News From Around the League - Part XXXVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The Royal Rumble! That was a very good show

I think Seattle will be a good market for the NHL. That Vancouver rivalry needs to be established but it will yield to good things and a stronger US presence. Assuming someone has some patience to get it done and let it grow.

Royal Rumble was pretty good. Rock vs Cena II is i dunn though.

I dunno why I felt so ashamed to tell certain friends I was doing a road trip for a 'rasslin event. Attending a Royal Rumble was definitely on the to do list. We stole the idea, but my friends and I make a game out of the RR. We draw random numbers and you get points based off of how well that entrant performs (points for eliminating somebody and points for survival). This year we made it a split pot for high/low score, this way you can be excited when David Otunga's music hits.

Not quite sure why I'm reserved about Seattle supporting an NHL team after novelty wears off. They do have a pair of WHL teams nearby (Thunderbirds who play ~30 minutes south of Seattle and Everett which is about 30 minutes north).

Ideally I'd like to see Phoenix keep its team. Hypothetically, if Phoenix and say Kansas City (they have an NHL ready arena) got expansion franchises, you could move Detroit/Columbus to the East fairly easily.

Pacific (Smythe): Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose | Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver
Central (Norris): Chicago, Kansas City, Nashville, St. Louis | Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Northeast (Adams): Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto | Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh
Atlantic (Patrick): New Jersey, NY Rangers, NY Islanders, Philadelphia | Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

Norris without Detroit would seem weird though. Either 8 divisions of 4, or 4 divisions of 8. Adding another team in Canada would probably be better than KC or Seattle, but probably would mean that only one of Columbus/Detroit could move over.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
There were moments during last years playoffs that you could really tell Olczyk was unhappy having to work with both Doc and Pierre. I get the feeling that he doesn't like having to listen to guys who didn't play the game.

And that's funny, 'cause Olczyk was awful.

Olczyk is an idiot. Half the time his analysis is wrong, and the other half of the time it's inherently obvious to anyone who isn't watching for the first time. And if I hear him say "active stick" I start to rage.

Oroku Saki*

A stroll down memory lane for your enjoyment.

Homer Joe was more pissed then Girardi.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There were moments during last years playoffs that you could really tell Olczyk was unhappy having to work with both Doc and Pierre. I get the feeling that he doesn't like having to listen to guys who didn't play the game.

And that's funny, 'cause Olczyk was awful.

That's more or less constructing a narrative, around a tweet that was proven not true. If Olcyzk was unhappy it was probably about doing Devils games in general :p:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I really don't think Phoenix will be around once they get bought by someone interested in Seattle. QBC will get an expo and probably another one within 5 years.

Really hope you jumped out of your seat when Jericho came out. I Wanted to **** myself.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wait. The T-Birds don't play in Key anymore?

When I went in 2009, they were playing in a suburb named Kent. Arena seemed relatively new and maybe had capacity around 4,000? I just remember seeing a sign listing it as the home of the Thunderbirds and Seattle's Lingerie Football League team.

Really hope you jumped out of your seat when Jericho came out. I Wanted to **** myself.

333709_10101376971140624_2130274210_o.jpg

Woo woo woo you know it. Tried to stay away from spoilers heading in, but it seemed like there were set to be three surprise entrants. Enjoyed the Godfather entrance/elimination, but maybe was hoping for something a bit more major.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
That's more or less constructing a narrative, around a tweet that was proven not true. If Olcyzk was unhappy it was probably about doing Devils games in general :p:

What tweet? It wasn't the Devils games I noticed it. Honestly I think he just dislikes Pierre. Pierre would come out with his usual "well whaddya think about blah blah blah, eh Edzo?" and by the end of the game Olcyzk was quite literally ignoring him. And a couple times he got really argumentative and sounded like he was going out of his way to disagree. Probably was just having a bad week.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
When I went in 2009, they were playing in a suburb named Kent. Arena seemed relatively new and maybe had capacity around 4,000? I just remember seeing a sign listing it as the home of the Thunderbirds and Seattle's Lingerie Football League team.
ShoWare Center was a brand new arena in 2009, if you`re referring to their current venue. The capacity is around 6.5k...

qDvyUrQ.jpg

Why do I know about it? It`s my dream arena for our local team. lol

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Flyers just confirmed that Simmonds has a concussion from the Erskine hit.

Going to be a long season in Philadelphia.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City

Yeah, I know Kent. When I left Washington, there was talk of possibly putting an NBA/NHL facility there since it is between Seattle and Tacoma. Didn't know they had built a minor league facility there and that the T-Birds moved to the new building. Hasn't helped their play much, that's for sure.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
God forbid someone takes a shot and misses the net wide and the puck clears the zone in the presence of Olczyk. :shakehead

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just wondering:

Why is Winnipeg in the South East and Nashville in the Central?

Sounds like a pretty easy fix(Though I'd put Minne in the central and Winni in the NW).

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Detroit, at one point, was promised that if the realignment ever happened, they'd be the team to head into the Eastern Conference.

They want to play with teams in the Eastern Time Zone.

So whenever moving teams around comes up, it needs to be handled with kid gloves because apparently Detroit will have a hissy fit.

Nashville in the South East makes a **** ton of sense to me, though.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Detroit, at one point, was promised that if the realignment ever happened, they'd be the team to head into the Eastern Conference.

They want to play with teams in the Eastern Time Zone.

So whenever moving teams around comes up, it needs to be handled with kid gloves because apparently Detroit will have a hissy fit.

Nashville in the South East makes a **** ton of sense to me, though.
Nashville is in the Central Time Zone, they're not moving. Columbus makes much more sense.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Detroit shouldn't be in the East because there are other teams that should be there that make more sense.

Also, why would other teams in the West with big rivalries with them now and that depend on that to draw let that happen? Gotta suck it up and realize they'll be in the Central time zone matchups. There won't be 2 major conferences soon anyway once they switch to 4 major divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad