GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
So if Demidov is gone what do you think the order would be between Lindstrom, sennecke and iginla based on what we heard over the week? I hope Basu and Godin answer the question in this Monday’s podcast
I was pretty sure it would be Lindstrom, Sennecke and then iggy but now I have no idea. Honestly I'm really hoping for Demidov or Lindstrom after that Sennecke or Iginla are great choices but really hoping to get that Uber talented winger or that mean bulldozing center/winger

Reactions: themilosh

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
100% Sniper

The discipline, precision, patience and execution that’s involved….just thinking about gives me goosebumps.
Downsides: Sitting in a diaper, few chances at comeraderie, most of your peers hate you for never putting yourself in harm's way... I suppose the implied nature of picking Sniper is self-reliance and discipline.

Pilots train a lot, have to listen to instructions (coaching), work in a crew, trust the work of others, etc. I feel with pilots it is "I do my job, you do yours". Medics are more obvious: brave, self-sacrifice, immediate impact, etc.

It's an interesting question. My first instinct would be to prefer drafting a Pilot.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Downsides: Sitting in a diaper, few chances at comeraderie, most of your peers hate you for never putting yourself in harm's way... I suppose the implied nature of picking Sniper is self-reliance and discipline.

Pilots train a lot, have to listen to instructions (coaching), work in a crew, trust the work of others, etc. I feel with pilots it is "I do my job, you do yours". Medics are more obvious: brave, self-sacrifice, immediate impact, etc.

It's an interesting question. My first instinct would be to prefer drafting a Pilot.
Well, I Fly B767 for a living so I know all about that lol

As a sniper, you normally have a spotter so there is teamwork involved.

Your peers love you as you are the angel looking upon them taking out potential ambushes as they advance in enemy territory.

Plus, if you’re a Sniper, you’ve done BUD/S training and are a SEAL….everyone knows they can count on you, pilots don’t do BUD/S

I think they’d all be great answers, as medics are there for everyone saving lives, probably the hardest job mentally

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Well, I Fly B767 for a living so I know all about that lol

As a sniper, you normally have a spotter so there is teamwork involved.

Your peers love you as you are the angel looking upon them taking out potential ambushes as they advance in enemy territory.

Plus, if you’re a Sniper, you’ve done BUD/S training and are a SEAL….everyone knows they can count on you, pilots don’t do BUD/S

I think they’d all be great answers, as medics are there for everyone saving lives, probably the hardest job mentally
Fine. We’ll draft you with our 8th round pick

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I'm not super keen on Demidov like some are.
This not seeing Russians playing against their peers truly sucks.

I'm keen on the player but not keen on the Russian factor.

By Russian factor, I mean the fact that he can always just go to Russia if he isn't feeling it in Montreal, and if he isn't feeling it also includes contracts, ice time, utilization, etc. etc. Things you don't really need to worry about with other players and certainly not NA players specifically.

Drafting a non-Russian would be less headache when you factor that in.

I'm not saying Demidov isn't worth it, I'm just saying if you draft him you better be damn sure.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
So if Demidov is gone what do you think the order would be between Lindstrom, sennecke and iginla based on what we heard over the week? I hope Basu and Godin answer the question in this Monday’s podcast

It's so tough.

Speaking from Montreal's perspective only:

Lindstrom left home at 14 - Habs management love that.
Iginla said he would be a Pegasys if he could be any animals - Habs management have to love that.
Sennecke could be the next Getzlaf who just started a growth spurt.

If I had to guess the order is:

Lindstrom, Iginla, Sennecke.

Lindstrom's skill+size is too tantalizing.
Iginla despite being shorter at 6ft has proven more than Sennecke.
Sennecke is a dark horse who they may project as the best player in 5-7 years from now.

Lindstrom --> Iggy / Dickinson --> Sennecke
my guess

I would be happy with Dickinson.

Hard to imagine a world where he flops.

Easy to imagine a world where he becomes your #1 D.

Last edited:

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
There's more than one way to skin a cat. If you want forwards you don't have to draft them.

Panthers tonight will have a total of 3 players drafted by them in their lineup (Barkov, Lundell and Ekblad).
And Panthers GM is former very successful player agent William Zito… so who does that remind you of?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
100% Sniper

The discipline, precision, patience and execution that’s involved….just thinking about gives me goosebumps.

Sniper would be an answer that they don't want imo as it is the lone wolf who is not in the trenches with his team and who takes more glamour without assuming equal risk. The equivalent of a player who stands around waiting for a one timer without doing the dirty work.

Medic seems like the obvious answer as you are in the trenches with your teammates and your only job is to put the well being of the man next to you above your own. You are helping to save lives as well as supporting the offensive by limiting the severity of the wounds and returning infantry back to the field as well as helping to keep morale up by competently handling situations that an incompetent medic might only exasperate. Being able to leave a conflict having saved lives without taking any seem optimal to me.

Pilot seems too much like a rock star primadonna as I am sure that most kids will immediately identify with a fighter pilot who is easily the most skilled of the three choices.

I would probably stump them right off the mark by asking if they are referring to a Bomber pilot, Fighter pilot or Personnel carrier pilot. All three require different skill-sets and temperament and come with different levels of risk and bravado. Just asking this question would make the kid a winner without even needing to answer the question.

Reactions: Runner77

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The more I think about it the more Dickinson would be pretty good with Matheson getting traded in 1 year or 2 you could have #1D ready to step in…

If Dickinson is there when HuGo hit the stage he will be the BPA imo as I now have him second only to Celebrini. It will be awfully interesting to see what Hughes does as there is no doubt in my mind that they love his game. If he was a RHD I think they run to the podium but alas....he is not and that makes sh*t real complicated.

This is such an interesting draft though....so many good players with different skill-sets and weakness. This year more than previous years the top ten will be swayed by organizational need imo as it is nearly impossible to objectively separate these kids in terms of where exactly they should slot.

I am not necessarily as exuberant with my praise of either Demidov or Lindstrom as many here are but would still be happy to nab them if HuGo feel that is the move after doing their due diligence. I just think this board is going to be a madhouse as I feel very strongly that at least one of them if not both with slip to us. I like Iginla and Helenius a lot but am not necessarily saying that they should be our picks. If they select Helenius though.......it will break this forum lol

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Hugues literally said we were picking a forward , dont even know why we debate on another d-man.

This team has pretty much nothing in the pipeline offensively since they went the popcorn route last draft. What's the point to draft another dman when people barely want to get rid of Savard or Matheson

If we can't make a def from Guhle Hutson Jackeye Mailloux , Reinbacher , Struble and Barron . Then perhaps the problem is somewhere else and not because we don't have enough young dmen in the org.
Because it’s very possible that the D available will be way better than any remaining F and people don’t think Hughes is dumb?

The habs need a second line but they need elite talent at any position more.

The habs need a few older guys the next year or two to pass the torch. They may not need them when this year’s pick is ready.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The more I think about it the more Dickinson would be pretty good with Matheson getting traded in 1 year or 2 you could have #1D ready to step in…
If you pick up Dickinson, I think the right move is to swap Guhle out for a similar age-profile top6 forward (eg. Necas or the like) this off-season, and then swap Matheson out during the season or next off-season to a cup-contender.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Here some actual news about the Draft Combines. Results from the physical testing:

Some great results from Luchanko. I would not be surprised at all if he goes to Detroit at #15.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
If Dickinson is there when HuGo hit the stage he will be the BPA imo as I now have him second only to Celebrini. It will be awfully interesting to see what Hughes does as there is no doubt in my mind that they love his game. If he was a RHD I think they run to the podium but alas....he is not and that makes sh*t real complicated.

This is such an interesting draft though....so many good players with different skill-sets and weakness. This year more than previous years the top ten will be swayed by organizational need imo as it is nearly impossible to objectively separate these kids in terms of where exactly they should slot.

I am not necessarily as exuberant with my praise of either Demidov or Lindstrom as many here are but would still be happy to nab them if HuGo feel that is the move after doing their due diligence. I just think this board is going to be a madhouse as I feel very strongly that at least one of them if not both with slip to us. I like Iginla and Helenius a lot but am not necessarily saying that they should be our picks. If they select Helenius though.......it will break this forum lol
I see things your way I think. The reward/risk ratio is highest with Iginla IMO, which is why he is my pick. I think people focus on his high floor and interpret it as an indication that his ceiling is not as high as Demidov and Lindstrom, but I think this is incorrect. I see a player that has the attitude, the physicality and the skills to be a difference maker.

And yes, this board will explode if Iginla is picked with Demidov and/or Lindstrom being available. It may be worse than the Reinbacher thing, especially if we are not picking Demidov.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Pastrnak was taken the pick before Scherbak. We had zero opportunity to draft him.

Thank you, I have heard this nonsense about taking Scherbak over Pastrnak too many times on this board. This is why it is important to correct these misconceptions early and decisively so that they don't propagate and annoy me for the next two decades lol

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Pastrnak was taken the pick before Scherbak. We had zero opportunity to draft him.

Thank you, I have heard this nonsense about taking Scherbak over Pastrnak too many times on this board. This is why it is important to correct these misconceptions early and decisively so that they don't propagate and annoy me for the next two decades lol

The guy we missed on with this pick is Kempe, but then so did SJ (Goldobin) and NYI (Ho-Sang).

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Getting Jacob Fowler vibes when it comes to personality….you get the feeling that he would easily integrate in a room.

Would obviously be ecstatic with him as our pick!
He has a similar build to Slaf and like Slaf he left home at a young age. I think I read somewhere he left his family at around 14.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Sniper would be an answer that they don't want imo as it is the lone wolf who is not in the trenches with his team and who takes more glamour without assuming equal risk. The equivalent of a player who stands around waiting for a one timer without doing the dirty work.

Medic seems like the obvious answer as you are in the trenches with your teammates and your only job is to put the well being of the man next to you above your own. You are helping to save lives as well as supporting the offensive by limiting the severity of the wounds and returning infantry back to the field as well as helping to keep morale up by competently handling situations that an incompetent medic might only exasperate. Being able to leave a conflict having saved lives without taking any seem optimal to me.

Pilot seems too much like a rock star primadonna as I am sure that most kids will immediately identify with a fighter pilot who is easily the most skilled of the three choices.

I would probably stump them right off the mark by asking if they are referring to a Bomber pilot, Fighter pilot or Personnel carrier pilot. All three require different skill-sets and temperament and come with different levels of risk and bravado. Just asking this question would make the kid a winner without even needing to answer the question.

These questions are more about how you got to your conclusion than what the answer was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad