GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I started (back) 2 years ago after Covid doing pushups and situps daily.. started at 5ea and added 1 each day until 50-50/day and havent stopped since.. now it's easy and takes no time at all like 15min (no breaks).. incredible the difference in the gut and biceps/pecs, and so easy.... you just gotta start, go slow, and in no time youll be enjoying it..

And im an old guy, turning 50 soon.
50! You're barely out of diapers.

Reactions: themilosh

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
After Celebrini many experts believe that the next 12-14 picks are interchangeable. In other words someone like Sennecke could be picked at #5.
A good reason to try to turn that Winnipeg first round pick into a top 15 pick. We have the assets to make that happen. Now do we have the will?

I can also see the possibility of a trade down from 5OA. There are a host of potential top pairing defencemen available this year that many teams will be eyeing enviously.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A good reason to try to turn that Winnipeg first round pick into a top 15 pick. We have the assets to make that happen. Now do we have the will?

I can also see the possibility of a trade down from 5OA. There are a host of potential top pairing defencemen available this year that many teams will be eyeing enviously.

I'd be very happy if we were to walk out of this draft with Iggy and one of Eiserman, Catton, Sennecke.

The part that is difficult to figure out, is Hughes can have pre agreed trades (moving up with the Jets 1st++) but we would need circumstance to work out. Usually, teams don't trade down unless their draft board targets are gone so we would need a team looking for a D or a C and there are none when they pick. In that situation, we might be able to pull off that trade up.

I think Gorton/Hughes have the guts/will... what they need is the right circumstance to play out.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
There is a private combine type thing for Demidov and other Russians I believe being set up by his agent. Not sure measurements will be shared.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
There is a private combine type thing for Demidov and other Russians I believe being set up by his agent. Not sure measurements will be shared.
Yah there is a private thingy setup by some sales person who wants you to buy what he offers... :laugh:

No issues at all.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Yah there is a private thingy setup by some sales person who wants you to buy what he offers... :laugh:

No issues at all.
8smqu9.jpg

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I've got a question. Who foots the bill for the plane ride, accommodations, and other expenses? Because if it's the kid's family, then it is more proof that hockey is for the rich.

I feel my son is pretty privileged. We can afford some private coaching, time at the rink, etc. But, what some of the other kids have are a whole other ball game. One of them has weekly private sessions and his dad built a synthetic rink in his house. Obviously, his game is growing at a pace other kids can't follow. It's not an even playing field anymore.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'd be very happy if we were to walk out of this draft with Iggy and one of Eiserman, Catton, Sennecke.

The part that is difficult to figure out, is Hughes can have pre agreed trades (moving up with the Jets 1st++) but we would need circumstance to work out. Usually, teams don't trade down unless their draft board targets are gone so we would need a team looking for a D or a C and there are none when they pick. In that situation, we might be able to pull off that trade up.

I think Gorton/Hughes have the guts/will... what they need is the right circumstance to play out.

I am not ruling out the idea of trading up from the WPG pick but I suspect that Hughes will have already traded that pick along with one of our LHD prospects for a young forward. There will be plenty of good prospects available at 26 and I am not sure what the asking price would be to move up into the mid teens but I suspect it might be too much relative to the actual talent disparity between 15ish-26. I think Hughes is more inclined to move high end assets to improve his team now than he is to move up 11 spots in order to draft another prospect.

I am not against the idea of trading up from the WPG pick if cost and opportunity allign, I just think it is unlikely to happen.

Reactions: dinodebino

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Elite hockey is a rich kid sport, but apparently these are usually paid by the kid's current team or their agency.

I have never heard of an agent paying for these things and definitely not their current team. I have known plenty of kids over the years who went to an NHL combine and they either drove or flew on their own bill. I am in Toronto so it is not a big deal to get to Buffalo so I can't speak for European kids or kids from the west/south so perhaps that is why I have never heard of this happening. Just curious where you heard/read this as if that is the case I think the kids who live a little closer should fight for some compensation as there are still hotel bills. Where would these agencies draw the line as far as distance is concerned?

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I am not ruling out the idea of trading up from the WPG pick but I suspect that Hughes will have already traded that pick along with one of our LHD prospects for a young forward.
It could be ideal to find a way to both trade down and trade up so that the costs are mitigated and we can grab 2 top 6 forwards at their appropriate draft rank.

Getting 2 of Lindstrom, Iginla, Sennecke, Catton, Helenius around the 9-12 range seems better than picking our favorite of the remaining ones at 5 and a lower tier prospect at 26.

Perhaps Habs feel there are undervalued prospects in the bottom of round 1 or they don't mind picking a defenseman if the value disparity is too large.

It doesn't seem farfetched at all that 5 years from now, many or all of the top defensemen will hold more value than any of the forwards in the top 15 except Celebrini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad