News From Around the League - Part XXXVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Last year was a fluke for the Rangers. They have been a bubble team since 2008 every year since last year. Last year Lundpads was great and their defense overachieved. This year they regressed and have no depth because of the nash trade (and he is hurt)

I remember last year when I was speaking to Rangers fans before our series with them. They didn't understand why I though the Devils were going to win. I told them they had the two worst teams in the East take their team to 7 games. They wanted nothing of it. Last time I checked i was right. (I know Florida took us to 7 too, but they were the 3 seed!) I am much less afraid of the Rangers this year, because that system of hockey will not work for a full playoffs. Torts really needs to go, but as a Devils fan I want him so badly to stay.

Semak

I remember last year when I was speaking to Rangers fans before our series with them. They didn't understand why I though the Devils were going to win. I told them they had the two worst teams in the East take their team to 7 games. They wanted nothing of it. Last time I checked i was right. (I know Florida took us to 7 too, but they were the 3 seed!) I am much less afraid of the Rangers this year, because that system of hockey will not work for a full playoffs. Torts really needs to go, but as a Devils fan I want him so badly to stay.

If they flame out this year, I could see Torts going but oh no if Lindy Ruff or Paul Maurice take over. If he gets a reprieve because of the half season, I can see him losing the locker room with his act wearing thin. The guy who needs to go is Sather, but I'm not starting the "Fire Sather" campaign anytime soon:D

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Someone tweeted that the Rangers could be this years Kings.

Aside from underperforming, I don't see a correlation at all.

Wait what? They were picked to win the east before the season (for no good reason) and are now massively under performing (not surprising when you think about it).

Their problems are a combo between management and coaching. Sather put together a thin, top heavy team. His love affair with Nash has made the team worse. They still can't score for ****, and now they can't really play D either and are thin all over the place. Add the injuries and you have a bubble team at best right now. Torts is just an idiot because he makes things even worse by demolishing his lines every 5 minutes. Ya nothing is working, but if you keep shaking things up that much every game no one is going to build any chemistry.

You have to know when to shake up the lines, and when to hold them together even if they aren't working at the moment. Torts has no idea how to do that.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
That's on pace for around 53 points in an 82 game season. When you're making $12 million this year (Less due to the lockout), that just won't cut it.

It might be less, but wasn't $8M of that salary in signing bonus? Meaning he's only going to be missing out pro-rated on some $4M?

If he gets bought out after next season, wouldn't that equate to some $51,000,000 for three seasons of work (pro-rated dollars for this year and the timing of his 2014 signing bonus notwithstanding)? :amazed:

wowzers

Last edited:

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City

I absolutely agree with you.

I admit last season that I was slightly nervous going into the ECF, but that was mostly a result of it being a late playoff round, the fact that anything can happen in a short series, and I just dreaded the thought of losing to the Rags that late in the postseason. When I thought about it rationally, though? I realized I actually felt more confident against the Rags than I might have against Washington.

Even last season, they were lacking in depth: their bottom 6 wasn't impressive, and they basically rode 3 defensemen to death, and STILL had to rely on Queen Serta having a Vezina-winning season. If not for Pads McGee, the Devils likely take that series in 5 with significantly less drama.

That said, the Rangers still made it that far in part because they developed young talent at various positions and tried to craft their style of play around them. So how does Sather parlay that into something grander? He trades what little depth he has for Nash.

Nash is dangerous, but the Rangers simply weren't in a position to be trading for him and then banking on a great season.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not the biggest fan of using points per $ to evaluate a player - but the guy looks like utter crap lately.

No legs, boneheaded decisions, give aways galore.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
He was in Dallas. Granted, his skills have diminished since then but the system he's playing in isn't exactly suited to his style of play.

I don't really think so. Not the type of #1 center that can take tough matchups. He's never been a good possesion player in that role.

Last edited:

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Just curious but would you consider a Zajac a true #1 C?

For me, no. He is a very solid #2 center though, probably wouldn't want any other type of player slotted in their. Defensively responsible, good for 50 - 60 points a year, and can play in all situations.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Well done :handclap:

Just curious but would you consider a Zajac a true #1 C?

I'm not sure. I do think Zajac is a better player than Brad Richards, though.

When Richards isn't racking up assists, he's useless. Despite Zajac's offensive struggles as of late, the Devils have still be moving the puck forward when he's on the ice.

Zajac can match up against the Crosby's and Staal's of the world and still hold his own. Richards can't.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Brooks: Rangers should think about buying out Richards

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/there_might_be_brad_news_MNsfx6iWGOJVqBj4SYWbdN

Add another trophy to the list of Glen Sather FA busts

When it rains it pours. If some over here are pushing the panic button, they should have broken the damn button over on the Rags board. That is a true example of the wheels just completely coming off. If the Flyers could ever get their crap together they could easily swap places with the Rags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad