News From Around the League - Part XXXVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How are time zones not the issue? Time zones are, from the perspective of the league, the only issue that matters, followed by maintaining divisional rivalries. And Nashville has a pretty well-developed rivalry with Detroit (so does Columbus, the Ohio/Michigan thing is pretty big out here).

Is Winnipeg in the Eastern time zone?

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
All that being said... does Detroit even have the say that it used to? Does their hissy fit matter as much as anyone's temper tantrum?

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but from the way the lockout played out, it doesn't seem like Detroit is as in the in-crowd as it used to be.

Doesn't Jacobs have an axe to the grind when it comes Ilitch? Someone refresh my memory.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That's only the case right now because of circumstances outside of the league's control. The league tried to fix this issue, the PA killed it. Any shift is going to correct for this issue, not ignore it.

If time zones were the end all be all Columbus would be in the SE and Winnipeg in the Central.

It must be Detroit.

DevilsAnimal*

4odzu.png

Also;
Vancouver to north West, Colorado to Pacific
and/or
Columbus to east, ottawa to central

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would Detroit wanna move out of the west though? To me Winnipeg being in the east isn't so much the time zone. It's a ridiculous amount of traveling for the Florida teams, Carolina, and Washington.

If you look at a map, Winnipeg is due north of the Minnesota/North Dakota state lines.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If geographical rivalries were the driving factor Nashville would be SE and Winnipeg NW, Minne Central.

If Timezones, Columbus would be SE and either Winni or Minny Central.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes, very much so. It's the 14 other teams that never wanted them to.

Really? Why not?

If everyone remembers before Colorado moved from Quebec they were in the east. Toronto was in the west. When the Nordiques moved to Colorado and became the Avalanche in 95 they moved straight into the western conference. Toronto moved from the west over to the east.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yes, very much so. It's the 14 other teams that never wanted them to.

It's a little surprising cause I would think their division would be good for them.

Chicago is big market, original 6 team. St. Louis is a decent market, and good geographical rivalry. Columbus is a good local, and is the long Ohio team.

I know the rest of the conf. is a bunch of east bumble *******, but the division is good and Chicago alone would be a tough rivalry to lose.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It's a little surprising cause I would think their division would be good for them.

Chicago is big market, original 6 team. St. Louis is a decent market, and good geographical rivalry. Columbus is a good local, and is the long Ohio team.

I know the rest of the conf. is a bunch of east bumble *******, but the division is good and Chicago alone would be a tough rivalry to lose.

It's not just the rivalry, it's the $$$$.

Edit: Sorry I misread your post.

But, as Classic Devil kept pointing out, Detroit wants in the East to deal with time zone issues.
It's a better draw for them if they can accommodate their own time zone.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
4odzu.png

Also;
Vancouver to north West, Colorado to Pacific
and/or
Columbus to east, ottawa to central

This is really good. Only oddity is Washington driving past 5 teams to get to their away games, but that's not Winnipeg in the SE odd.

Poor washington. So close to these big markets, yet stuck with the panthers.

DevilsAnimal*

Well cant break up the atlantic

that would be so bogus for rivalries

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It makes sense for the most part, but Dallas is absolutely screwed here.

There aren't many ways to align the teams favorably to Dallas... but that's probably the worst division to put them in.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I still think we're going to see Phoenix move and an expansion to 32 (Portland/Seattle, Quebec City, Atlanta Mark 3, Toronto Mark 2?) sometime in the not-too-distance-future, so a lot of these maps need to account for that. It's difficult to say what the maps will look like next season.

If Detroit moves East, they lose Chicago but gain Toronto back, a trade-off I think they'd be happy with.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Phoenix is going to move, it's only a matter of time and I think we may legitimately see expansion sooner rather than later.

For expansion, I think a new Ontario team is looking likelier all the time (Markham is jonesing for a team at least). I think Atlanta is caput, don't know if there'd be an owner. I could see Seattle or maybe even a second Bay Area team.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Hamilton has tried for decades to acquire a team, but Quebec will get one first.
not sure I' in favor of more expansion either. With the KHL gaining ground, the talent could become much to thin.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
If we're going to continue with this East vs West conference format, I want a unique rule to each one like the designated hitter to make it mean something. Otherwise it should be divisions and screw the conferences.

I got it - East has no trapezoid, and West has no instigator automatic ejection rule.

Ratings soar*

East attracts the mobile goaltenders while the West attracts the goonery that drives sun belt ticket sales.

What? You wanted bigger nets?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I expect Phoenix to Seattle once they get going on that arena.

Quebec City and another team will probably occur in 5 years even to make 32 teams. The NHL wanted that 8 teams per division re-alignment so that will easily occur again.

The reason they loved it is time zone usage and everyone in the division only being off by 1 time zone at max. Look no further then the Florida teams in the division with Buffalo and Ottawa; the concern isn't travel.

Recall that the NHL proposed an alignment of:

D: New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

C: Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

B: Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

A: Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

Notice how Phoenix moving to Seattle creates no issue and 2 expansions in the east are preferred to even out C and D. Expect that to happen either 2014 or 2015 depending on if they want to make this happen during an olympic year or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad