News From Around the League - Part XXXVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It doesn't make sense to me because of time zones, though.

It makes sense because of travel.
Time zones matter much more than travel. Travel is basically irrelevant, less travel is a luxury. Having your team in a different time zone from the rest of the teams in its division is a huge problem.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Every division out West spreads across at least 2 different time zones.
It's not really valid to halt a swap because of one more time zone issue.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Every division out West spreads across at least 2 different time zones.
It's not really valid to halt a swap because of one more time zone issue.
Every division out West doesn't have much of a choice, due to the more difficult geography of teams. If you look at the NHL's more recent realignment plan, it basically was aiming to reduce the time zone differences within divisions as much as possible (as well rather obviously planning for an expansion to 32 teams).

The general rule for realignment will be no division should straddle more than 2 time zones, and should straddle only 2 if absolutely necessary. Assuming we do eventually end up with a 4 conference/division system (whatever you want to call it), you'll have 2 conferences exclusive with Eastern teams, 1 conference with a mix of Central and Eastern teams, and 1 conference with all the Pacific and Mountain teams.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Every division out West doesn't have much of a choice, due to the more difficult geography of teams. If you look at the NHL's more recent realignment plan, it basically was aiming to reduce the time zone different as much as possible.

If we're talking about complete realignment over a simple of swap of one team in, one team out to get Winnipeg back out West, then I agree with you.

Regardless, I don't think Winnipeg gets out of the South East without a full scale realignment anyway.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
If we're talking about complete realignment over a simple of swap of one team in, one team out to get Winnipeg back out West, then I agree with you.

Regardless, I don't think Winnipeg gets out of the South East without a full scale realignment anyway.
Even if it is a simple swap, they're going to want to swap either Detroit or Columbus. It's so much easier for the TV people that the league is totally beholden to.

I still think the league's original realignment plan is the one we'll end up seeing, with four conferences. I just hope they come up with a better playoff plan (keep two conferences, please, even if you have more interconference play) and actually go through with the expansion to 32 teams (which I think is probably inevitable - Phoenix moves to Seattle, Quebec City and ? enter the league).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But anyways, Is Winnepeg not in a different timezone then the rest of the south east.

I guess Detroit hissy fit is the answer.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
But anyways, Is Winnepeg not in a different timezone then the rest of the south east.

I guess Detroit hissy fit is the answer.
Winnipeg is, but from the perspective of the TV people, swapping Winnipeg and Nashville fixes nothing. They're both Central. Winnipeg will swap with Detroit or Columbus, if it is a simple swap (which it will not be). Detroit apparently has the league over a barrel here, since the league can't swap Columbus (or Nashville) in without infuriating Detroit, and can't swap Detroit without infuriating the Western Conference.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Even if it is a simple swap, they're going to want to swap either Detroit or Columbus. It's so much easier for the TV people that the league is totally beholden to.

I still think the league's original realignment plan is the one we'll end up seeing, with four conferences. I just hope they come up with a better playoff plan (keep two conferences, please, even if you have more interconference play) and actually go through with the expansion to 32 teams (which I think is probably inevitable - Phoenix moves to Seattle, Quebec City and ? enter the league).

That's another reason why I believe it'll be anyone but Detroit.
Detroit wants in the East, but they're too big of a draw out West.
Perhaps it's better that everyone's already writing their eulogies for the post-Lidstrom Wings... might be easier for them to make their move into the ETZ.

I detest the playoff guidelines for the 4 conferences, especially considering that it was incomplete at the time they tried to pass it.
I'm a big fan of the 2 conferences, though. Playoff matches can get very stale with the former.

Last edited:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
It doesn't matter about travel. it matters about time zone and getting maximum viewers for all your games in the time zone. League cares about ratings and money, not how tired players will be from travel.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It doesn't matter about travel. it matters about time zone and getting maximum viewers for all your games in the time zone. League cares about ratings and money, not how tired players will be from travel.
Bingo. Less travel is a luxury for teams, not a pressing objective for the league. The league wants to maintain rivalries and reduce time zone differences. That explains every decision they made in the last realignment proposal.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Until travel is addressed, though - you're going to have a PA that is going to continue to drag it's feet on the issue.
That's what shot it down last time, it'll be put on the shelf again if it's not thought through.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are they ever gonna do the realignment? I can't take Winnipeg in the southeast seriously any more. They may as well be in the division with Detroit. Wouldn't mind Nashville in the east.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Until travel is addressed, though - you're going to have a PA that is going to continue to drag it's feet on the issue.
That's what shot it down last time, it'll be put on the shelf again if it's not thought through.
PA shot it down last time to flex their muscles going into the CBA negotiations. If the league tries it again now I guarantee it passes, especially if it comes with an expansion proposal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bingo. Less travel is a luxury for teams, not a pressing objective for the league. The league wants to maintain rivalries and reduce time zone differences. That explains every decision they made in the last realignment proposal.

But as noted time zones are not the issue. And I'd think Winnipeg would have a much easier time developing rivalries with teams that are much closer to it. And Nashville hasn't been around long enough to worry about rivalries. Don't see either of these issues being in play here.

Now I don't see why Detroit would be in such a rush to get away from Chicago, but it still makes the most sense.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can see the NHL being wary of putting Winnipeg in the NW. Not wanting to pack 4 Canadian teams in one division.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
5 years ago I'd say that someone would lose their job over Columbus coming East and Detroit staying West.

Not so sure now, though.

I can see the NHL being wary of putting Winnipeg in the NW. Not wanting to pack 4 Canadian teams in one division.

Winnipeg should be with Minnesota, Dallas, etc.

Vancouver should be with the Cali teams.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
But as noted time zones are not the issue. And I'd think Winnipeg would have a much easier time developing rivalries with teams that are much closer to it. And Nashville hasn't been around long enough to worry about rivalries. Don't see either of these issues being in play here.

Now I don't see why Detroit would be in such a rush to get away from Chicago, but it still makes the most sense.
How are time zones not the issue? Time zones are, from the perspective of the league, the only issue that matters, followed by maintaining divisional rivalries. And Nashville has a pretty well-developed rivalry with Detroit (so does Columbus, the Ohio/Michigan thing is pretty big out here).

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
The next change in conference arrangements will almost certainly be a major realignment. These are the things to keep in mind:

NHL Teams by Time Zone:

Pacific: Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver <- these four teams will not be split from one another
Mountain: Phoenix, Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton <- these four teams will not be split from one another
Central: Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Minnesota, Winnipeg <-these six teams will not be split from one another

Eastern: All the rest (seventeen teams in all, too many even for a half-league conference, these teams will have to be split from one another)

Relevant Rivalries for any realignment:

Chicago-Detroit
Philadelphia-Pittsburgh-New York Rangers-New York Islanders-New Jersey
Boston-Montreal-Toronto-Buffalo-Ottawa

Those groups of teams will only be split from one another if the league has no other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad