News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
They’ve been saying that before he had a chance to make a move. I’ve followed the team not just for obvious reasons but I truly like them. There’s been a strong force amongst him from day one. It felt like they took so much heat from the expansion draft they were against him from the get go. RF has group of haters that rival Yzerman, to the point of it doesn’t even really make sense. I feel like most people aggressively voting against him are probably like this.

They made the playoffs once and went far, have three top ten picks and a coffer full of prospects. They have a solid team with a good future, even if it wasn’t RF you’d have to say they’re in a pretty good spot. They are going to have to fight to get good players not unlike the Canes as they’re not a big market either, which is why they’ll have to overpay a bit with free agents.

I listened to Boomer give the report card the other day and assumed he’d be down on them like every one else….nope. He thinks RF has them set up well and things are about as good as they can be.

If they fired him now it would be pretty similar to him being fired then, whoever takes over will have a lot of assets to work with from day one.
1000000048.png

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
They’ve been saying that before he had a chance to make a move. I’ve followed the team not just for obvious reasons but I truly like them. There’s been a strong force amongst him from day one. It felt like they took so much heat from the expansion draft they were against him from the get go. RF has group of haters that rival Yzerman, to the point of it doesn’t even really make sense. I feel like most people aggressively voting against him are probably like this.

They made the playoffs once and went far, have three top ten picks and a coffer full of prospects. They have a solid team with a good future, even if it wasn’t RF you’d have to say they’re in a pretty good spot. They are going to have to fight to get good players not unlike the Canes as they’re not a big market either, which is why they’ll have to overpay a bit with free agents.

I listened to Boomer give the report card the other day and assumed he’d be down on them like every one else….nope. He thinks RF has them set up well and things are about as good as they can be.

If they fired him now it would be pretty similar to him being fired then, whoever takes over will have a lot of assets to work with from day one.
Good points.

FWIW: I think Seattle is a pretty big market though; much larger than Raleigh and has decent summers too (winter is meh though).

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
He's still at that discounted buyout until 26, yeah? So no real need to pull the trigger now, especially given how iffy our forward core looks.
The exact wording is, "if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination ise ffective, an amount equal to 1/3 of", so until 25 (including that age). So the next summer is the last opportunity for a cheaper buyout. edit: no

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Bleedsignal activated. :naughty:
EDIT: Oops, didn't see the prior post from @A Star is Burns doing the same thing. Only mine was green! :neener:
bat_signal__66___may_2021_by_enshohma_dej5ztr-fullview.jpg

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
The exact wording is, "if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination is
effective, an amount equal to 1/3 of", so until 25 (including that age). So the next summer is the last opportunity for a cheaper buyout.
I thought he could still be bought out in summer 2026, but it depends on when the window opens / the cup finals end? His birthday is july 6, so usually the window would have been opened in time but who knows what the schedule will be with the olympics break that season.

I'd prefer he just put it all together and make the conversation moot, though.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I thought he could still be bought out in summer 2026, but it depends on when the window opens / the cup finals end? His birthday is july 6, so usually the window would have been opened in time but who knows what the schedule will be with the olympics break that season.

I'd prefer he just put it all together and make the conversation moot, though.
Actually, you're correct. I had a brainfart and messed up my thinking with the June 30/July 1 watershed for the UFA eligibility, failing to realize that at least on the first buyout window in 2026 he *should* still be 25.

I wouldn't think that NahL will move the July 1 based off-season schedule because of the Olympics.

(yes that's an unintentional typo but I'll leave it and will be using it from now on)

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Good points.

FWIW: I think Seattle is a pretty big market though; much larger than Raleigh and has decent summers too (winter is meh though).
I don’t think it’s a hotspot for these guys, which was more my point than just size. The weather isn’t perceived as great, it’s just not a huge destination to them. I think both teams have to do some convincing, I think we can attract free agents better than before but we may have to pay more to make it happen. They’re in the same boat imo. I think we just saw proof of it. For them it’s worth signing those two because they’re both upgrades and they want to improve. The deals will hurt on the back end but that’s the game all teams play with ufa contracts. We couldn’t get Jake to take our money till he’s 38 but we sure tried and we didn’t hesitate to pay Slavin till his 39. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong but it’s hard for us to throw stones at other teams for signing ufa’s after this summer.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Makes sense since it is impossible to get a regional carriage deal for the Canes.
I'm sure one of the big issues is considerations on working with various station owner groups instead of having one group that owns a butt load of stations over the coverage area like Vegas was able to work with. Makes it hard to guarantee coverage in say Wilmington, Charlotte, Asheville, or even the Triad, yet alone SC and GA.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I'm sure one of the big issues is considerations on working with various station owner groups instead of having one group that owns a butt load of stations over the coverage area like Vegas was able to work with. Makes it hard to guarantee coverage in say Wilmington, Charlotte, Asheville, or even the Triad, yet alone SC and GA.
Yes and a few are network owned which makes it even more difficult (ie in Raleigh market ABC and CBS stations)

Network owned stations are never going to preempt their own shows for hockey.

Reactions: DaveG

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Yes and a few are network owned which makes it even more difficult (ie in Raleigh market ABC and CBS stations)

Network owned stations are never going to preempt their own shows for hockey.
I dont understand why the Canes are not selling their streaming right outside of the NHL/ESPN deal. Doesnt Vegas sell theirs independently?

Reactions: cptjeff

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I dont understand why the Canes are not selling their streaming right outside of the NHL/ESPN deal. Doesnt Vegas sell theirs independently?
I'm sure that's one of the considerations with Vegas not having to be stuck with Bally though and broadcasting independently. DSG isn't about to let teams sell their streaming rights.

Reactions: cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Makes sense since it is impossible to get a regional carriage deal for the Canes.
Not that impossible. WRAL, especially if you get the networks they are partnered with like WILM, gets you basically the entire state, parts of SC and up into Virginia. They would just have to build it all up from scratch, first, and that's probably more investment that Dundon is willing to undertake if he can have an absolutely shitty 3rd party do it for him.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Not that impossible. WRAL, especially if you get the networks they are partnered with like WILM, gets you basically the entire state, parts of SC and up into Virginia. They would just have to build it all up from scratch, first, and that's probably more investment that Dundon is willing to undertake if he can have an absolutely shitty 3rd party do it for him.
Nah, big markets such Greensboro, charlotte, Winston-Salem are missing.
Plus Columbia, Charleston etc.

Also, when you only have one option your ability to extract higher revenues by playing one against the other is nil.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Surely they could have gotten Staal's retirement night against a team he actually played for? Why the Ducks?

I mean... besides the obvious that all of these games would likely have low attendance if not for the theme night happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad