GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
24 minutes to Parekh, a guy who can't play defense for his life??

Come on now! You put a gun to Parekh's head and tell him to play good D or we shoot his reply would be Just pull the trigger and save both of us time and energy!

Unfortunately tje 2 best defensemen in this draft are lefties: Buium and Dickinson.

If the Habs draft one of the 2, then it's because they have a possible trade in place involving Guhle.

Otherwise, Lindstrom. Iginla or Sennecke, come on down, you're the next prospect of tje Montreal Canadiens!
I don’t see what would be so bad about having say, Dickinson, Guhle, and Reinbacher. The habs will need at least 3 really good D to be competitive.

The forward group has many more open spots, and filling those might make the team competitive faster, but long term they need one or two guys to play with Dach, and most of a third line that could be Beck and, maybe one of the other prospects. Signing a second line winger and a third liner or two is much easier than getting a top D.

I’m not eager to see the team make a quick fix or two at forward and be a bubble team for years. I’d rather wait and end up in contention later. I don’t want a Buffalo situation, at some point they’ll need to win games, but I’d take a difference maker at a position of strength over a pretty good player at a position of need.

Last edited:

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Im happy that there’s talks that Habs would consider defense as well. This would mean that we’re trying to go BPA to the best of the teams abilities and not just BFA and miss out on some of the nice defenseman. One of Lindstrom, Demidov, Dickinson or Buium and I’m happy. Iginla and Sennecke are intriguing too! Can’t wait to see who we come out with. This should be an interesting draft to look back at too in a few years and see where all these players end up in a redraft.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The Basu comment on Buium and Parekh in that second tier, is that assuming Levshunov, Silayev and Dickinson are gone ? It's good to know their alleged preferences are all very skilled.

CBJ fans seem to think forward for them.. I hope the Silayev rumor is true there. But Anaheim fans think defense.

Really need Chicago to go Lev or we might have the worst case scenario

I think it's going to be fine regardless. Even if CB and Chicago go forward, theres likely a high end player left, it's a strong top 10. That said, I'm willing to bet one of Demidov or Lindstrom is going to be available. Teams don't value high skill Russian forwards like fans do. High end defensemen, centers and big forwards though are always coveted. Last time a high skilled Russian forward was picked high, he was a physical beast and was playing in the OHL.

You have to go back to 2004 for the last time a Russian playing in Russia was picked top 4. And both of them were 6'2"+, and in the RSL, not RSL-3. Closest after was Filatov at 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Here's the biggest takeaways from the draft article.. it's gonna make some people happy and other people not so happy.

• Deems it UNLIKELY both Lindstrom and Demidov are there.
  • Deems it JUST AS UNLIKELY that NEITHER of them are there.
  • In the event BOTH are there - they would lean LINDSTROM.
  • In the event neither are there they'd look at Buium and Parekh.
Which article is this?
Basu knows absolutely nothing and I find it hard to believe that he even said this.......I suspect this is a paraphrase that missed the mark. That being said Basu does not understand the game or players/prospects at anything more than the level of a casual fan so his opinion on hockey players should mean very little to anybody. I think he does a good job with his articles for the most part....until he attempts to be an analyst, then it gets ugly.
He called Reinbacher and the Newhook deal last year, so he's got some connections at least.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Guhle is solid but he does not produce nearly enough to be a #1D
Like so many other D when they were 21-22 years old. Check out Matheson's stats at the same age. Hell, check out Josi's.

Guhle will be playing top pairing minutes because he's exactly who you want against opponents top lines.

I can't get over the lack of patience on this board regarding our young D.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He called Reinbacher and the Newhook deal last year, so he's got some connections at least.
The problem with Basu is he never actually calls anything, because he has no scoops... he alludes, suggets, ponders-out-loud, muses... he hedges everything he reports and his actual hockey analysis is laughably shallow. Empty calories.

Reactions: mdk

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Like so many other D when they were 21-22 years old. Check out Matheson's stats at the same age. Hell, check out Josi's.

Guhle will be playing top pairing minutes because he's exactly who you want against opponents top lines.

I can't get over the lack of patience on this board regarding our young D.
Matheson isn't a 1D though. Roman Josi is an incredible player today but he did hit 40pts in his 3rd NHL season (in a lower scoring era)... do you expect 40-45pts from Guhle this year?

I'm not impatient with Guhle at all but just like with Caufield, I'm less sure of his future as a 1D/1RW than I was at this point last summer. That's it, really -- maybe he'll blow up this year, maybe he won't. There's no harm in wondering what his value might be as a trade piece.

Reactions: Kents polished head

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The problem with Basu is he never actually calls anything, because he has no scoops... he alludes, suggets, ponders-out-loud, muses... he hedges everything he reports and his actual hockey analysis is laughably shallow. Empty calories.
I think he's just afraid of dealing in absolutes.

If you say something is going to happen and it doesn't you have egg on your face.

He's basically taking the Dreger approach where he says 10,000 words to basically say "I've been told this, but don't want to commit, so it's a maybe."

Jul 6, 2016
I don’t mind if Habs pick a forward or a d-man with their #5 OA pick. Take the best athlete available. But for their Winnipeg’s pick, I would like one of these: Sacha Boisvert OR Cole Beaudoin OR Dean Letourneau. But they seems to like Basha a lot.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I think he's just afraid of dealing in absolutes.

If you say something is going to happen and it doesn't you have egg on your face.

He's basically taking the Dreger approach where he says 10,000 words to basically say "I've been told this, but don't want to commit, so it's a maybe."
It’s the best way they could go about it. It’s never certain even if he hears something.

He said it himself for his last article, it’s all things he is hearing and he’s probably sure of it, but this draft is very hard to know what the habs will do 100% because it depends a lot on what other teams will do so there is multiple scenarios depending on what chicago, ducks and columbus do.

Something for sure is that they are very, very high on Lindstrom.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Matheson isn't a 1D though. Roman Josi is an incredible player today but he did hit 40pts in his 3rd NHL season (in a lower scoring era)... do you expect 40-45pts from Guhle this year?

I'm not impatient with Guhle at all but just like with Caufield, I'm less sure of his future as a 1D/1RW than I was at this point last summer. That's it, really -- maybe he'll blow up this year, maybe he won't. There's no harm in wondering what his value might be as a trade piece.
Matheson is a 1D on the Habs...62 points, played vs top lines and led the team in Time On Ice by a country mile.

Josi was 23 years old when he began his 3rd full season. Guhle will be 22.

Having said all this, points aren't the only thing to define 1D. Forsling is Florida's best D but he never leads their D in points and doesn't get much PP time. He still puts up 40'ish points per season though. I can easily see Guhle in that range but with more physical play.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Matheson is a 1D on the Habs...62 points, played vs top lines and led the team in Time On Ice by a country mile.
We're talking about 1Ds on actually worthwhile teams, no? What's the point of bragging about a "1D" on a hopeless, tanking team who is clearly not a 1D anywhere else?
Josi was 23 years old when he began his 3rd full season. Guhle will be 22.
Come on man, are you arguing just to argue? Guhle is going to turn 23 in his 3rd full season in January. 6months difference, who cares. Josi had to come over from Europe.
Having said all this, points aren't the only thing to define 1D. Forsling is Florida's best D but he never leads their D in points and doesn't get much PP time. He still puts up 40'ish points per season though. I can easily see Guhle in that range but with more physical play.
It's rare to see a 1D get less than 0.5ppg. Maybe Guhle can double his production (it's certainly possible) but it's also a strange thing to expect to happen. There's no shame if he becomes a 30pt defender either.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Who told you I was eating a JOS LOUIS?

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The most interesting part of Basu's article is the information on Demidov. No team wants to get entangled in unknowns involving Russia. He will be there at 5 and probably there at 7.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Really happy to see that they won’t reach for a forward and take the best player available
It’s hard to argue that they are taking the BPA in this scenario. If both forwards are gone, it means one of Dickinson or Levshunov will be available at 5. Both are better options than Buium or Parekh honestly.

Just sounds to me that they want the most offensively gifted player available rather than best.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
We're talking about 1Ds on actually worthwhile teams, no? What's the point of bragging about a "1D" on a hopeless, tanking team who is clearly not a 1D anywhere else?

Come on man, are you arguing just to argue? Guhle is going to turn 23 in his 3rd full season in January. 6months difference, who cares. Josi had to come over from Europe.

It's rare to see a 1D get less than 0.5ppg. Maybe Guhle can double his production (it's certainly possible) but it's also a strange thing to expect to happen. There's no shame if he becomes a 30pt defender either.
Well...I mean Josi almost had 100 points two years ago so if we're going by their 3rd season, some more improvement from Guhle and he'll be well on his way to perhaps becoming a 40-50 point dman in his best seasons who plays against other teams top lines. He's still a kid and has a lot of runway left yet before he hits his prime.

Hutson or Mailloux could get more points than Guhle or Reinbacher but it won't mean they're the better of those four dmen.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It’s hard to argue that they are taking the BPA in this scenario. If both forwards are gone, it means one of Dickinson or Levshunov will be available at 5. Both are better options than Buium or Parekh honestly.

Just sounds to me that they want the most offensively gifted player available rather than best.
Still hope they go with Dickinson in that scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad