GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
10 years from now, some posters will still be clamoring for Tatar because of his xGF%. :laugh:

I don't see it. Maybe a few years ago you could pencil him in for 20 goals as a complementary winger in your top 6. But not anymore.
He's one of the most overrated Devils of recent years. Kulikov being a distant second.

Don't get me wrong, Tatar was really good for us in 22-23. But he was just okay in 21-22 and the 23-24 version of him was more like the 21-22 version, only 2 years older/2 years worse. I don't think his sub-30 points would have done much for us last year.

And I also would have been fine with signing him for the really cheap deal he got last year, but we weren't really missing much, considering we weren't going to get the 22-23 version of him. We were going to get the 23-24 version of him, and the 23-24 version wasn't good.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
79902E5B-C01B-444B-86F7-65879BB553A6.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He's one of the most overrated Devils of recent years. Kulikov being a distant second.

Don't get me wrong, Tatar was really good for us in 22-23. But he was just okay in 21-22 and the 23-24 version of him was more like the 21-22 version, only 2 years older/2 years worse. I don't think his sub-30 points would have done much for us last year.

And I also would have been fine with signing him for the really cheap deal he got last year, but we weren't really missing much, considering we weren't going to get the 22-23 version of him. We were going to get the 23-24 version of him, and the 23-24 version wasn't good.
Boqvist too, at least Tatar contributed a little bit more as a player tbh.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Boqvist too, at least Tatar contributed a little bit more as a player tbh.
I don't think many people were that upset about Boqvist leaving when he actually did leave. It seemed like people were really lamenting him after he scored a few goals for Boston, well after the fact.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

They are worse on defense today, but from a dollar value I think Carolina did pretty well. 12.5 out for Pesce and Skjei, less than 7 in for Walker and Ghost. On salary cap efficiency, that's not bad.

They still bled the actual talent level of the team a bit with those moves and they are hurting on the actual defensive side of the defensemen they have, but their top 6 doesn't look awful or anything:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Walker
Ghost - Chatfield

They really need that bounce back from Orlov this year though, otherwise it'll need some work.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
There currently is no hole - at least, not based on contract totals

Whether this is the lineup youd make or not:

Palat-Hischier-Meier
Bratt-Hughes-Mercer
Cotter-Haula-Noesen
Foote-Lazar-Bastian

With Mercer still needing to be re-signed, so youre talking only a 2-2.5m to work with. That isnt getting a middle-6 forward

This is 1 injury away from being an absolute disaster. I don't feel comfortable with it. We don't have any backup in the AHL either. Shitty drafting is going to start hurting them

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We'll probably have to move Palat just to sign Luke. We really don't have much coming off the cap next summer.
A look at cap friendly (RIP) shows that they will free up: Bastian ($1.35) Lazar ($1) Allen ($1.925) Kovacevik ($776) DeSimone ($776) and the Kovy penalty ($250). Now from all of that, they probably only save about $2 mil once they replace everyone. Luke also currently hits at $925k. There is still some cap available. If they bridge Mercer maybe they have an additional $2.75. So far that's maybe $5 mil for him? If the cap goes up another $5 mil they will have enough space but it will be close. I don't see Palat moving until after next season not before next season. If Siegs doesn't bounce back my guess is he goes before Palat.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
for as bad of value fitz got on holtz in a trade. I think Ottawa did worse with trading chychrun. Washington has made some good additions

I don't even think the value was bad in the holtz trade. Look at the overpayment going on for big guys who can skate and hit and chip in just a little bit on offense. I think people are underestimating where the league is at with guys like Cotter and overestimating the worth of a soft winger with off puck issues (that's not meant to disparage Holtz so much as just call him out for what he is right now)

I just don't think I would have done it. Think I would have just played out the string on Holtz and see what happens. But at least Cotter is cheap and can contribute.

Reactions: Guadana and Mgd31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad