News and Notes Thread VII: Ch ch ch changes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Francis says Canes will not re-sign Dvorak or Komisarek.

#wtf #shockin

For a brief while, Dvorak looked like a good signing, that lasted about 2 weeks though.

Komi, I was rooting for the guy but he didn't do anything for us, at all. The good thing about it though was that he was cheap and looking for a fresh start.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
These are all easy, obvious decisions, but they weren't being made the past few seasons, so I'm thankful for RF. I'm sure it's easier for him because he wasn't responsible for bringing these guys in, but it's nice to know that he doesn't mind cutting replacement-level players loose.

I am also of the mind that Khudobin/Ward is a passable tandem, but Cam has to be told and has to *accept* the fact that he is *not* the default No. 1, and he can't "play his way into shape." He's got to earn minutes and he's got to put the team first and stop whining.

Frankly, every player on the team has to understand that, and Peters has to be willing to back it up, in order for this to work with the current personnel. I'm not saying it *won't* work, I'm just saying it will take a level of commitment from management and coaching that did not exist under JR.

I actually have no problem with bringing back everyone, save a few changes to role players. Having the Staals, Semin, Faulk, Skinner, etc. play to their potential is the fastest, best and least-expensive route back into contention.

But this has absolutely got to be their last chance. If we start talking about McDavid/Eichel before Christmas, we need to go into full-blown rebuild/tank mode.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The problem being that there probably isn't a team willing to part with a bag of pucks for Ward right now.

Yep, most likely issue there. Either we would have to take back an even worse albatross contract (Vinny) or we'd have to eat at least 2 million of of his salary/cap hit. Either way is a non-starter to me.

Preds shopping Del Zotto.

No shock, had one good season and then became the absolute suck. He's gone full McBain.

I honestly think we need to address that 3rd line most of all right now. I'm OK with Lokti getting an early look at being our full time #3 guy (assuming we retain him, if not then WTF?) but we absolutely need to upgrade our #3 RW more then any other position on our team right now. I like Dwyer but he's a 4th liner. I can see wanting to upgrade our 4th line for sure, but I don't see why we can't roll out McGinn-Nash-Dwyer. Then again part of that is because I absolutely don't want McGinn getting ruined in our craptastic AHL system.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think it's a bit of GM posturing re: Ward and Khudobin. Unlike JR who basically told you exactly what he was going to do, RF isn't going to come out and say he's trying to trade him. He's much better off saying he's ok going into the season with both rather than come across as desperate to trade him.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yep, most likely issue there. Either we would have to take back an even worse albatross contract (Vinny) or we'd have to eat at least 2 million of of his salary/cap hit. Either way is a non-starter to me.

No shock, had one good season and then became the absolute suck. He's gone full McBain.

I honestly think we need to address that 3rd line most of all right now. I'm OK with Lokti getting an early look at being our full time #3 guy (assuming we retain him, if not then WTF?) but we absolutely need to upgrade our #3 RW more then any other position on our team right now. I like Dwyer but he's a 4th liner. I can see wanting to upgrade our 4th line for sure, but I don't see why we can't roll out McGinn-Nash-Dwyer. Then again part of that is because I absolutely don't want McGinn getting ruined in our craptastic AHL system.

So Dave, you and I are on the same page here. Tlusty will be back so our top 6 is solidified, but our bottom 6 is in total disarray.

I absolutely agree that a 4th line of Nash/Dwyer/whomever-Checker-McSomebody would be fine. That 3rd guy has to be hard nosed though or we get out-muscled and trapped in our own end (unless Nash is on a crash workout plan). The 3rd line is where we've got some work to do. Likely Gerbe, but maybe Tlusty, is the only known on that line. We need a bit of size and toughness to offset Nathan. I've proposed trying to work a deal for Josh Bailey whom I believe would be an outstanding target for us.

Many of the right wings available would be nice, but I'm guessing they are out of our price range. I mean it would be great to pick up one of Vrbata, Setoguchi, Kulemin, or Downie but I think that with Jiri's contract, we'll likely have only a little room (I'm guessing that PK is thinking $65 - $66 million as our budget). These guys are likely going to command $3+ million or a shade less.

So I think we're going to be stuck bargain basement shopping. I see a couple of options that might be interesting. First, I'd like to see if we could somehow wrangle a Devin Setoguchi...he'd be my first choice. After him, I'd be more inclined to see if we could pull a bit of a reclamation project like Jack Skille or hope that a David Moss could stay healthy. The problem with all of this speculation, given that the UFA market is a bit slender here, is that we really need the 3C just as bad.

Other than Ott or Goc, I just don't see anybody really out there for us. I'm not sold on Loktionov at all especially coming off of shoulder surgery. I'd likely qualify him and put him on LTIR, but we really are hamstrung with our budget unless we want Riley Nash as our 3C.

That's why my gut tells me there's some sort of trade coming...and I don't know who that trade would be with or what it would be for, but our bottom six remain a serious question mark and we definitely need a Bellemore replacement.

Color me confused right now....

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I said it before. St. Louis, Nashville, Phoenix if they clear money, these are my estaal favorites. Nashville makes the most sense to me with lavi and their adamance that they are changing their style. They want a top center badly.

I think Nashville has the goods to make rf reconsider waiting a year to trade him. I think he'd say no to St. Louis, at least to start this year.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I think MDZ would be just fine. not sure what's going on with him but the kid has talent and can skate. he would seem to fit the way Peters wants to play, moreso than Bellemore.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Buffalo is buying out Christian Ehrhoff. He just jumped to number one on my list.

Interesting.

Sekera-Faulk
Hainsey-Ehrhoff
Harrison-Liles/Murphy

that's actually a pretty solid defense. Nothing that truly stands out in a positive sense but that's 3 top pairing guys, Hainsey would be one of the best #4s in the league, and a very solid 3rd pairing with Liles capable of slotting up. Can't say I'd mind moving out Harrison and replacing him with Bellemore but that's neither here nor there. And I can see some team Fingering Bellemore based off the season he had last year.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I'm actually quite disappointed Bellemore is not coming back. Maybe it's because he is the ONLY prospect that Daniels didn't completely ruin. Not sure but I like him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm actually quite disappointed Bellemore is not coming back. Maybe it's because he is the ONLY prospect that Daniels didn't completely ruin. Not sure but I like him.

The guy's tough, worked he ass off to get here, is actually a decent player, and one of the few actual success stories this org has had when it comes to player development over the last decade. It's hard not to like him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Buffalo is buying out Christian Ehrhoff. He just jumped to number one on my list.

A little surprised they couldn't find a trade partner, maybe Ehrhoff just refused any trade due to his NMC assuming he could double up his money in free agency.

I would guess he will get more than the $4 million he was making in free agency, probably in the $4.5-5.5 range. Even so I would be ecstatic to jump on that.

If it would be possible to add Ehrhoff and Komarov it would fill a lot of deficiencies on the team right now. 2nd pairing D and a hard hitting physical 3rd liner.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
A little surprised they couldn't find a trade partner, maybe Ehrhoff just refused any trade due to his NMC assuming he could double up his money in free agency.

I would guess he will get more than the $4 million he was making in free agency, probably in the $4.5-5.5 range. Even so I would be ecstatic to jump on that.

If it would be possible to add Ehrhoff and Komarov it would fill a lot of deficiencies on the team right now. 2nd pairing D and a hard hitting physical 3rd liner.

Recapture penalty on that contract was potentially ****ing crazy. Something close to 10 million (yeah, seriously)

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Sidebar comments:

Ehrhoff was paired with Sekera at times in Buffalo and is a good PPQB.

Not a total shock on Bellemore, as he's not a great fit for Peters' system. He values skating and moving up ice in transition. Much more in line with Murphy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
On another note, Niskanen has to be pissed. He just went from being a 6 million dollar man, to maybe 5. Ehrhoff just supplanted him as the best UFA dman on the mark and it's not even close.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Erhoff would be nice, but if we can land Niskanen I'd be ecstatic. Been watching him since he was in Dallas when I was based near there.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Ehrhoff's what we needed since Pitkanen got his career ruined but I never liked the idea of giving up good assets to get him on his old contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad