News From Around the League - Part XXXVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I read a lot of opinions along the lines of "if it wasn't Cooke, no one would suspect anything dirty." But it WAS Cooke. It's the same reason you're extra suspicious of repeat offenders over people with clean records.

I don't believe for a second that Cooke was trying to cut anyone, but I DO believe that he doesn't take a players' safety into account as often as most players do. How many players go to the boards with their skate in the air like that? And how many of those players DON'T bring their skate blade down on someone's leg?

apice3*

People confused "cleaning up his act" with "playing with Crosby and putting up points." Next time he plays Ottawa, he's going to have to square up with Neil or someone. I hope he gets knocked out cold.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
True, but I want to set my expectations a little higher than just making the playoffs this year. The team totally proved me wrong last year about what they could accomplish, and they've even shown this year that they can succeed without Parise. Gotta go for a Cup before Marty retires.

I hear ya. Don't worry I get a little nervous when we piss away points to trash like Winnipeg, or the bottom feeders.

It's why I don't mind Pittsburgh winning when they play trash pail teams. I know Pittsburgh will be in the playoffs. If they make it harder on the bottom feeders like Florida, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Flyers, etc I look at it like that.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
People confused "cleaning up his act" with "playing with Crosby and putting up points." Next time he plays Ottawa, he's going to have to square up with Neil or someone. I hope he gets knocked out cold.

There were interviews where he actually said he wanted to clean up his act and become a more respectable player. Personally though, regardless of his intentions, I believe reckless play becomes a bit of a habit, and stepping on the back of Karlsson's leg was an example of that.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day

PIMS in three previous years 101,106,129........last year 44.

Whether people want to believe it or not, Cooke has cut most of the crap out of his game. Cooke and Bylsma even talked about how he played and he looked afraid to hit people the beginning part of last year, then he got more comfortable and became physical again but his hits were all good and within the rules.

But this is coincidental, he's injured at the almost exact same part of this ice by Matt Cooke 2 times

and

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Good for Erik and I agree, Cooke's apology was essentially, "Oh I cleaned up my act and it sucks so what do you want I'm sorry damnit!"

Coming from Cooke, that is garbage and I hope he gets flattened Evander Kane style next Ottawa game.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
sucks about geno. I actually like that guy, such raw talent

And I personally feel like the Penguins have a bad influence on him. From Lemieux who is an hypocrite to the way Bylsma let his players act so poorly when things don't go their way. This organisation just never hold his own players accountable for their mistakes.

On the other hand Kovalchuk would be a good mentor for Malkin and he'd look great in black and red. :D

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It says the new realignment they've worked on, doesn't mean it's going to pass. Columbus in our division is laughable, but hey they gotta go somewhere.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i don't like that it will be uneven.

It has to be until they get 32 or unless they kept the six division format, which they don't want to do because of travel ostensibly. Supposedly they're working on a wild-card for the two eight-team divisions (a one-game playoff between 4/5? Just my guess)

apice3*

Someone tweeted that the Rangers could be this years Kings.

Aside from underperforming, I don't see a correlation at all.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It has to be until they get 32 or unless they kept the six division format, which they don't want to do because of travel ostensibly. Supposedly they're working on a wild-card for the two eight-team divisions (a one-game playoff between 4/5? Just my guess)

That is a terrible idea because if you are a 4 seed way out in front of the 5 you have to play a one or three game series just because you are in the 8 division. If you are going to do wild car then you do a division of 8 and 7 in both the east and east. Then only if the 5th place team in the 8-division has more than the 4th you do the one or two (with advantage) game playoff for the slot.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Someone tweeted that the Rangers could be this years Kings.

Aside from underperforming, I don't see a correlation at all.

Last year was a fluke for the Rangers. They have been a bubble team since 2008 every year since last year. Last year Lundpads was great and their defense overachieved. This year they regressed and have no depth because of the nash trade (and he is hurt)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I know he's not terribly popular on this forum, but every time Steve Ott opens his mouth he impresses the hell out of me.

"We're a good team making stupid mistakes. It doesn't matter how good you are if you play stupid hockey"

"We're beating ourselves before the puck even drops."

"It's not a matter of talent or leadership, we're just not putting it together."

"It's a work in progress, and yeah it sucks to go through, but we need to be patient and work our way through this."

The guy just gets it. Give that man a letter on his chest.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
And I personally feel like the Penguins have a bad influence on him. From Lemieux who is an hypocrite to the way Bylsma let his players act so poorly when things don't go their way. This organisation just never hold his own players accountable for their mistakes.

On the other hand Kovalchuk would be a good mentor for Malkin and he'd look great in black and red. :D

speaking of bylsma not being very disciplined:

my step dad is good friends with joe vitale's father in law. early when he first got called up to the pens a couple years ago, they were in a brawl fest with the isles. by the time half of each team was thrown out of the game already, bylsma sent joe out and told him "i'm not sending you out there to score goals."

something about that quote doesn't seem very professional to me. coaches are supposed to rein in their players, not essentially tell them to go get in a fight.

apice3*

Rangers got real lucky avoiding the injury bug. Clearly catching up with them this year. Nash, Callahan, Del Zotto, and now McDonagh and Girardi all getting injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad