GDT: NHL Entry draft thread : Kings traded down w/ Mtl #21 for #26, 57 and 198

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Blake is taking a page right of the Lombardi’s book and trying to get War and Peace read so he knows how to deal with Kaliyev

Trading all our picks gives him a little bit extra time before he hast to hit the waves

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Arty has a really tough road now not getting traded. He’s going to be an NHL scrub in Ontario because GMs don’t see enough value to trade for him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
For the most part, I'm admittedly underwhelmed so far with the draft.

The good - trading down from 21 to 26 + acquiring picks
The meh - Trading what seems to be a lot for Jeannot, apparently not getting traction on dealing Kaliyev
The unknown - If Greentree will fit in with the org and if George was the right goalie taken

Reactions: Schrute farms

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024

The meh - Trading what seems to be a lot for Jeannot, apparently not getting traction on dealing Kaliyev
The unknown - If Greentree will fit in with the org and if George was the right goalie taken
Taking some hits on my views. My problem with Jeannot if he was coming in with a cap hit of 1.5 or so, I'd be ok, but that 2.6 and Including a 2nd is what gets me. I dont care what other teams were offering, I would have looked elsewhere

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I’m expecting Bluc to either not qualify Kaliyev and simply release him to UFA or hold onto him through the end of camp and try to sneak him through waivers.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
The Kings have needed a legit heavyweight that can skate a regular shift and score a few goals. 24 a few yrs ago and 41 pts. 1 more than PLD.Teams are going to run Clarke. Like Stone grabbed him last preseason and Brandt looked scared shttttlesss. And others have taken runs at him in Ontario. It’s part of the other teams game plan. No longer will happen. Tired of the Kings getting cheap shotted and this won’t happen as much.

You may just see the entire team play with a little more courage and knowing their backs are covered. I read that Jeannot was dealing with injuries the last few yrs. Hopefully, he’s healthy and a reason why he tailed off. Contract yr and hopefully has a big yr

Jeannot had 40 goals his last yr in juniors. As I recall. He can pot some. Iafallo never scored 20 on line 1 w Kopi.

Last edited:

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
1. Stain Solberg 6'2" (LD)
2. EJ Emery - 6'3" (RD)
3. Charlie Elick - 6'3" (RD)
4. Adam Kleber - 6'5" (RD)
5. Jesse Pulkkinen - 6'5" (LD)

If the Kings ended up with any of these 5 with their first two picks, I'd be really happy! The first two listed will probably be gone by pick 26. Maybe Elick at 26 and Pulkkinen at 57? I'd be jazzed! Clearing the crease needs to be a priority.

Was very sad, until I read about the Jeanott trade. Now, just a little sad.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

Agreed.

It'll be interesting to look back at this draft in 6-8 years and evaluate it -- namely:
  • Solberg miss if we'd have stayed at #21 -- is he a stud or dud?
  • Did Greentree become a top 6 player and worth passing on #21?
  • Did George become an NHL goalie and thus a smart move moving down to add him?
  • Was Tanner J a good trade adding him to the current team and changing the team mindset, giving young guys a big/tough guy as help, etc.? Or was he yet another wasted asset trade by Blake?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I think on the face of it they are decent picks but as you say they are ultimately unknowns.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Just dealt the 6th and a 7th to Anaheim to move up to take Jared Woolley.

LA acquires pick 164 from Anaheim for picks 182 and 214.
6'4" 207 lb LHD out of London...played with Kaleb Lawrence and at the Memorial Cup...he must have looked good.

Defensively, Woolley’s overpowering. He throws big hits at his blue line, beats down opponents in front of his net, sets picks, and traps attackers along the boards. In transition, he’s always looking for the high-value breakout pass and deceives opponents to get it. He joins rushes, walks in space before firing, and tries to set up chances around the slot. -EliteProspects 2024 NHL Draft Guide

Looks like London added him, midseason from a lower league...that bodes well, to be added to London, when they're making a run. Kings probably saw him a lot. Was over a PPG in the lower league.

2021-22
undefined flag
Trinity College School
CISAA1111210-
undefined flag
Quinte Red Devils U16 AAA
ETAHL U16262111324-Playoffs81780-
2022-23
undefined flag
Quinte Red Devils U18 AAA
ETAHL U18365192452-Playoffs70442-
2023-24