GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Savard has 24 even strength points (60 GP) last year.

Your kind of proving the other posters point though, Guhle hasn't produced like a #1 D. But it's kind of irrelevant since it usually takes years at the NHL level before #1 Ds produce like #1 D, Hedman's first 50 point season was something like year 5 as an example.

Guhle not producing like a #1 D last year has very little bearing on whether he will be a #1 D in the future. It all comes down to whether he can continue to improve year over year (In terms of overall play moreso then points). If he comes into next year noticebly better then he was last year then I like his chances of eventually being a #1 D.
My point is only that the evaluation of a defenseman’s production needs to take into account whether they had PP time and how much. Not sure what #1D production means in that context since it will depend heavily on the composition of the rest of the team and the offensive vs defensive usage of the player.

For example Jaccob Slavin has 37 points, 0 PP points, 20 mins of icetime. Brent Burns has 43 points, 20 PP points, 21 mins of icetime. I would argue Slavin clearly has 1D production while Burns has been average.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't even looked into Demidov because I didn't want to get my hopes up. I think I'm gonna stick with that lol. Would be cool to get an offensive star though

I wonder how many fans on this site have seen one complete game of Ivan Demidov...

How does the MHL compare to lower NA leagues? Same as NCAA? Junior hockey? USHL?
I've heard somewhere around CHL. Which mathematically and logistically would make sense to me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wonder how many fans on this site have seen one complete game of Ivan Demidov...

How does the MHL compare to lower NA leagues? Same as NCAA? Junior hockey? USHL?
True but then again, the Habs’ co-head of scouting is Russian. If he doesn’t know what’s what, how could we?

As much as people like to watch games on a monitor, it becomes that much harder where the targeted player is purposely demoted to a league that is too weak for him. How are we even supposed to extrapolate from that? In Bobrov we trust, I guess.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
True but then again, the Habs’ co-head of scouting is Russian. If he doesn’t know what’s what, how could we?

As much as people like to watch games and extrapolate, it becomes that much harder where the targeted player is purposely demoted to a league that is too weak for him. How are we even supposed to extrapolate from that? In Bobrov we trust, I guess.
I guess 😅

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Draft day comes

Celebrini
Levshunov
Lindstrom
Dickinson

@WeThreeKings holds his breath in anticipation...

Le Club de Hockey Canadien et fier de sélectionner, the Montréal Canadiens are proud to select...

From the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL, Tij Iginla

You have to worry less about me and more about the guys who already stared down the edge of a bridge after passing on Michkov.. hell we still have the unoriginal jokes about it to this day, one made its way onto this very page of this thread.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
You have to worry less about me and more about the guys who already stared down the edge of a bridge after passing on Michkov.. hell we still have the unoriginal jokes about it to this day, one made its way onto this very page of this thread.

I swear if we pass on Demidov at 5, my head might explode. :help:

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

You sure you wouldn't mind us drafting Iginla? Not even a little bit, for old time's sake?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I think I tried to watch a game but the one fixed camera footage sucked so much I tuned out.

Reactions: Tyson

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

last time i saw full games of Demidov was about 2 years ago :laugh:, i've seen a lot of full shift footages and stuff but ya it's not really the same thing, it's definitely way harder to get a complete feel for him

i doubt many NHL teams are gonna have dedicated year-round MHL scouts so it's probably a big reason why he might end up falling, there's just not enough certainty (especially for the off ice info)

that said the further down you go and the further you fall in player quality tiers, the risk-reward becomes way more juicier

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
My point is only that the evaluation of a defenseman’s production needs to take into account whether they had PP time and how much. Not sure what #1D production means in that context since it will depend heavily on the composition of the rest of the team and the offensive vs defensive usage of the player.

For example Jaccob Slavin has 37 points, 0 PP points, 20 mins of icetime. Brent Burns has 43 points, 20 PP points, 21 mins of icetime. I would argue Slavin clearly has 1D production while Burns has been average.
Sure and if Guhle was ahead of Matheson at ES like Slavin vs Burns then bringing up ES production would be a good argument but that isn't the case. On top of which Guhle is behind Savard who also doesn't get any PP production and also takes on the heavy defensive minutes and is nobody's definition of a #1 shows that the OPs statement that Guhle doesn't have the production of a #1 D is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad