Seravalli: New Jersey Devils have been after Boeser for a few years now.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Zacha is putting up almost the same amount of points as Boeser this year and I presume nowhere near the offensive opportunities that Boeser does. A top young 21 year old defenseman who has yet to play a full season and moving back from 4th overall to 12th and decreasing your chances at first overall is not worth Boeser. He is on pace for around 53 points this year is an RFA and will be asking for 8 Million.
If we are making a deal based around Boeser and Zacha there is no chance Smith or our first is on the table.
You're not acquiring Boeser at all if you think this year is what he is. Why would you even want to if you think this year is what he is? And why would we want to trade him if his value is based on this year?

If you want Boeser, you're doing it on the assumption that he'll pick right back up where he left off on his previous 4 straight seasons of 1st line production.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This would make sense if everyone had amnesia and forgot about anything that happened before this year.

Boeser played the previous 4 seasons at an average 69p pace over 82 games. That's 205p over 244 games. He's a proven top line RW, he's 24, and even if he flatlines from here he's a valuable asset.

Zacha played the previous 4 seasons at an average 39p pace over 82 games. That's 117p over 245 games. He's the same age as Boeser with none of the track record.

If you want to throw away everything that happened before this year and pretend Boeser is a 50p player and Zacha is a 40p player then be my guest, but don't expect Vancouver fans to line up to firesale their young talent at bargain bin prices.
when it comes to ty smith amnesia seems to be a appreciated concept.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Ty Smith left handed small mobile d-man is not really a target for Vancouver. I don't obsess over the Right handed/left handed thing, but Smith also plays a style we don't need. Need size and preferably a right handed shot. Schneider is the perfect fit, but you all know about that one.

Maybe I'm too skeptical - but I see a young player like Smith thrown in to a lot of trade proposals by the Devils and wonder why? Cost controlled young asset having a bad year. Is there more to that?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Ty Smith left handed small mobile d-man is not really a target for Vancouver. I don't obsess over the Right handed/left handed thing, but Smith also plays a style we don't need. Need size and preferably a right handed shot. Schneider is the perfect fit, but you all know about that one.

Maybe I'm too skeptical - but I see a young player like Smith thrown in to a lot of trade proposals by the Devils and wonder why? Cost controlled young asset having a bad year. Is there more to that?

The strongest part of our prospect pool is probably lhd, so someone will likely be moved out at some point.

Ty Smith, Luke Hughes, Shakir mukhamadullin, Kevin bahl, Nikita okhotiuk, and honestly, I'm kind of intrigued by Ethan Edwards at Michigan right now. We also have Daniil Misyul who was once a well regarded prospect, but his development in the khl seems to have fallen apart, so he needs to come over, but I suppose there's still some sort of hope there.

Jonas siegenthaler is 24, so probably not going anywhere soon given how good he has been this year. Graves could be resigned, but I could also see us move him.

To make matters worse for Smith's long term prospects with the devils is Hamilton will eat up most pp1 time. Have to assume at some juncture Hughes takes pp2. So unlikely Smith will see much pp time

Reactions: strattonius

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Bingo, with defensive numbers as bad as him, he needs like a full reset. Cause they are really bad.
Hopefully sophomore slump but he has a lot of skill....His mental game was a lot better last year maybe overthinking it this year....Hopefully he does better next year for us

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
McLeod, Bahl, and a 2nd

or if we really want Zacha for some reason:

McLeod, Zacha and 3rd

this is not a high price for a 24 year old RFA who is averaging over 31 goals per 82 games over his first 297 games - even if he’s about to be paid like it.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
This would make sense if everyone had amnesia and forgot about anything that happened before this year.

Boeser played the previous 4 seasons at an average 69p pace over 82 games. That's 205p over 244 games. He's a proven top line RW, he's 24, and even if he flatlines from here he's a valuable asset.

Zacha played the previous 4 seasons at an average 39p pace over 82 games. That's 117p over 245 games. He's the same age as Boeser with none of the track record.

If you want to throw away everything that happened before this year and pretend Boeser is a 50p player and Zacha is a 40p player then be my guest, but don't expect Vancouver fans to line up to firesale their young talent at bargain bin prices.

No doubt you make very good points and I like Boeser but there is risk in Devils acquiring him one high cap number and two he might walk after another year...But offer still has to be fair for both I agree

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
The strongest part of our prospect pool is probably lhd, so someone will likely be moved out at some point.

Ty Smith, Luke Hughes, Shakir mukhamadullin, Kevin bahl, Nikita okhotiuk, and honestly, I'm kind of intrigued by Ethan Edwards at Michigan right now. We also have Daniil Misyul who was once a well regarded prospect, but his development in the khl seems to have fallen apart, so he needs to come over, but I suppose there's still some sort of hope there.

Jonas siegenthaler is 24, so probably not going anywhere soon given how good he has been this year. Graves could be resigned, but I could also see us move him.

To make matters worse for Smith's long term prospects with the devils is Hamilton will eat up most pp1 time. Have to assume at some juncture Hughes takes pp2. So unlikely Smith will see much pp time

Misyul is still a high ranked prospect he is signed in khl and can't come over for at least another year I believe....He's big and physical has tools skating and big shot he just prefers to be defense first player.....If I was Canucks I'd be after him in this trade as part of it....

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
What we really need for Boeser is a young, cost controlled, defensively responsible, top 4 right-shot D. Seeing that NJD do not have this, the next best thing would be picks and/or capspace with which we could use to get said player in the off-season.

Upgrading Dickenson to McLeod as part of the deal would help. One could say the same for Poolman to Smith, though Smith is not the type (small, offensive, poor defensively, left-handed) that would suit Canucks’ needs. I guess downgrading Boeser to Zacha also creates space, though I am not enamored with Zacha’s game.

Also see no reason this trade would be made this season, unless the Canucks are fully out of it. NJD doesn’t need Boeser to compete this season.

Reactions: Smitty426

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
McLeod, Bahl, and a 2nd

or if we really want Zacha for some reason:

McLeod, Zacha and 3rd

this is not a high price for a 24 year old RFA who is averaging over 31 goals per 82 games over his first 297 games - even if he’s about to be paid like it.
Umm ok. Sold

Reactions: Hisch13r

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Bad year, like really bad year, like one of the worst regular skaters in the NHL bad year. Not saying he can't recover from that but this seems to be more than just a sophomore slump, his skating and IQ are major question marks.

LHD is also the Devils biggest organizational strength. We love Jonas Siegenthaler, he has some of the best defensive metrics in the NHL and is still young enough to be a core piece. Luke Hughes is a bluechip. Shakir Mukhamadullin is doing things no teenager has ever done in the KHL. He just signed his ELC and will be joining Utica when his KHL season ends. We also have some very nice left side defenders in the AHL who are all looking to get a cup of coffee in the next year or two. Kevin Bahl, Nikita Okhotiuk, and Mike Vukojevich are all guys the organization is high on. Ethan Edwards (playing with Luke at Michigan) is also a pretty good prospect. So there's a lot of legitimate questions about where Smith fits in with the organization in the long term.

Ryan Graves has been a nice addition, but is UFA in summer 2023 so he might not be here for a while. But in the short term him and Sigenthaler helped stabilize what was a pretty putrid left side after Andy Greene started to show his age before getting traded. Which means Smith is playing 3rd pairing minutes at ES, and the addition of Hamilton has kicked Smith off of PP1. Soooo what's the point in having this guy play horrible minutes when he needs to grow?

I think a lot of Devils fans are upset they held on to Zacha as long as they did, hoping he'd turn into the guy they thought he could be. If we had traded him 3 years ago he would have had much more value, but we held on too long and his value has depreciated significantly. Many Devils fans want to cash out on Smith early, which is also a gamble.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Nucks trying to rekindle some Swedish magic with a Pettersson-Holtz duo?
If the asking price for Boeser is Holtz then the Devils easily walk away from this. You just simply dont trade a goal scorer drafted high dominating the ahl for a year of Boeser. If Holtz hits he will be a much greater player then Boeser. Holtz will be in the NHL next year.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Trade Proposal:

Brock Boeser and Jack Rathbone to NJD

Ty Smith and Lucas Hughes to Vancouver

Canucks shore up their D. Devils get a bonafide goal scorer and young offensive D
This has to be one of the worst trade proposals I have ever seen on this board, and that says alot. Your living in another dimension if you think Boeser & Rathbone (who?) is worth Luke Hughes. Nevermind Luke Hughes & Ty Smith. You got to be joking with that trade proposal right? Yeah lets trade one of the best prospects in the world in Luke Hughes & a young promising defender in Smith for a year of Boeser (also getting paid massively) and a nobody. This trade makes sense....

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Aren't the reports that your team likes him?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Yup more to it. We have a handful of LHD prospects coming up that makes him somewhat redundant. Hughes Shakir Okhotyuk Bahl

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
What we really need for Boeser is a young, cost controlled, defensively responsible, top 4 right-shot D. Seeing that NJD do not have this, the next best thing would be picks and/or capspace with which we could use to get said player in the off-season.

Upgrading Dickenson to McLeod as part of the deal would help. One could say the same for Poolman to Smith, though Smith is not the type (small, offensive, poor defensively, left-handed) that would suit Canucks’ needs. I guess downgrading Boeser to Zacha also creates space, though I am not enamored with Zacha’s game.

Also see no reason this trade would be made this season, unless the Canucks are fully out of it. NJD doesn’t need Boeser to compete this season.

Agree with the last part, although I think if Vancouver wanted to get the most value for Boeser it's probably retaining 50% and moving him to a contender as a quasi-rental before the deadline.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

the devils have drafted plenty of lhd in the last few years:

2021 l. hughes 1st (#4)
2021 t. vilen 5th (#129)
2020 s. mukhamadullin 1st (#20)
2020 e. edwards 4th (#120)
2019 n. okhotyuk 2nd (#61)
2019 d. misyul 3rd (#70)
2019 m. vukojevic 3rd (#82)
2018 t. smith 1st (#17)
some even consider 2017 draftee y. zaitsev (7th /#205) as a potential nhl player

they added also added another prospect from the 2018 in k. bahl (#55) and two relative young nhl players with r. graves (26y) and j. siegenthaler (24y) by trade. smith was also supplanted on the first pp unit by d. hamilton and with severson and subban they also use some other veterans there.

while in his rookie year he quickly got deployed as a top4 d with plenty of pp time, he was demoted this season to third pairing with much less pp time. his opportunities have massively shrinked, which might also impacts his current performances, which led to even less ice time. most devils fans start to consider siegenthaler and graves as keepers past their current contracts and with such a strong lhd pipeline in place, they see smith more and more as expendable, even if he returns to form. hamilton will remain the number one option on the pp, with hopefully l. huges supporting him mid-term and replacing him long-term.

the devils will have to let go some lhd from their organization either by free agency or trade. for us fans trade is obviously the more attractive option and smith seems to be the odd man out (in the fan base) because of fit (lacking an ideal rhd as a partner), need (pp) and assumed trade value.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Is Garland going to available too? I remember reports from like a month ago being we were interested in and I’d prefer him to Boeser

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Boeser would be a good fit with NJ

Hughes and Hischier could use another good finisher to go along with Bratt and eventually Holtz.

Hope they don't get him :naughty:

Reactions: vtdevils2k

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I'm not saying that Zacha is on the same level as Boeser but if you look at their current stats for this year and include the fact that Boeser is clearly given more offensive opportunity to have better numbers, then I don't see why adding Smith or a first makes sense.
Boeser 43 14 13 27
Zacha 47 12 11 23

Is smith and/or a first really worth the upgrade?
You do know Smith is still only in his second year and has yet to play a full season and still has the potential to be a top pairing offensive defenseman? Lets not forget that Boeser is making $6 and is an RFA that is probably going to request $8 and currently not worth that.
I think you would be crazy to make a trade that involves Smith or a first

Boeser is put in offensive opportunities because he has the skillset and abilities to succeed in those roles, which he has. Zacha is not in that position because he does not have those similar skills and when the Devils did put him in that role previously, it resulted in unsuccessful results for himself and the Devils.

8mil ? Thats nowhere near what Boeser will make. There's been many reports/speculations here in Vancouver that it will take a 6.5-6.9/ year AAV on a long term contract to get Boeser resigned.
He certainly isnt asking to make more money than Hughes and Pettersson on the Canucks.

As for Zacha vs Boeser comparion.

Yes they are having "similar" years and I understand if you dont think it makes sense organizationally for the Devils to include a 1st or smith in a deal but I hope you can be honest and clearly see that Zacha and Boeser arent even on the same ballpark and that value wise adding a 1st or a player like Smith is exactly what it would take to get a Boeser attached with Zacha.

This Season:

Boeser- 28 pts in 44 games
Zacha 23 pts in 47 games

Career

Boeser- .80 pts per game
Zacha- .45 pts per game

Boeser - 0.38 Goals per game
Zacha 0.18 Goals per game

Number of 15+ goals season

Boeser- Every year ( 5 years)
Zacha - 1x. 2x if he gets 3 more goals this season

Number of 20+ Goals season

Boeser- 3x
Zacha - 0

Number of 20+ Assists season

Boeser- 4
Zacha 1

Comparing these 2 is apples and oranges , IMO there is no trade to be made for Boeser to NJ if the returning main piece is Zacha. If Zacha is part of the trade then there will be a massive ++ attached.

Reactions: Rabid Ranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad