GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
We have 0 assets to make it work at this point. I don't think it will be smart to trade Casey because we will have to ship out Hamilton next year (most likely)
Hamilton isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I would be shocked if we ever move him, if we do it will be his last year probably.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't had time to go on the boards today, but I wanted to jump in a celebrate another banner day for the franchise.

It is an absolutely tremendous upgrade for the blueline to add two outstanding defensemen in RD Brett Pesce and LD Brandan Dillon, both at reasonable deals.

Both are shut-down defenders. Both kill penalties. Both are extremely high-IQ, high-compete players.

These two offer a huge upgrade over the combo of RD John Marino, who I liked, and LD Brendan Smith, who I had some issues with. But Pesce is just far better than Marino in the same player-type of cerebral, defensive defenseman while Dillon is better than Smith in every respect -- a lot more physical but simultaneously less prone to taking penalties, better both on and off the puck, stronger and faster.

Adding RW Noesen was also a terrific move, as he's a quick, physical guy who can slot all over the bottom 9 and kill penalties while popping in a few goals.

The fact that Pesce and Noesen were nabbed from arch-rival Carolina -- who took a huge hit today in free agency -- just makes it even better.

Oh, and I'm only going to say it once, but the Devils final need is either for a 2nd line LW or a 3rd line C, one of which will be filled by Haula. This sounds to me a lot like.... well, Adam Henrique. Who is still unsigned. There, I said it.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Dougie is not moveable until his final year

No team is trading for the cap hit of an 'overpaid' defenseman as you put and paying him 17mil in signing bonuses

And if you think were paying them to then trade him, that isnt happening either lol

Everyone should just hop off the Dougie traded train - hes still our best defenseman who chose to come here and will be here until damn near his deal is over, or the final year is moved

Luke and Simon will still get paid - the cap is rising with zero meaningful forwards to sign. The Dougie moved next year or thereafter noise is just crap

We're barely under the cap, Luke will get 8m minimum. Where is that space coming from?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This is 1 injury away from being an absolute disaster. I don't feel comfortable with it. We don't have any backup in the AHL either. Shitty drafting is going to start hurting them
cAK4K3vJnwSgB1ZR.jpg

Please save us Arseni Gritsyuk

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They are worse on defense today, but from a dollar value I think Carolina did pretty well. 12.5 out for Pesce and Skjei, less than 7 in for Walker and Ghost. On salary cap efficiency, that's not bad.

They still bled the actual talent level of the team a bit with those moves and they are hurting on the actual defensive side of the defensemen they have, but their top 6 doesn't look awful or anything:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Walker
Ghost - Chatfield

They really need that bounce back from Orlov this year though, otherwise it'll need some work.
I'm skeptical Burns is really a top pair guy this upcoming season. I doubt he has 80 games of over 20 minutes per night in him. Slavin is the only sure thing on that defense for this upcoming season. They will play with discipline and structure and be solid but they likely take some sort of step back unless the goaltending massively improves.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I haven't had time to go on the boards today, but I wanted to jump in a celebrate another banner day for the franchise.

It is an absolutely tremendous upgrade for the blueline to add two outstanding defensemen in RD Brett Pesce and LD Brandan Dillon, both at reasonable deals.

Both are shut-down defenders. Both kill penalties. Both are extremely high-IQ, high-compete players.

These two offer a huge upgrade over the combo of RD John Marino, who I liked, and LD Brendan Smith, who I had some issues with. But Pesce is just far better than Marino in the same player-type of cerebral, defensive defenseman while Dillon is better than Smith in every respect -- a lot more physical but simultaneously less prone to taking penalties, better both on and off the puck, stronger and faster.

Adding RW Noesen was also a terrific move, as he's a quick, physical guy who can slot all over the bottom 9 and kill penalties while popping in a few goals.

The fact that Pesce and Noesen were nabbed from arch-rival Carolina -- who took a huge hit today in free agency -- just makes it even better.

Oh, and I'm only going to say it once, but the Devils final need is either for a 2nd line LW or a 3rd line C, one of which will be filled by Haula. This sounds to me a lot like.... well, Adam Henrique. Who is still unsigned. There, I said it.
You know who would be in the bottom six this upcoming season if it hadn't been for his knee injury? Talvitie. That guy had NHL bottom six wing potential written all over him. He made it look easy with better players at the highest junior level. He was trending up after his first season at Penn St. But that knee injury just destroyed his skating. Really a shame. He'd have been a home run pick for where he was selected.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I'm skeptical Burns is really a top pair guy this upcoming season. I doubt he has 80 games of over 20 minutes per night in him. Slavin is the only sure thing on that defense for this upcoming season. They will play with discipline and structure and be solid but they likely take some sort of step back unless the goaltending massively improves.

That defense has big implosion potential, imo. Orlov and Burns in particular are getting old. Ghost is a net negative on actual defense. Walker is an ok add, but he also is a bit of an adventure in his own end.

Add in the crap goalies and boy, Canes could take a big step back.

Reactions: My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

I would expect the goaltending to get better. I'm not really prepared to say that freddie is fully cooked yet given how that season went with the bloodclots and whatnot. Ranta legit started about 25% of their games last year and was .872. Hard to be that bad again lol.

It wouldn't surprise me if Walker was the top guy at 5 on 5; Burns will still get good chunks of TOI on the PP, I imagine.

It's going to take a step back, but I thought they pivoted nicely and I think that defense will still be pretty decent all things considered.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
This is 1 injury away from being an absolute disaster. I don't feel comfortable with it. We don't have any backup in the AHL either. Shitty drafting is going to start hurting them
That can be offset by guys like Noesen Haula and Cotter being able to fill a role for a while if need be, so youd just be replacing a fourth liner
We're barely under the cap, Luke will get 8m minimum. Where is that space coming from?
Palat and one of Siegenthaler or Dillon will be moved on from; that frees up roughly 10million, plus the 4m-5m youll see in a cap bump

Whichever defenseman is moved will be replaced by a prospect or cheap veteran and Palat can be filled internally

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That defense has big implosion potential, imo. Orlov and Burns in particular are getting old. Ghost is a net negative on actual defense. Walker is an ok add, but he also is a bit of an adventure in his own end.

Add in the crap goalies and boy, Canes could take a big step back.
Carolina is one Slavin injury away from missing the playoffs entirely. But it's ok because, according to Rod Brind'Amour, the Hurricanes have won the past two Stanley Cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad