GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Kahkonen didn't have many other places to go. All the other goalies signed and it was down to Winnipeg/Vegas/Colorado/Tampa as teams who maybe could use a backup goalie. Vegas signed Ilya Samsonov and Colorado is capped out. Tampa might be saving their money elsewhere and they have Jonas Johansson signed at the league minimum to be backup.

And maybe Kahkonen looked at what Laurent Brossoit got today and thinks he could replicate that sort of season in Winnipeg. I think Connor Hellebuyck said he was running on empty in the playoffs, so I wonder if they look to lighten his workload slightly?

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I like that contract for Montreal. Slaf made huge strides the last 30-40 games last year.
Yeah, it's not to say he's going to be a player on the level of Jack Hughes, but this has a lot of shades of the deal Jack got where it was relatively obvious he was better than he had shown to that point.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Trotz today

xrd-exrd.gif

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Why would Fitzgerald not only pin us to the end of the cap before July 2nd but also not leave any room for the deadline on the roster?

Some mix Hischier Hughes Meier Bratt Mercer Palat is the top-6

Thats plenty fine with Mercer in line for a better season by default, for not being on the third line with names like Tierney

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why would Fitzgerald not only pin us to the end of the cap before July 2nd but also not leave any room for the deadline on the roster?

Some mix Hischier Hughes Meier Bratt Mercer Palat is the top-6

Thats plenty fine with Mercer in line for a better season by default, for not being on the third line with names like Tierney
Clearly he wasn't satisfied with the top six if he was going for Marscheault. But this is pretty much what we're stuck with now barring a trade or cheap reclamation project a la 2012 Sykora.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
On paper, Markstrom/Allen over Vitek/Schmid, Pesce over Marino, and Dillon over BahlSmith are all upgrades. The problem is the combined cap hit is much higher. We lost Toffoli with basically no replacement. McLeod isn't really replaced. Noesen over Holtz is an upgrade there at least. But just looking at the consensus top 12 forwards heading into last year vs. now, it's not crazy to say it is a downgrade.

Last year we expected the offense to carry the team and it didn't happen. This year we're clearly banking on the defense and goaltending really stepping up. I'm a believer that can work, but we will definitely need those top 4 forwards to carry us sometimes offensively. It's not the way I expected Fitz to approach the offseason.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Signing henrique would be good for the soul but probably not ideal for the reality.

How fast is henrique these days? He was pretty banged up last season and even got injured after the trade deadline and into the playoffs run.

Would be weary how physically healthy he is for next season.

Would I want Rico back if he were fully healthy, sure but only for a short contract. I remember people complaining about his speed when we traded him that season even.

Would be interesting to have him back though, not sure it is truly the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad