The defense is 1 piece away from being set.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
So you think getting scored on, not helping the team score, and not helping the PK is a benefit?

Benoit is someone who tries hard and hits, so people think he is being effective, but we are losing with him.

I like Benoit and it is a small sample size, and he did fairly well in a reduced role during the regular season, but those are the facts, sorry if you can't see them.

You can watch and still not follow what is happening... if you thought Benoit helped us win, then you are an example of that.

I saw Benoit being scored on and not helping us score... that doesn't pass the eye test.
I know I am wasting my time here but…..

Simon Benoit is a 3LHD who hits, fights, protects the goalie and clears the crease.

He makes life hard for attacking players and brings an element we don’t have too much of.

He does all of this for $1.35m.

If you feel you can’t win without your 3rd pairing stay at home defenceman scoring for you, then WTF are your forwards doing?

To key on your 3rd pairing defenceman is ridiculous, but help us out here and tell us who the 3rd pairing defenceman you and your facts make clear should be in place of Benoit.

Tyson Barrie per chance, is more to your liking?

Please enlighten us.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Simon Benoit is a 3LHD who hits, fights, protects the goalie and clears the crease.

He makes life hard for attacking players and brings an element we don’t have too much of.

If you feel you can’t win without your 3rd pairing stay at home defenceman scoring for you, then WTF are your forwards doing?

To key on your 3rd pairing defenceman is ridiculous, but help us out here and tell us who the 3rd pairing defenceman you and your facts make clear should be in place of Benoit.

Please enlighten us.

He was playing higher up in the lineup and getting scored on... that's the issue.

I think he is fine as a #6 (maybe even a #5), but people here are pretending like we struck gold, and he is playing out of this world, he may even be out #7 this year.

He isn't an example of not performing well on a bad team, coming here, and all of a sudden performing amazingly (that's how this convo started), nor is Lindholm.

I think an example of this (haven't looked into this) would be Toews, I am sure he played well in NYI, but his game was much more suited for the Avalanche, and has excelled there.

That example is probably closer to Lindholm, but Lindholm regressed to a good steady D and that first year in Boston is an outlier.

I don't think our playing style of the past (maybe it changes now) is going to lead to Benoit hitting that extra stride the same way that going from the Islanders to the Avalanche can for someone like Toews.

Fowler might fit into our style more than a Benoit would, but Fowler has not been good/great in a while, I don't think it is just where he is playing.

• Haha
Reactions: Pebble live

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Please enlighten us.
You make toral sense to me, good luck trying to get that guy to concede any point…….

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So you think getting scored on, not helping the team score, and not helping the PK is a benefit?

Benoit is someone who tries hard and hits, so people think he is being effective, but we are losing with him.

I like Benoit and it is a small sample size, and he did fairly well in a reduced role during the regular season, but those are the facts, sorry if you can't see them.

You can watch and still not follow what is happening... if you thought Benoit helped us win, then you are an example of that.

I saw Benoit being scored on and not helping us score... that doesn't pass the eye test.
Benoit is the type of player that would benefit from playing on a good team. Limited ice time and play a role.

Lilly’s way younger than Fowler, fits the rebuild better…….
Fowler is old. Why would the Leafs want another guy close to retirement with 6m + cap hit?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Benoit is the type of player that would benefit from playing on a good team. Limited ice time and play a role.

No disagreement there, I think Benoit does well in a sheltered role.

He may grow into a bigger role, he's young-ish, he just didn't do well when given the chance in the playoffs.

Fowler is old. Why would the Leafs want another guy close to retirement with 6m + cap hit?

Fowler was brought up as a D who could fill a void for us.

I think we have question marks internally that may just do that (Lilly/OEL).

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

This was a rumour, the idea is Ducks retain on Fosler, get a younger D man to fit better with their rebuilt and Leafs add a sweetener, some rkse here suggested Jarnkrok…….

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No disagreement there, I think Benoit does well in a sheltered role.

He may grow into a bigger role, he's young-ish, he just didn't do well when given the chance in the playoffs.

Fowler was brought up as a D who could fill a void for us.

I think we have question marks internally that may just do that (Lilly/OEL).
The Leafs need to be thinking beyond this season. They’ll ice team likely make the playoffs, but any move now has to improve the team in 2025 and beyond.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Please enlighten us.
Good luck……lol

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Please enlighten us.
He’d be good on a really good team. If he was on a team like Tampa he’d be very effective.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Benoit played on shutdown pair against hardest defensive situation, starting 80% of time on defensive faceoff. Sure you will not necessairly look great on paper when you're playing in situation to look pretty bad.

but probably a thing too hard to understand i imagine...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Benoit played on shutdown pair against hardest defensive situation, starting 80% of time on defensive faceoff. Sure you will not necessairly look great on paper when you're playing in situation to look pretty bad.

but probably a thing too hard to understand i imagine...

So because he failed in a tough role we should pretend he succeeded?

19% of his starts were in the defensive zone, so every 5th shift he started in the defensive zone, no clue where you are pulling the 80% from.

He did not help out PK.

I've said multiple times I like him, I think he is good in a bottom pairing position and he was good in the regular season.

Maybe he was set up to fail, but he failed in the playoffs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You make toral sense to me, good luck trying to get that guy to concede any point…….

His whole point was that he makes a good 3rd pairing D, and I agree, he is a good #6.

He sucked in the playoffs playing above that.

Not sure what you're going on about.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So because he failed in a tough role we should pretend he succeeded?

19% of his starts were in the defensive zone, so every 5th shift he started in the defensive zone, no clue where you are pulling the 80% from.

He did not help out PK.

I've said multiple times I like him, I think he is good in a bottom pairing position and he was good in the regular season.

Maybe he was set up to fail, but he failed in the playoffs.

You said it... in a bottom pair but last year he had to play as primary guy to defend... After McCabe he was the guy who goes on the ice every time on defensive situation. Leafs asked to a bottom pair dmen to become their #3 and blaming at the end the bottom pairing dman to didn't played like a #3. Don't make sense at all.

What he did in playoff was great because it should not be him who playing in that spot but he was the best d leafs had to do it.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Please enlighten us.
Craig Berube will absolutely adore Simon Benoit.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Our defense is definitely better than its been since we had Brodie and Muzzin together, but it was better back then. I like Tanev a lot right now but the age and term is scary. OEL is fine as a #4-#5. The main issue is can Rielly be a great #1 and can McCabe be a solid 2 or 3. I can help but feel if we were a championship level blueline Rielly would be #2, Tanev 3 and McCabe 4.

I think Lilly and Benoits development is very important to how good this blueline can be.

Sep 18, 2009
Our defense is definitely better than its been since we had Brodie and Muzzin together, but it was better back then. I like Tanev a lot right now but the age and term is scary. OEL is fine as a #4-#5. The main issue is can Rielly be a great #1 and can McCabe be a solid 2 or 3. I can help but feel if we were a championship level blueline Rielly would be #2, Tanev 3 and McCabe 4.

I think Lilly and Benoits development is very important to how good this blueline can be.
lilly is done bro

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If the Leafs ever get the player I'm talking about Lilly Is probably in the deal even if It's just for salary purposes

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
No need for him being in that deal Lilly plus Janrkrok is more than enough to obtain Fowler imo……..
that would be a dumb trade lets see what a 200 pound lily can do before we cast him off for someone whos declining not improving lily is the x factor on the bacc end

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
that would be a dumb trade lets see what a 200 pound lily can do before we cast him off for someone whos declining not improving lily is the x factor on the bacc end

Lilly is not improving either. At absolute BEST he's been stagnant the last 3 years, if he was developing the way he was supposed to they wouldn't spend so much time trying to replace him in the lineup over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad