GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Late Riser is simply not synonymous with being a Reach. If a player gets picked close to where they are predicted to go by the most accurate list out there then the team making that pick isn't reaching for the player. It's a false narrative to say Kotkaniemi was a reach, he wasn't. If you had a better personal draft ranking then good for you, but it's irrelevant to whether he was a reach or not.

It's not just a later riser being a reach though. I talked about this and the other parts of their overall resume.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe they put too much weight on the position that he played but ultimately, it was just bad evaluation.

If they have Sennecke 5th on their list, why would it be a reach?
Because they don't agree with your evaluation?

No, because nobody has Sennecke in the top 5. Not on any credible list. I do think Sennecke is a top 6F though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not a decisive statement though. It's going on probability. I remember watching a video right after we hired Gorton. He was talking to his Rangers scouts and said... "Come on guys, They won't all turn into what the ceilings projection says. It can't be. There is not that much talent that comes from each draft, you need to tell me who the can't miss guys are"

Will there be 4-6 or 6+ hits in this draft? When I talk hits, I'm talking about legit top pairing or top line forward talents. I'm sure there are plenty of top 6F and top 4D in this top 13 though.

My money would be put on 4-6 real hits. Top paring or top line forward talent. I see an equal chance of the guys on D turning into top pairing as it is with the forwards.

My BPA's at 5 are one of Dickinson, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom. I think Dickinson gets taken before us but not sure with Demidov. Call me crazy but I'm seriously considering Iggy over Demidov (if he slips).

So you mean homeruns.

There is absolutely value in us moving in the top 14 if the price is right.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you mean homeruns.

There is absolutely value in us moving in the top 14 if the price is right.

Yes, I see a lot of top 6F and top 4D quality but when it comes to the homeruns (top pairing or top line F), there won't be 6+ guys. Anything is possible but I'm going with probability.

I'm shooting for the player who has stable top 4D value or stable top 6F value but with a real shot at being the home run. Slaf was a pick like this. Those guys in this draft for me are Dickinson, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom with Buium neck/neck with Lindstrom as the 5th wheel to that waive. With the others, I see less chance of a home run but hey, I'm not a scout and it's my guesses.

Not sure who is going to bust/disappoint but I do see lots of top 6F and top 4D quality. As pretender scouts, we need to try to find the one who is a home run. I'm not afraid one bit to draft a forward at 5.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
No, because nobody has Sennecke in the top 5. Not on any credible list. I do think Sennecke is a top 6F though.
You mean the credible lists with 4-6 hits in the top 13 on them?

So the reach is relative to the consensus lists after all. You're a bit difficult to follow.

BTW, Mackenzie had one team with Sennecke at 5 on his census, but that's beside the point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You mean the credible lists with 4-6 hits in the top 13 on them?

So the reach is relative to the consensus lists after all. You're a bit difficult to follow.

BTW, Mackenzie had one team with Sennecke at 5 on his census, but that's beside the point.

Yes, credible lists. The 4-6 hits (home run hits) in the top 13 is another conversation you are trying to connect. Sorry but Sennecke would be a reach for me taking him 5th. I don't have him on my potential home run list. I do have him on the top 6F list though. Hence why most have him ranked 10+

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's interesting is that Reinbacher was ranked as low as 22OA on some lists at the eve of the 2023 Entry Draft. While he may be a very good pick, it's much more reasonable to call him a reach than to call Kotkaniemi a reach. God I hope we don't talk about Reinbacher like we talk about Kotkaniemi though.

Both Reinbacher and KK were movers as the season moved along. I don't recall too many having Reinbacher 22nd and if they did, I would question if they are credible. I believe Bob had him 8th pre draft.

The reach narrative is more deeper than the late riser conversation. With Reinbacher, do you see any skating issues like KK had? Do you see Reinbacher falling on his ass? Do you see talks about him needing to get physically stronger like it was with KK?

Reinbacher was not my pick (I wanted Michkov) but I understand why they picked him. Big mobile RD who works hard and has great skating. I don't see top paring quality but I see a solid top 4RD which is rare to acquire.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Interesting piece about the work done by 11 scouts (amateur and European) for one NHL team, likely most heading to the combine.

The bad news, they’re Sens scouts. The good news, maybe try and poach one.

On the average they watch 200-300 games (in person viewings) a year and will log in a ton of miles, some even more depending on regions.

View attachment 879425

Amateurs indeed.

People here watch all the Habs games, rocket and then a shit ton of games in all 3 CHL leagues, NCAA, BCHL, USHL, MHL/KHL, SEL, FEL,extraliga and a bunch of other leagues. They're not lying, I swear !

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Come on boys, get with the program, this is the combine thread, I wanna hear about manly man, muscles and beef . How big are they and how many reps can they do. Proteins and testosterone only ! Take the weak stuff someplace else:fight::fight:

predator-arnold.gif

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I really don't understand the logic behind not inviting guys whose biggest question marks are physicality (Swanson, Poirier) to the combine where they can SHOW where they're at physically.

No matter how many Gaudreaus or Stankovens we get it seems like the league never learns.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I really don't understand the logic behind not inviting guys whose biggest question marks are physicality (Swanson, Poirier) to the combine where they can SHOW where they're at physically.

No matter how many Gaudreaus or Stankovens we get it seems like the league never learns.
The invites are based on the NHL central scouting lists. They only invite about ~100 players starting from their 4 lists (NA skaters/EU skaters/NA goalies/EU goalies).

On the NA list, Alexis Bernier was the last one to make it from what I could see and he's #62 on the NA list. Poirier is 82, Swanson 152 on the NA list.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The invites are based on the NHL central scouting lists. They only invite about ~100 players starting from their 4 lists (NA skaters/EU skaters/NA goalies/EU goalies).

On the NA list, Alexis Bernier was the last one to make it from what I could see and he's #62 on the NA list. Poirier is 82, Swanson 152 on the NA list.

NHL teams can specifically request attendees, as well.

Looks like no NHL teams liked those guys enough to worry about it. We should be able to get Poirier with a late 3rd or a 4th round pick.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

Their lists are horrendous. Poirier is a first round talent, I'm not sure I'd even draft a guy like Woolley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad