GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I have never heard of an agent paying for these things and definitely not their current team. I have known plenty of kids over the years who went to an NHL combine and they either drove or flew on their own bill. I am in Toronto so it is not a big deal to get to Buffalo so I can't speak for European kids or kids from the west/south so perhaps that is why I have never heard of this happening. Just curious where you heard/read this as if that is the case I think the kids who live a little closer should fight for some compensation as there are still hotel bills. Where would these agencies draw the line as far as distance is concerned?
Two posters on Reddit answering that exact question a year go.

One was more speculation, since his answer was based on how it works in the NFL where the agents pay for everything from Combine to the Draft. But you have Demidov's agent organizing his own mini-Combine for his Russian clients, I doubt he has them pay out of their own pocket for it...

The other one said he used to be on the financial side of hockey for major junior teams and saw financial statements. But I guess that would be limited by the teams involved there.

Saying that, any kids in the NCAA or who wants to go to the NCAA would have to pay out of their own pocket, because of the NCAA rules on "compensatory money" or whatever it is called.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Two posters on Reddit answering that exact question a year go.

One was more speculation, since his answer was based on how it works in the NFL where the agents pay for everything from Combine to the Draft. But you have Demidov's agent organizing his own mini-Combine for his Russian clients, I doubt he has them pay out of their own pocket for it...

The other one said he used to be on the financial side of hockey for major junior teams and saw financial statements. But I guess that would be limited by the teams involved there.

Saying that, any kids in the NCAA or who wants to go to the NCAA would have to pay out of their own pocket, because of the NCAA rules on "compensatory money" or whatever it is called.

I wouldn't believe anything that I read on Reddit on this topic.

I obviously only have a handful of examples from Ontario so I would be obtuse to declare that it absolutely is not happening in the WHL. Maybe it is something that they offer as an incentive for players to excel. It would make the most sense for the NHL to subsidize the combine expenses as they are inviting the kids but from my experience the costs were solely absorbed by the parents. Two of them went top ten in the draft and they never mentioned anything about the team or agents paying for anything although both came from very wealthy families.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
It could be ideal to find a way to both trade down and trade up
1717444772570.gif

We might overthink this and end up trading our way into the NBA draft.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Dickinson was already a better player then Mailloux last year

Agency
Wow did you see the wheels on Dickinson just before the Knights 2nd goal? End to end in lighting fashion.

I’ve been saying for awhile we should be all in on the 2nd Sharks pick @14…..if one of Levshunov or Dickinson is available @5.

Reactions: Be a Hab

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is there a schedule anywhere for the different events/sessions for the combine?

There isn't really a detailed schedule ever released. Players started arriving yesterday, but not all. They'll continue arriving over the next few days.

From June 3-7, players go through interviews with teams. Each team gets it's own conference room that they set up, and create their own interview schedule. Interviews aren't supposed to go past 20 minutes.

Some teams will also take potential picks out for dinner to get to know them in a more social occasion.

Wednesday, June 5, the players will go through medical testing. They can't participate in the physical part of the combine without passing the medical tests.

The physical tests are on the final day, Saturday, June 8th. Players will be tested on: standing height/wingspan, standing horizontal jump, force plate vertical jumps, bench press, pro agility test, pull-ups and cycle ergometer test.

Results get released by NHL afterwards.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I am not saying they shouldn't do it....just that they suck at it and somehow we have all sorts of posters on this board that think that these opinions mean anything more than sports based water cooler talk in the work place.

And yes, they are much worse than the pro's and pretending that criticism is unfair when they put it out there for the public to view is absurd....that is how the world works and that is a good thing.
We don’t have the the pro list but we can see the results it isn’t 50% and it isn’t stable from year to year, pretending that they are much better considering the information and resource they would have vs. a guy watching clip on YouTube… we had grant on here and it is great to predict who the Habs pick but that doesn’t make you a good evaluator if they are all bust… I didn’t say that criticism is unfair but I’m not going to do it, I might push back and if they suck and have bad take I’m just not going to listen or take it with a big grain of salt. I agree that people just repeating opinions that might be questionable at best is the issue because you get a bunch of people repeating the same Bad take and at some point you question if you are the one that is wrong …plenty of people here that had Domi over Danault, didn’t have Slaf 1st, wanted to buy out Armia, didn’t want to pick Tkachuk and you have also have plenty of guy that would have not pick Mesar, would not have gave Gallagher that contract… everyone was very wrong or right at some point but no one is always wrong or always right so I’m not going to criticize.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Basu - Godin. I figured since all draft talk is going here anyways...

They're heading to the combine this morning, so we should hear some more news.

They talked about how the Habs interview 70-75, Basu said it could be as high as 100.

Dan Milstein is having a camp for hos clients who can't make it. Demidov won't partake in the drills, but there's a little controversy around him. Basu mentions on the khl website he's listed at 5'9, while listed as 5'11 another place and Basu has been told he's north of 6'. 6.05 - 6'1 potentially, so this combine will answer that question.

Lindstrom is giving every team a medical report about his back/injury.

This podcast is long and there's a fair amount of interesting tidbits so far.

They mention how last year the draft started at 5, with Montreal and this year it starts with Chicago

Talks about how you talk to people and hear some rumblings and you can determine who teams will take, but this year there's too many factors that it's unlikely to know.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
This is the first time I really wish we had two top10 picks because there seems to be incredible value all the way to 12 or even 15.

Any teams drafting after us want a Matheson in exchange for a pick 6-14?

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where is Hutson;s brother ranked??

Last I heard it was end of the 1st round ish. Wasn't Lane ranked around that area and slipped? I don't think it happens this time around because teams are looking at Lane and wondering, man, we passed on him and he looks good for a small guy.

Won't be surprised if he goes late 1st round or early to mid 2nd.

Reactions: BLONG7 and jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is the first time I really wish we had two top10 picks because there seems to be incredible value all the way to 12 or even 15.

Any teams drafting after us want a Matheson in exchange for a pick 6-14?

Of those top 14, there are only going to be 4-6 hits. 3-5 hits from 13 players if you take Celebrini away because we can't draft him.

I was looking at the 2018 draft last night which was fairly deep in the top 13 or top 14 as well. There are 4-6 hits. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. Islanders had the 11 and 12 picks and missed with Wahlstrom but hit with Dobson.

I would want an extra pick as well but the thing I ponder is how many hits will there be in this draft. Another 4-6? or more? If there are more, that is an anomaly.

Sennecke not available for testing really dampens me taking him. Too many good players available to take risk like that

No way we can reach to take Sennecke 5th. It would be a KK type reach. Only way we can draft Sennecke is to get another pick from 10-14 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad