News and Notes Thread VII: Ch ch ch changes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
The only way we are coming anywhere close to signing any of these guys is if we move Ward. Even if we do, I would not expect earth shattering deals or signings...depth is where the moves will be made.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I wonder how bad of a team Buffalo needs to ice before the league steps in and says "You can't intentionally be this bad, even for McDavid"

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sad. Didn't they change the rules for the draft lottery anyway? So that bubble teams have the same chance for the 1st overall as the basement team?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The only way we are coming anywhere close to signing any of these guys is if we move Ward. Even if we do, I would not expect earth shattering deals or signings...depth is where the moves will be made.

And the depths is where this team will stay.

Skinner // Eric // Lindholm
XXX // Jordan // Semin
Gerbe // Nash // XXX
Dwyer // XXX // XXX

Faulk // Sekera
Hainsey // Liles
Harrison // Murphy

Khudobin
Ward

Just under 12M to fill those spots and/or upgrade. Pencil in Tlusty at 3-3.5M on the 2LW, then you've got less than 9M to fill out the rest of the roster and no one in Charlotte knocking down the door. If this team wants to play to a budget instead of the cap, Peters better be one hell of a better coach than Muller.

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC

XXX // Jordan // Semin
Gerbe // Nash // XXX
Dwyer // XXX // XXX

Faulk // Sekera
Hainsey // Liles
Harrison // Murphy

Khudobin
Ward

Just under 12M to fill those spots and/or upgrade. Pencil in Tlusty at 3-3.5M on the 2LW, then you've got less than 9M to fill out the rest of the roster and no one in Charlotte knocking down the door. If this team wants to play to a budget instead of the cap, Peters better be one hell of a better coach than Muller.

That looks pretty damn ugly. God please move Ward somehow.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

XXX // Jordan // Semin
Gerbe // Nash // XXX
Dwyer // XXX // XXX

Faulk // Sekera
Hainsey // Liles
Harrison // Murphy

Khudobin
Ward

Ouch. Even filling out the top 9 with Tlusty and Loktionov (please be healthy), that's painful. Let's hope Francis is a moneyball expert come July 1.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
what if we traded Liles for literally anything? His cap hit is 3.875 iirc. That's more than half of what Ehrhoff would want.

Then we could just find a #6 in FA.

Sekera//Faulk
Ehrhoff//Hainsey
???//Murphy

Derek Morris maybe?

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
A 3rd for Bollig isn't terrible. I would've easily traded our Wesley pick for him.

I like the idea of buying out Liles to obtain Ehrhoff. Just hope Francis would too.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Eric Staal/$8,250,000 Jordan Staal/$6,000,000 Alexander Semin/$7,000,000

Jeff Skinner/$5,725,000 Brad Richards/$4,250,000 Elias Lindholm EL/$925,000

Nathan Gerbe/$1,750,000 Andrei Loktionov/$1,250,000 Jiri Tlusty/$2,500,000

Matt Cooke/$2,500,000 Manny Malhotra/$750,000 Patrick Dwyer/$900,000

Zach Boychuk/$605,000

Andrej Sekera/$2,750,000 Justin Faulk/$4,833,333

Ron Hainsey/$2,833,333 Christian Ehrhoff/$5,500,000

Derek Morris/$2,750,000 Ryan Murphy EL/$863,333

T.J. Brennan/$600,000

Anton Khudobin/$2,250,000

Ilya Bryzgalov/$2,500,000

Buyouts
None
—
Buried Contracts
None
—
Retained Salaries
Tuomo Ruutu/20.00%/$950,000

Team has retained 1.377% of upper limit in trades. Maximum is 15 percent.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Noon I think.

If you're magically getting rid of Ward, why would you turn around and spend 2.5m on a guy like Bryz? The hilarity isn't worth what he brings.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Would love to see a deal with Buffalo:

Ward
for
Neuvirth + a prospect (McCabe, Carrier, or Baptiste would be amazing)

Gives them a cap heavy goalie who can backup Enroth or start and whose contract runs out just as they start becoming competitive. Ward might waive if he knows he has a better chance of starting.

Canes get a solid backup for a year, a decent prospect, and a boatload of space.

For Buffalo it might beat vastly overpaying a free agent for 5-7 years and ending up with Clarkson 2.0. They have to reach the floor somehow.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think their really needs to be an amendment to the CBA that prevents players with no trade clauses demanding a trade and still having the choice of where they go. It's total ********. It's one thing that a team blindsides you or is even up front with you about wanting to trade you but you get a say in where you go. It's a totally different thing to say I will only go to X place and you have to find a way to trade me there.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Would love to see a deal with Buffalo:

Ward
for
Neuvirth + a prospect (McCabe, Carrier, or Baptiste would be amazing)

Gives them a cap heavy goalie who can backup Enroth or start and whose contract runs out just as they start becoming competitive. Ward might waive if he knows he has a better chance of starting.

Canes get a solid backup for a year, a decent prospect, and a boatload of space.

For Buffalo it might beat vastly overpaying a free agent for 5-7 years and ending up with Clarkson 2.0. They have to reach the floor somehow.

They wouldn't add the prospect. If anything the Canes would have to add a pick.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
They wouldn't add the prospect. If anything the Canes would have to add a pick.

If it were JR we would have to give up a 1st.

I'm working under the assumption that RF could magically convince Buffalo that Ward can still be a top-15 goalie when healthy. In any other trade for him we would have to take back an equal albatross contract, Buffalo is ~$20 million under the Cap (edit: floor) and needs to fill it somehow.

I'd throw in a 2nd if McCabe was coming back. A 3rd if it was Baptiste or Carrier.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think their really needs to be an amendment to the CBA that prevents players with no trade clauses demanding a trade and still having the choice of where they go. It's total ********. It's one thing that a team blindsides you or is even up front with you about wanting to trade you but you get a say in where you go. It's a totally different thing to say I will only go to X place and you have to find a way to trade me there.

I'm not sure I agree Joe, as it's not that straightforward.

Let's say you sign a long term deal with a team with the understanding that the team is going in a certain direction. Then a couple years in, the team changes directions (ie...goes for a rebuild, let's go of all vets and is now not competitive, etc..) Why should a player who then asks for a trade lose his NTC? Or, let's say it's a new coach and you feel it's not a good fit and/or you feel he isn't using you properly. Or you have irreconcilable differences with management, etc... Unfortunately, we never hear the full story on these things.

If a GM doesn't want to be in that pinch, then don't give the player a NTC. I realize that's easier said than done, but everything is negotiable. It might just cost a GM more money instead.

A GM can send a guy to from a contender to a ****** team without batting an eyelash for whatever reason the GM wants (without a NTC). The player being traded really is no concern for the GM as it's "business". This is the flipside, but no different IMO. A player can ask for a trade with little concern for the GM/Team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
There's situations like with Luongo where I honestly thought it was being used simply in a manner that allowed him to be a whiney little ***** with impunity until he got his way... which only happened after he basically forced his original teams hand and made them trade the superior player to another team already. Only for the crybaby act to fire back up after they started someone else in their outdoor game.

Then there are other times where I'm completely fine with it where a player can basically say "ok, well, I'm not going to allow you to trade me to some mediocre team for a mid-level pick just because you want to go in another direction but if you want to send me to a contender then I'm more then OK with that".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad