News From Around the League - Part XXXVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
Columbus to the South East
Winnipeg to the North West
Vancouver to the Pacific
Dallas to Central

Think that all evens out.

Atlantic: Same
North East: Same
South East: Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

Central: Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Nashville, St. Louis
North West: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Pacific: Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Detroit can deal with it.
-And the North West still has time zone issues, but the West can't be assembled without some time zone issues factoring in. So be it.

This sounds like the best plan to me. Dallas might moan and groan but someone is going to be left unhappy.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Why does he sound like he's from Boston/New England? Isn't Richards from Canada?

He doesn't sound like he's from New England. Quite the opposite, his Canadian accent is so exaggerated that it sounds like someone accused him of not really being Canadian and he's trying to prove it to them.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
So many darn divisional matchups. The time zone thing is definitely the priority to be fixed just like it was the last time this alignment was discussed.

It also seems apparent the league wants 2 more teams sooner than later to get to 8 in each of the 4 "division conferences". What happens when Quebec gets in? You bump Detroit back? lol

Oh then imagine the flights from Tampa and Sunrise to Quebec City.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He doesn't sound like he's from New England. Quite the opposite, his Canadian accent is so exaggerated that it sounds like someone accused him of not really being Canadian and he's trying to prove it to them.

The way he says arm sounds like a Rhode Islander/Massachusetts person to me.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
So many darn divisional matchups. The time zone thing is definitely the priority to be fixed just like it was the last time this alignment was discussed.

It also seems apparent the league wants 2 more teams sooner than later to get to 8 in each of the 4 "division conferences". What happens when Quebec gets in? You bump Detroit back? lol

If Phoenix moves to Quebec, I suspect Detroit goes Central and Colorado goes Pacific.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The flights from Tampa/Fort Lauderdale to to Quebec can't be as bad as the ones to Winnipeg!:laugh:

Still not a fun place to commute to regularly from down here.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think it's tougher to have Nashville with the 2 FLA teams if they are set on 4 superdivisions. They already don't know where to put them, add in another and it becomes an issue of putting them with the central division? But then you have Florida going to Dallas and more teams crying.

This is going to leave at least a few folks unhappy.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Nashville came to the southeast then they would definitely win that division.

Is it entirely possible for the southeast division winner to have less points than the 9th place team that misses the playoffs?

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
@TSNBobMcKenzie reporting three teams from each conference in new alignment would make playoffs. Rest would be wild cards.

Yet another way to make a mockery of the regular season.
Some* fans were already up in arms about a team like Florida getting home ice advantage... can you imagine?

I like parity, I like that there's no offseason Cup winner and that the days of the dynasty are done. This... feels forced.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Damn I don't want a wildcard at all. Best of 3 maybe? 18W now lol

I'm expecting Phoenix to Seattle next season. So The Quebec expansion would bump detroit back? Noice.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
The proposed new divisions of conference a, b, c and d actually seem to cause more of a problem than how the divisions are set up now. Nashville and Winnipeg in the same division? Florida/Tampa Bay and Montreal in the same division? etc... I mean the teams were moaning about the time zone difference so I guess in return, you can stay in the same time zone more often but you will have to travel further (for some teams)

Then again, other than for a few teams like Winnipeg and some others I think the travel complaints are a bit tiring.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
@TSNBobMcKenzie reporting three teams from each conference in new alignment would make playoffs. Rest would be wild cards.

Some* fans were already up in arms about a team like Florida getting home ice advantage... can you imagine?

I like parity, I like that there's no offseason Cup winner and that the days of the dynasty are done. This... feels forced.

Yeah, I don't care for it either

apice3*

Personally I think any team that complains about being in the West or East needs to stop being babies. It would be on thing if Phoenix moves to Quebec and wants to be in the East - that I get - they'd be one of the Eastern most teams and going out West would be unncessary. In the case of Columbus, Detroit, and Nashville, no one made those owners choose those cities. You want to be in the Eastern conference? I don't know, how about you ****ing move to the East coast?

apice3*

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

That's actually better than 4 and 4, honestly. It's essentially saying, we're gonna take the 8 best from the East and 8 from the West, but each division/conference gets a minimum 3 teams. I suspect that if you lumped both Eastern divisions together, the 3 and 3 + 2 wild cards would be the top 8 combined in most years anyway.

I didn't do the best job expaining that, I know.

It also means that they probably won't do divisional playoffs first two rounds as originally proposed. Another plus.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Wild card doesn't mean extra playoff games, unless that was specified. It just means of the other eighteen teams between the four conferences, the top four make the playoffs I believe, to go along with the first three in each conference/top twelve. Which either makes the whole first two rounds in the division thing sillier than it already is (since they can't literally do it with the potential of five or even six teams from one conference making it) or means they've scrapped it entirely.

If anything this might prevent them from having an extra playoff round. But it does make the bracket a bit more confusing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's actually better than 4 and 4, honestly. It's essentially saying, we're gonna take the 8 best from the East and 8 from the West, but each division/conference gets a minimum 3 teams. I suspect that if you lumped both Eastern divisions together, the 3 and 3 + 2 wild cards would be the top 8 combined in most years anyway.

I didn't do the best job expaining that, I know.

It also means that they probably won't do divisional playoffs first two rounds as originally proposed. Another plus.

If they limit it to two per two conferences, that still makes it uneven since you'd have ten teams vying for the extra two spots in the East Conferences and eight teams vying for the extra two spots in the two West Conferences. Unless of course the reported proposal was wrong (always a possibility) and there's an 8-7 in the two East conferences and the two West conferences. Then it would at least make sense to have two out of nine teams make it, and take away the unfairness of big division vs. small division.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Wild card doesn't mean extra playoff games, unless that was specified. It just means of the other eighteen teams between the four conferences, the top four make the playoffs I believe, to go along with the first three in each conference/top twelve. Which either makes the whole first two rounds in the division thing sillier than it already is (since they can't literally do it with the potential of five or even six teams from one conference making it) or means they've scrapped it entirely.

If anything this might prevent them from having an extra playoff round. But it does make the bracket a bit more confusing.

It probably means that there won't be divisional playoffs but you better believe that they will add games before cutting any.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
How ever you slice it, it's still pretty convoluted.
Either wait for expansion or stick to 6 divisions, 2 conferences.

The forced math on all this is unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad