GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Whiffing on the Holtz pick really really hurts as you don’t have a cost controlled top-six goal scorer. Think that’s a big deal for a cap pressed team.
Yeah but we also lucked into Nemec and Luke so, all things being equal, Im glad we missed on that pick and not the defense that really needed it

So what in the world is Washington doing with it's cap this year?
Being... friendly? Double entendre

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
So much so that they are currently 15 million over the cap lol.

I mean, they'll throw backstrom on ltir, but they are over the 10% threshold for off season right now, and even with Backstrom on LTIR, I think they are still like 5+ million over the cap
I edited late but was just going for the double entendre lmao

As someone said maybe dump Oshie

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
So disclaimer: all UFA signing are bad on some level, there's always a tax you have to pay for these players in order to get the winning bid. BUT - on what appears to be the craziest July 1st in close to a decade, I think we have done really well so far.

Do I wish Dillon made 1M less? Yeah. Do I wish Pesce got 5 years instead of 6? Of course. But compared to the rest of the league, these are some of the least offensive contracts that were signed today and both will immediately improve the roster. Noesen, I like that he's coming back and should provide a bit more juice to the bottom-6.

Likewise, we absolutely made the correct move not matching not matching Marchessault's deal. Love the player, I don't want a 38 year old on this team anytime soon.

I think it's really hard to be mad at what we did today, especially looking at some of the other contracts that were thrown around. The team is better and the risk, while still there, is not bad IMO.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
That has to be it, right? Unless I'm just unaware that he's going on LTIR as well?
Only thing that makes sense. They're $4.8 Million over with Backstrom LTIR'd and Oshie is 37 with 1 year at $5.7 Million left. They could feasibly dump him to one of the teams not on his no team list for an ELC forward or just promote Miro to replace him if they can fully dump him.

Reactions: Forge

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Fitz in the front office

the-menu-fiennes.gif

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Lacking productive Cs in UFA right now, Henrique has crazy leverage. Like Stephenson getting term and $6.25aav.

Assume Henrique wants 3x$5 at a minimum....not sure how the team makes that work (for those that want him back).

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Looks like you guys signed Colton White back after he spent the last couple years with the Ducks and AHL San Diego.

White has the second longest active goalless streak to start an NHL career (84 games) from his previous tenure with the Devils and last year with the Ducks. Trails only Will Lagesson who is up to 100 scoreless games, Ducks had them both last year because of course we did.

If White makes his way up to your lineup due to injuries, gotta cheer extra hard if he scores. It will be a long time coming.

Reactions: dzubrus8

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So how's the roster looking? I'm guessing:

Meier-Nico-Bratt
??-Jack-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Noesen
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian (or Tierney, or Foote, or MacDermid)

Luke-Pesce
Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Dillon-Nemec
Kovacevic

Markstrom
Allen

Does this look right to you folks? I'm also guessing it might make some sense to replace those question marks with a guy like Adam Henrique.

• Wow
Reactions: SJinNewJersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad