GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
c1c2c6285d4eb17c3ff50cfc556dd74ff66d31c1.gifv

But was Kovy 2.0 wearing shorts?

It's the pairing with the supreme court news today. Like lemons with capers so to speak.

A pineapple and olive pizza. Mama mia.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
On paper, Markstrom/Allen over Vitek/Schmid, Pesce over Marino, and Dillon over BahlSmith are all upgrades. The problem is the combined cap hit is much higher. We lost Toffoli with basically no replacement. McLeod isn't really replaced. Noesen over Holtz is an upgrade there at least. But just looking at the consensus top 12 forwards heading into last year vs. now, it's not crazy to say it is a downgrade.

Last year we expected the offense to carry the team and it didn't happen. This year we're clearly banking on the defense and goaltending really stepping up. I'm a believer that can work, but we will definitely need those top 4 forwards to carry us sometimes offensively. It's not the way I expected Fitz to approach the offseason.
To be fair it's probably easier to find 'scoring wing' help at the deadline if it comes to it than it is most of the other stuff Fitz has already gotten this offseason (big, physical D, goaltending, a legit coach).

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
To be fair it's probably easier to find 'scoring wing' help at the deadline if it comes to it than it is most of the other stuff Fitz has already gotten this offseason (big, physical D, goaltending, a legit coach).
Definitely. I'm not hating by any means.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
That ship has sailed. Actually, more like that ship has sunk.

He's probably grenaded. Wouldn't be completely shocked if he's played his final NHL game, though he may actually have one more year in him.
Think he was in talks to go back over seas anyways

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Clearly he wasn't satisfied with the top six if he was going for Marscheault. But this is pretty much what we're stuck with now barring a trade or cheap reclamation project a la 2012 Sykora.
Im still not sold on that rumor - why fill up another top-6 spot with term when Dawson is right there probably breaking through and then you have a -single- top-6 spot for the next five years

Its far more realistic to me that we try Mercer there under Keefe and get Palat a single year of top-6 production before hes moved; then you have an entire year or two after to entertain UFAs, trades, Gristyuk, etc...

We give away all the roster space and were stuck with that; its year one of contention, there will be better (and bigger lol) options

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Trot'z hangover will be so bad it could fell an elephant. No way all of those deals age well.
What else was Trotz supposed to do though? Especially after he cast the win-now die by re-committing to Saros. Maybe Nashville becomes Parise-land Minnesota but it's honestly worth giving it a shot for them at this point if you're not going to go the blowup route, they had 90 points two years ago and nearly 100 this year, they aren't the total rubbish people make them out to be and now they just gave a dose of Red Bull to their mediocre offense.

They kind of do have to try to win in the real near term while Josi and Saros still can be looked at as key players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad