Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I’m posting here on my birthday… I have a huge problem lmao
OIP.aCdT1hgzt7RdMV39pFzZywAAAA

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I’m posting here on my birthday… I have a huge problem lmao
It just goes to show you that our HFAvs community is united by our shared pessimism towards the Avs, which is the gift that keeps on giving, even on birthdays

Hope you have a good one!

Reactions: BrickNHL

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Like I said, I can completely understand the website owners wanting to monetize their product. The service is definitely worth paying for. It's just a god-damned shame that these services can't be sold to the public now. How does the model shake out with what they sold the company for vs what they could have made in a subscription model that charges a set amount per year for however long they wanted to run it and then sell it to someone who would commit to do the same?

The Athletic is failing because they can't pay the number of journalists they hired because they never found a true price for their product and grew way too agressively to sustain their model after the influct of initial investor money ran out (i.e. it was never a sustainable plan because they never had an accurate revenue projection.)

But with capfriendly, the design was complete, all that is happening is continuously updating a spreadsheet in the background with new contract info. It's not hard and really doesn't require many people, rather just a good connection to the data. The fact that they've been able to put up info so quickly and then get the details such as NMC/NTC clauses so quickly is what was truly impressive to me.

There are alternative, but nobody else has chosen to display their information in such a concise, condensed package. Puckpedia insists on keeping 40+% of the width of the monitor blank. This causes the information to drag endlessly down the screen and makes visitors constantly scroll up and down while reviewing a team. A simple layout displaying the information for the entire team can absolutely fit on a single page. You just have to be willing to work for it. I can do it about 10-15 minutes with excel, so I don't understand why they deliberately make it a pain in the ass for their users.

Damn... I said earlier tonight I would try to limit screaming at the clouds. I'm such a f***ing failure. :laugh:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Like I said, I can completely understand the website owners wanting to monetize their product. The service is definitely worth paying for. It's just a god-damned shame that these services can't be sold to the public now. How does the model shake out with what they sold the company for vs what they could have made in a subscription model that charges a set amount per year for however long they wanted to run it and then sell it to someone who would commit to do the same?

The Athletic is failing because they can't pay the number of journalists they hired because they never found a true price for their product and grew way too agressively to sustain their model after the influct of initial investor money ran out (i.e. it was never a sustainable plan because they never had an accurate revenue projection.)

But with capfriendly, the design was complete, all that is happening is continuously updating a spreadsheet in the background with new contract info. It's not hard and really doesn't require many people, rather just a good connection to the data. The fact that they've been able to put up info so quickly and then get the details such as NMC/NTC clauses so quickly is what was truly impressive to me.

There are alternative, but nobody else has chosen to display their information in such a concise, condensed package. Puckpedia insists on keeping 40+% of the width of the monitor blank. This causes the information to drag endlessly down the screen and makes visitors constantly scroll up and down while reviewing a team. A simple layout displaying the information for the entire team can absolutely fit on a single page. You just have to be willing to work for it. I can do it about 10-15 minutes with excel, so I don't understand why they deliberately make it a pain in the ass for their users.

Damn... I said earlier tonight I would try to limit screaming at the clouds. I'm such a f***ing failure. :laugh:
The answer is... a boat ton of money - plus i'm pretty sure they get a very handsome annual salary on top of getting bought out.

They already had 7-8 teams that were paying for their tools and database. As much as we love Capfriendly, the casual fan subscription isn't worth much from a monetary perspective. There will eventually be another tool that has similar UI and interface, but I doubt they'll have the connections to have close to real-time data on transactions.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Maybe the Caps plan all along was to go over the cap but then have the fans pay for cap friendly subscriptions, and then stating that they aren’t in fact over the cap as it’s actually cap friendly and the fans that have the contract for the cap overages

I sort of get what you are saying but still...

Bewildered.gif

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I think Stutzle ends up the clear best player from that draft. He already has a 90 point season under his belt.

If Lafreniere could ever figure out how to play in the regular season the way he does in the playoffs, he'd give Stutzle a real run for his money as a dominant, ~80 point two-way top line winger with physicality but I have my doubts about that ever happening. He'll probably end up a really good 2nd line wing who can excel come playoff time.

Byfield is the one who can give Stutzle a run for his money if everything clicks.

Do statistics mean nothing to you? Or do you just look at the win column and think he must be great?

With goalie's - honestly? No - for me it's about wins / losses only. For many reasons. If we won 99% of our games, and our goalie had a .753 save percentage, I'd 100% be okay with them. It's a team sport, and every cog plays a part of the success or failure. I mean, could our defense had played better in front of Georgie? Could our forwards be better two ways? Who knows.

What I do know is that we once AGAIN came in the top 10 in the entire league, Georgiev got more games than most goalies, and got more wins than any other.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With goalie's - honestly? No - for me it's about wins / losses only. For many reasons. If we won 99% of our games, and our goalie had a .753 save percentage, I'd 100% be okay with them. It's a team sport, and every cog plays a part of the success or failure. I mean, could our defense had played better in front of Georgie? Could our forwards be better two ways? Who knows.

What I do know is that we once AGAIN came in the top 10 in the entire league, Georgiev got more games than most goalies, and got more wins than any other.
Wins and losses at a team stat, goalies can impact it positively or negatively... but at the core a team stat. The Avs win a lot of games and George plays a lot, therefore he benefits from the team a lot. When you break down beyond that stat, you'll find that George had an abysmal year that the team overcame.

If you want the Avs to win the Cup again with this team and the depth it currently has, you really need a much better goalie.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

See, that is a flawed argument. As hench mentions below, wins/losses are a team stat. This would be akin to being in a workplace where you have a team project and you've got one team member frequently being a massive burden (deleting parts of the excel sheet, having terrible communication skills with the clients you're working with, showing up late regularly). The project itself may be a massive success, but that is in spite of the one lagging team member and not due to them.

I've said this before. With the way the Avs are constructed, and will be constructed in the future I think they need to heavily invest in trying to find a true upper echelon goalie. They need someone who can steal them some wins, and to provide some confidence on the back end. Right now they have a goalie that costs them wins, and that makes the team have to cover for his mess. The man averaged 3GAA which means that the Avs had to regularly score 4+ goals to have a shot at winning. That's not great. 37 games this year he let in 3+ goals, of those games 25 of them he let in 4+. 58.7% of his games he's forcing the team to score 4+ goals, 37% of those games they need to score 5+. That's incredibly demoralizing for the team in front of you, that puts a lot of pressure on the top guys to regularly beat their opponents. By the way, the Avs were able to outscore their goalie giving up 3+ goals 14 times this year to get the W.

Long rant short, Georgie ain't helping the team to win. At his best, I would say he's at least the reason they aren't losing, at his worst he is 100% the reason the team lost. The Avs could get away with this level of goaltending when they had a bunch of cheaper contracts and guys outplaying their contracts, they can't afford that anymore. They need a goalie that can legitimately steal games, and where his average is that he contributes to wins.

Wins and losses at a team stat, goalies can impact it positively or negatively... but at the core a team stat. The Avs win a lot of games and George plays a lot, therefore he benefits from the team a lot. When you break down beyond that stat, you'll find that George had an abysmal year that the team overcame.

If you want the Avs to win the Cup again with this team and the depth it currently has, you really need a much better goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad