game one on an OT pp goal by Denis Potvin (don't forget this was an era where penalties were NEVER called in OT unless someone was yanked down from behind on a breakaway or decapitated); the Flyers rallied to crush the Isles in game 2 by a score of 8-3.

Moving back to Uniondale for games 3 and 4, the Flyers seemed to be shorthanded pretty much all the time and the Isles skated off with 2 straight victories. Back in Philly for game five, they were down 1-0 after the first. The Flyers came on strong in the 2nd and on goals by Clarke, Macleish and shockingly, Mike Busniuk, they took a 3-2 lead into the 3rd. The Flyers would score 3 more in the 3rd and skate off with a convincing 6-3 victory.

So back to Long Island we went. The Islanders knew it would come down to this game as, to a man, they were fearful of having to back to the Spectrum for a winner take all game 7. Reggie Leach opened up the scoring with a pp goal but the Isles tied it up on a pp goal by Denis Potvin. The replay seemed to show that Potvin knocked the puck in with a high stick, but there was no challenge or replay officials in this era so the goal stood. But don't worry, it gets worse!

Less than 3 minutes after Potvin's questionable goal, the Islanders entered the Flyers zone way offside. In fact, they were so offside that you could see the Flyers slow down in anticipation of the whistle. However linseman Leon Stickle was either on the take or just horrifically incompetent and he missed the call. Before the Flyers could recover, Duane Sutter scored to give the Isles the lead. It was an outrageously blown call, but, to the Flyers credit they kept working and late in the period they tied it up on a goal by rookie Brian Propp.

The 2nd period was not a good one for the Flyers as the Isles scored twice to take a 4-2 lead and it looked like the season was over. But the Flyers of that era never, EVER, quit! On 3rd period goals by Bob Dailey and John Paddock they tied the game up at 4 and brought us to OT and to my most crushing sports moment.

The Flyers had a few chances early, but, at 7:11 of the OT, Bobby f***ing Nystrom scored to give the Islanders the Cup and to break my 14 year old heart. It was at that moment that I truly realized that life wasn't fair and that being a Philly sports fan was a curse. Many horrid Philly sports moments would follow, but this was the one that I'll never forget.

MOST CRUSHING SPORTS MOMENT: NYSTROM SCORES IN OT, GAME 6, 1980 SCF

@pit please take me away from this agony

Gross. Imagine caring that much again.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Accurate.

I haven't watched "Naruto" yet, but I am familiar with that character. Great pick. I just hope this doesn't make me act more perverted, because I don't need any encouragement.
I was so proud of myself for finding Sanji with my less than zero anime experience, as he seemed like a solid choice. Of course you already took him. :laugh:

Now back to our regularly scheduled Quackverse rivalry.

0D509o.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I was so proud of myself for finding Sanji with my less than zero anime experience, as he seemed like a solid choice. Of course you already took him. :laugh:

Now back to our regularly scheduled Quackverse rivalry.

0D509o.gif

Sanji would have been absolutely perfect :laugh: I didn't have a choice, though - I hate every single other chef on Earth except for a few Japanese chefs I have heard of, and it would have been a ridiculous reach to grab them.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
For Team Hill To Die On, I couldn't decide if I wanted the "completely obvious who could refute this?" kind of option like declaring Liz Phair better than Alanis Morrissette or if I wanted to drop a lure in the water with some controversial bait, like ranking Star Wars movies. I'll let you decide which way I went #lore.

Team Hill To Die On: @Striiker is a good noodle.

@mja , I imagine you have both a gif and a pick at the ready.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
For Team Hill To Die On, I couldn't decide if I wanted the "completely obvious who could refute this?" kind of option like declaring Liz Phair better than Alanis Morrissette or if I wanted to drop a lure in the water with some controversial bait, like ranking Star Wars movies. I'll let you decide which way I went #lore.

Team Hill To Die On: @Striiker is a good noodle.

@mja , I imagine you have both a gif and a pick at the ready.
Well he is my grandson so I can’t argue with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad