News and Notes Thread VII: Ch ch ch changes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
CAR was looking at budget-related options (trade or buyout) to clear goalie Cam Ward's salary but now appears Ward will be remaining in CAR.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 42s
CGY was one of several teams that had talked to CAR about Ward. Barring another change of mind, Ward will be CAR's No. 1 G next season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
CAR was looking at budget-related options (trade or buyout) to clear goalie Cam Ward's salary but now appears Ward will be remaining in CAR.

CGY was one of several teams that had talked to CAR about Ward. Barring another change of mind, Ward will be CAR's No. 1 G next season.

I saw that. No. 1 G? That's a surprise (unless it's GM speak again)

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

Fantastic

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
If Calgary was one of several teams talking to us about him then why did we not unload him for literally anything.

This is absurd.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ward plays well this year and Francis looks like a genius. Ward sucks and/or is a malcontent because of playing time, and he looks like an idiot. Not a lot of in between on this one with Khudobin signed to his deal and the money Ward makes.

Going to be interesting for sure. I don't think Cam has ever had a situation in his life (other than maybe the cup year) where he wasn't the defacto #1.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm just curious why a buyout looked like an option at one point and then it wasn't. I'm guessing that's PK's doing which kind of sucks.

Unless, that Tim Murray post draft interview was him talking about Carolina. Hmmmmm.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Because they probably wanted the Canes to eat half his salary, which they could accomplish by buying him out anyway.

We don't know that for sure. If several teams had talked to us about him then obviously there was some level of interest. Burke is absolutely enamored with him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm just curious why a buyout looked like an option at one point and then it wasn't. I'm guessing that's PK's doing which kind of sucks.

Even though McKenzie mentioned it, I never heard it elsewhere and never for one minute thought PK would spend that amount on a buyout

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
We don't know that for sure. If several teams had talked to us about him then obviously there was some level of interest. Burke is absolutely enamored with him.

So it's OK to speculate how stupid something is without knowing all the facts but it's wrong to say maybe it isn't so stupid without knowing all the facts?

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Just to be contrarian... if RF doesn't see any UFAs that he and Peters desperately want then why clear cap space at all costs. Remember we have a new regime that doesn't need to win ASAP no matter what they say. In theory they are working off a larger, bigger picture vision. If they don't think they need money tomorrow then its worth it to go into the season, hope Cam plays well and spin him for something of value. Unlike the JR years maybe the new regime is going to actually subscribe to the concept of proper asset management.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I saw that. No. 1 G? That's a surprise (unless it's GM speak again)

I suspect it's strategic positioning rather than a long-term reality.

Really drive and push him to get healthy, get his back and groin back to 100% and get back to top-shape all off-season; hand him the starting job and hope he comes out of the gate like gangbusters to prove he can still be an NHL starter and can play to a high level of play.

Puck's in his court, so to speak, to prove he's a starter; if he loses the job again, at-least he can't be a malcontent at that point, he'll have lost the job the old-fashioned way...getting outplayed for it rather than losing it while out on injury. If he falters again, he has no basis left to argue that he should still be a starter.

Let's assume he succeeds...he is better than he played last year. Wait for someone suffer a season-destroying injury (or simply totally-falter) for a competitive team...sell Ward for the return we can't get today. If he comes out and plays the first month of the season like a Vezina candidate, there's an immediate market for him at any salary...or he puts this team on his back and carries them to the playoffs.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
So it's OK to speculate how stupid something is without knowing all the facts but it's wrong to say maybe it isn't so stupid without knowing all the facts?

That's assuming it would be stupid to retain half of Ward's salary.

Saving the 3.1M (1.1 of which could be spent on new backup who can post a save percentage above .900, 2 of which could be spent on a decent bottom six forward) would clearly improve the team.

I hope Cam proves me wrong but there is literally no reason to expect anything better than a .905-.910 next year.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Even though McKenzie mentioned it, I never heard it elsewhere and never for one minute thought PK would spend that amount on a buyout
I didn't either. Just the way it was phrased made it seem like they got close and then backed out. I guess it doesn't really matter if they plan on spending to the cap.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I've been of the position all along that it was unlikely they'd trade Ward so that's not the surprising part to me. It's the "he'll be No. 1 G" that's surprising to me.

Yes, I know the coach will decide that, but still a surprise to hear anyone state he'd be No. 1.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I wish this was Chip or Luke doing the reporting. So they could, you know, actually ask questions and give us a little info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad