GDT: NHL Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
throw in the towel. trade away anything we can. just like we should have done in 2009 when we were barely in 8th place at the deadline. that team just didn't have a chance and we just threw assets away at over the hill Billy Guerin and Hal Gill.

Yeah, the "forget this year" sentiment's pretty goofy.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
throw in the towel. trade away anything we can. just like we should have done in 2009 when we were barely in 8th place at the deadline. that team just didn't have a chance and we just threw assets away at over the hill Billy Guerin and Hal Gill.

I don't think they are good enough to win the Cup this year with this roster and player usage.

I do not think they will make the move they need to make to get over the hump.

I do think that having a single-minded focus on this year - throwing away assets for this year while not recouping any - is a losing prospect in the long run. You have to eventually restock. You have to eventually maximize the value of an asset. You can say "well, this is JR's first year," sure, but he's being punished for the Sins of the Father... Is it fair? No, but it's what he signed up for.

A lot can happen between now and then. There could be injuries to opponents, the team could click just right and dominate. I don't think they have a 0% chance, but it's less than 10%, in my mind (and I think that might be generous when you really look at it).

If that's the case, why wouldn't you want to set up the team better for the next 5 years rather than the next 5 weeks?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree, because geno can be effective with his line and no one can be effective on Sutter's line.

But I reallllllly have had enough of the shrine building this morning after reading some of Yuri's quoted posts, etc... so we can just agree that changes need to be made in certain areas and not worry about whether we agree exactly where. It's too early for me to booze.

Oh, I saw that ****. It's just so stupid. :help:

Look, if Sutter and Kunitz are part of that bigger deal under consideration over the weekend that Colligan mentioned, then I won't shed a tear. :D

I must confess that I was thinking of you when I saw the reference to 'gee, wonder how it will affect the room', which has been this organization's thinking ever since the Kunitz for Whitney deal.

Then again, I often think of you, but . . . :p:

EDIT: To repeat one thing, my thinking always has been 'you build around Sid and Geno first, because they're your advantage . . . everything else is secondary'. The matchups Geno will see are the one advantage the Pens will have in the playoffs.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
its like a team has to be the absolute odds on favorite or else it should give up and be a seller.

It is funny how people react haha. Pens have been one of the favorites in the east for the past couple years and look how that has worked out for them. Pens have a solid team ; prices are too high right now pens should just go into the playoffs with the team they have and hope they catch fire / get a little lucky. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Are the Rangers better then the pens? Probably. Could the pens still beat the Rangers in a 7 game series? They def could. Pens might not be the favorite but they could still find their way out of the east with good play and some luck

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Oh, I saw that ****. It's just so stupid. :help:

Look, if Sutter and Kunitz are part of that bigger deal under consideration over the weekend that Colligan mentioned, then I won't shed a tear. :D

I must confess that I was thinking of you when I saw the reference to 'gee, wonder how it will affect the room', which has been this organization's thinking ever since the Kunitz for Whitney deal.

Then again, I often think of you, but . . . :p:

:heart:

I'm so ****ing tired of hearing about the room. This team has underperformed since 2009. How about we stop worrying about their poor little feelings.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think they are good enough to win the Cup this year with this roster and player usage.

I do not think they will make the move they need to make to get over the hump.

I do think that having a single-minded focus on this year - throwing away assets for this year while not recouping any - is a losing prospect in the long run. You have to eventually restock. You have to eventually maximize the value of an asset. You can say "well, this is JR's first year," sure, but he's being punished for the Sins of the Father... Is it fair? No, but it's what he signed up for.

A lot can happen between now and then. There could be injuries to opponents, the team could click just right and dominate. I don't think they have a 0% chance, but it's less than 10%, in my mind (and I think that might be generous when you really look at it).

If that's the case, why wouldn't you want to set up the team better for the next 5 years rather than the next 5 weeks?
I don't want to see us go all in this year. But I also don't want to see us trade away guys like Martin and Ehrhoff for futures. We have a legitimate chance to win this year. It might not be a huge chance, but its not far off from any other team. Take away Martin and suddenly I don't think we have a legitimate chance. I think Martin improves our chances this year as much or more than a 1st round pick helps us over the next 5.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Deadline has slowwwwwwed down now.

There's some scientific principle that the act of observation changes the outcome of a particular event.

Think that's what's happened with the trade deadline. GMs started getting their deals done early so as to avoid the TSN/Sportsnet circus of deadline day. I mean, if the Oilers traded Ference to the Jets, these panels would act like it was Bourque to Colorado part 2. I would personally not want any part of that.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
There's some scientific principle that the act of observation changes the outcome of a particular event.

Think that's what's happened with the trade deadline. GMs started getting their deals done early so as to avoid the TSN/Sportsnet circus of deadline day. I mean, if the Oilers traded Ference to the Jets, these panels would act like it was Bourque to Colorado part 2. I would personally not want any part of that.

Do GM's really care about that stuff though?

TheCraigAdamsZone

Apr 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
did you just happen on this board this week? Almost no one on this board does that. The people you're passive-aggressively barking at are some of the smarter, more level headed people on this board. I guarantee you they see the issues with this team and are not ignoring them because of a 4-game win streak.

See this guy below:

To answer your question, Ogre. Yes, we should. I'm tired of seeing the same core collapse and come up short just as we have in the years after the '09 cup win. We're thinner than Comeau's hair in the drafting department right now, and when we get curb stomped by either the Rangers/Caps/Isles in the playoffs what do YOU think the Pens are going to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad