News and Notes Thread VII: Ch ch ch changes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sad. Didn't they change the rules for the draft lottery anyway? So that bubble teams have the same chance for the 1st overall as the basement team?

They changed it, but from what I read, the chance of the worst team getting the #1 pick went from 25% down to 18-20% range and the furthest they could drop is #2.

Interestly enough, the worst team hasn't won the lottery in the last 4 years.

2011: Worst team didn't win, NJ did..but worst team still got #1 as NJ couldn't move that far.
2012: Worst team didn't win, Edm did and moved to #1
2013: Worst team didn't win, Col did and moved to #1
2014: Worst team didn't win, FLA did and moved to #1

Even if Buffalo finishes last and doesn't get the #1 pick, they will still be in a spot to draft Eichel.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Well, looking at the big picture, Spezza could just play out this year, walk way as a UFA and Senators then get nothing.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well, looking at the big picture, Spezza could just play out this year, walk way as a UFA and Senators then get nothing.

Which is why it doesn't make sense to me why he's forcing a trade to begin with. If they trade him someplace he doesn't want to go he only has to be there 1 season and then he can do what he damn well pleases. Going to Nashville, for example, playing with Weber and Neal on the PP, you think he might get a few assists and up his value? He's holding out hope to be the #2 C somewhere and he's going to hurt his value for a long-term UFA deal.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Which is why it doesn't make sense to me why he's forcing a trade to begin with. If they trade him someplace he doesn't want to go he only has to be there 1 season and then he can do what he damn well pleases. Going to Nashville, for example, playing with Weber and Neal on the PP, you think he might get a few assists and up his value? He's holding out hope to be the #2 C somewhere and he's going to hurt his value for a long-term UFA deal.

If his goal is to maximize the value of the contract he receives in UFA, then you are correct. If his goal is to get to a contender and in a part of the country he wants to live (as I think his oldest kid is reaching school age soon) and not move his family around multiple times, then I can understand the request.

Maybe the discussion started with his future in Ottawa and it became clear to Murray and Spezza that he wouldn't be resigning so he went down this path now vs. waiting (which would benefit Ottawa as well). Just speculating. Also, as a guy with 3 kids of my own that has moved multiple times (my oldest son went to 5 schools in 3 years at one point), there are things other than job and money that can come into play. Not saying that is the case with Spezza, but it's a part of the equation for sure.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Can anyone confirm that today is the deadline for qualifying RFAs? I can't seem to find the whether or not it is the correct date.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
What no one believes and/or agrees with Ronnie and Peters that this team is just 1 win per month away from the playoffs :sarcasm:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm completely, 100 percent with Spezza, Luongo, Kesler, Cam ... any player who has asked for and received a no-trade or no-movement clause via good-faith negotiations using them however they want to use them.

I also have no problem with owners and GMs giving them to players during negotiations.

Bryan Murray and David Poile were wrong to comment on this. Whether or not no-trade clauses are good things or bad things, you just can't make believe a player who has one, doesn't have one. It's there. It's a fact. You have to work around it, and you shouldn't be throwing the player under the bus for something that is his right.

It's like buying an expensive car, then complaining that it cost too much.

These GMs are using no-trades as a way to save money or get a player signed who otherwise wouldn't sign. You can't just make believe it didn't happen that way when you want to deal the guy.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Tampa has used both their C buyouts but I think the buyout part was a mistaken report anyway. they may try to flip Gagner though.

Already did, to AZ for a 6th rounder. TB tossed in Crombeen as well.

So basically TB has traded Purcell & Crombeen for a 6th. Not sure what Stevie Y is up to but it looks like a salary dump.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
finally getting out of Edmonton is half the battle. I bet Gagner cranks it up now with this change of scenery.

wonder what Yzerman's next move is though.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
yeah I just saw that. more cap space. I guess Francis is sleeping at this hour getting rest for all the moves he's going to make this week.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If Tampa does indeed go for Ehrhoff their top 5 dmen would look like this.

Victor Hedman ($4.000m) / Christian Ehrhoff (5.500-6.500m)
Matt Carle ($5.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Eric Brewer ($3.875m)

That's expensive as ****.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
If Tampa does indeed go for Ehrhoff their top 5 dmen would look like this.

Victor Hedman ($4.000m) / Christian Ehrhoff (5.500-6.500m)
Matt Carle ($5.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Eric Brewer ($3.875m)

That's expensive as ****.

But its a hell of a lot better group than we've seen in Raleigh the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad