GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Of those top 14, there are only going to be 4-6 hits. 3-5 hits from 13 players if you take Celebrini away because we can't draft him.

I was looking at the 2018 draft last night which was fairly deep in the top 13 or top 14 as well. There are 4-6 hits. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. Islanders had the 11 and 12 picks and missed with Wahlstrom but hit with Dobson.

I would want an extra pick as well but the thing I ponder is how many hits will there be in this draft. Another 4-6? or more? If there are more, that is an anomaly.
By the time it is revealed which players were hits and which were misses, Matheson will be irrelevant to the NHL. I'd rather get two shots at picking up one of the relevant hits than one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting piece about the work done by 11 scouts (amateur and European) for one NHL team, likely most heading to the combine.

The bad news, they’re Sens scouts. The good news, maybe try and poach one.

On the average they watch 200-300 games (in person viewings) a year and will log in a ton of miles, some even more depending on regions.

1717510439033.jpeg

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Sennecke not available for testing really dampens me taking him. Too many good players available to take risk like that
What does him getting injured in the semi final of the playoffs has to do with not being taken by the habs?

Lindstrom missed half a year because of injury and Demidov got 2 knee injuries this season and won’t be able to test in his version of the combine in a week.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Of those top 14, there are only going to be 4-6 hits. 3-5 hits from 13 players if you take Celebrini away because we can't draft him.

I was looking at the 2018 draft last night which was fairly deep in the top 13 or top 14 as well. There are 4-6 hits. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. Islanders had the 11 and 12 picks and missed with Wahlstrom but hit with Dobson.

I would want an extra pick as well but the thing I ponder is how many hits will there be in this draft. Another 4-6? or more? If there are more, that is an anomaly.

No way we can reach to take Sennecke 5th. It would be a KK type reach. Only way we can draft Sennecke is to get another pick from 10-14 range.

And then you go to 2016 and there's 8 hits in the top14. 9 in 2017. 11 in 2015.

You can't decisively say only 4-6 of the top14 will hit.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No way we can reach to take Sennecke 5th. It would be a KK type reach. Only way we can draft Sennecke is to get another pick from 10-14 range.
Kotkaniemi was ranked 5th in McKenzie's final ranking, he wasn't really a draft reach

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And then you go to 2016 and there's 8 hits in the top14. 9 in 2017. 11 in 2015.

You can't decisively say only 4-6 of the top14 will hit.

Not a decisive statement though. It's going on probability. I remember watching a video right after we hired Gorton. He was talking to his Rangers scouts and said... "Come on guys, They won't all turn into what the ceilings projection says. It can't be. There is not that much talent that comes from each draft, you need to tell me who the can't miss guys are"

Will there be 4-6 or 6+ hits in this draft? When I talk hits, I'm talking about legit top pairing or top line forward talents. I'm sure there are plenty of top 6F and top 4D in this top 13 though.

My money would be put on 4-6 real hits. Top paring or top line forward talent. I see an equal chance of the guys on D turning into top pairing as it is with the forwards.

My BPA's at 5 are one of Dickinson, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom. I think Dickinson gets taken before us but not sure with Demidov. Call me crazy but I'm seriously considering Iggy over Demidov (if he slips).

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi was ranked 5th in McKenzie's final ranking, he wasn't really a draft reach

I remember it well. For me it was a reach because he was a late riser and it was primarily based on his U18's. His Liiga numbers were meh and he was playing a bottom 6 role. Skating was not great at all and a lot of talk about him filling into his frame. "long term prospect narrative"

I'm all for looking at the late risers but they need an impressive resume in not just one area. KK was a reach for me and many others thought that as well. I learned a lot from that draft year because I was very high on Tkachuk and others influenced me into KK being a good pick. I thought it was a good pick but no, just no. At 3, you need to shoot for someone with less flaws on the resume.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

There's no such thing as a reach. There's just good and bad picks.

You said it yourself, some of the top picks will be bad picks, and yet they are rated high on consensus rankings. So those rankings are flawed.
Thus picking outside of the consensus is not necessarily a bad thing.

KK was just a bad pick.
They could've picked Zadina and it would've been a bad pick even if he was rated high.
They could've picked Dobson and it would've been a good pick even if some would have said at the time that he was a reach.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's no such thing as a reach. There's just good and bad picks.

You said it yourself, some of the top picks will be bad picks, and yet they are rated high on consensus rankings. So those rankings are flawed.
Thus picking outside of the consensus is not necessarily a bad thing.

KK was just a bad pick.
They could've picked Zadina and it would've been a bad pick even if he was rated high.
They could've picked Dobson and it would've been a good pick even if some would have said at the time that he was a reach.

You can reach in the BPA narrative but then the BPA can be different from each teams board. We reached because KK's resume was solely based on his U18's where his Liiga numbers were not that impressive at all. There are flaws with taking KK because his resume had holes. For this reason, it was a reach IMO. Thinking he will improve skating and fill into his frame and become a monster center like Barkov or Kopitar. That's a reach for me.

Good picks can disappoint you yes but we got to take the guy with the most impressive resume. If the guy disappoints but his resume was very good, not much you can do about that. It's difficult to project the players hunger to improve from age 17/18+

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's one list.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Not a decisive statement though. It's going on probability. I remember watching a video right after we hired Gorton. He was talking to his Rangers scouts and said... "Come on guys, They won't all turn into what the ceilings projection says. It can't be. There is not that much talent that comes from each draft, you need to tell me who the can't miss guys are"

Will there be 4-6 or 6+ hits in this draft? When I talk hits, I'm talking about legit top pairing or top line forward talents. I'm sure there are plenty of top 6F and top 4D in this top 13 though.

My money would be put on 4-6 real hits. Top paring or top line forward talent. I see an equal chance of the guys on D turning into top pairing as it is with the forwards.

My BPA's at 5 are one of Dickinson, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom. I think Dickinson gets taken before us but not sure with Demidov. Call me crazy but I'm seriously considering Iggy over Demidov (if he slips).
And in return his scouts gave him Andersson, Kravtsov and Kakko

• Haha
Reactions: jrom

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And in return his scouts gave him Andersson, Kravtsov and Kakko

That video was in the 2020 draft. They traded up to get Schneider. Do I think Gorton is great at scouting? NO. I do think he has good team building skills though and he has to trust his scouts.

Anderson and Kravtsov were top 10 misses. Kakko was a BPA pick. Can't blame them for that.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
You can reach in the BPA narrative but then the BPA can be different from each teams board. We reached because KK's resume was solely based on his U18's where his Liiga numbers were not that impressive at all. There are flaws with taking KK because his resume had holes. For this reason, it was a reach IMO. Thinking he will improve skating and fill into his frame and become a monster center like Barkov or Kopitar. That's a reach for me.

Good picks can disappoint you yes but we got to take the guy with the most impressive resume. If the guy disappoints but his resume was very good, not much you can do about that. It's difficult to project the players hunger to improve from age 17/18+
Maybe they put too much weight on the position that he played but ultimately, it was just bad evaluation.

If they have Sennecke 5th on their list, why would it be a reach?
Because they don't agree with your evaluation?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
That video was in the 2020 draft. They traded up to get Schneider. Do I think Gorton is great at scouting? NO. I do think he has good team building skills though and he has to trust his scouts.

Anderson and Kravtsov were top 10 misses. Kakko was a BPA pick. Can't blame them for that.
Molson didn't hire him to be a scout, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad