Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils Draft Simon Nemec, 2nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I would say Nemec's D+1 season would be an A-. He had a solid season and grew as it went along. It's nice that the GM's and others who voted on him making the first rookie all star team thought highly of him too. I'd say the only way he would get an A or A+ on the year is he he forced his way to be called up somehow but that realistically wasn't going to happen unless we had a ton of injuries. The standings were too tight and our group of Dmen this past season was the best we have had in a long time. I think next season he will be the first call up and might stick around for a bit.

Reactions: Oneiro

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Looks real good, and that’s only his D+1 here. Also posted Bader’s model at the end of Nemec’s season. Very nice. He’s only gonna get better overall. So exciting to have 2 elite, top D-men prospects.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I would say Nemec's D+1 season would be an A-. He had a solid season and grew as it went along. It's nice that the GM's and others who voted on him making the first rookie all star team thought highly of him too. I'd say the only way he would get an A or A+ on the year is he he forced his way to be called up somehow but that realistically wasn't going to happen unless we had a ton of injuries. The standings were too tight and our group of Dmen this past season was the best we have had in a long time. I think next season he will be the first call up and might stick around for a bit.
Given that he would be a college freshman and he found success in the top minor league and got better as the season went on and was seemingly at his best in thr playoffs on what was a flawed team I’d give him the A. In the real world the living adjustment alone had to be huge. Getting his feet under him and steadily improving is a fantastic result for him.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Given that he would be a college freshman and he found success in the top minor league and got better as the season went on and was seemingly at his best in thr playoffs on what was a flawed team I’d give him the A. In the real world the living adjustment alone had to be huge. Getting his feet under him and steadily improving is a fantastic result for him.
And that’s as a TRUE college freshman. Realistically if he was going the college route, he probably wouldn’t have even started until next season.

I’m really hyped on this kid. It’s remarkable how ahead of the curve he’s been. My brain says it’ll be 3 years at an absolute minimum before he’s a high-end NHL defenseman, but my gut says he’s figured out multiple pro levels of hockey before his 19th birthday and the sky is the limit.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
i see a lot of the bloggers saying that Nemec is too inexperienced to trot out with Hughes and Bahl for a full season. Personally I’d say bring it on. If Nemec is good enough to make the team out of camp, he should make the team. Manage his minutes and GP if you want, but i have no problem using those three with Hamilton, Marino, Siegs, and Smith for the season.
I've got no doubt that Nemec can step up to NHL as soon as next season but I do worry about the penalty kill.

If Nemec is on the team with Hughes, it probably means the PK 2nd pair is Bahl-Hamilton.

I guess if we are paying Hamilton $9m, he probably needs to also PK.

I think if we can get a Connor Clifton stopgap at RD, we should send Nemec back to Utica for another season.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I've got no doubt that Nemec can step up to NHL as soon as next season but I do worry about the penalty kill.

If Nemec is on the team with Hughes, it probably means the PK 2nd pair is Bahl-Hamilton.

I guess if we are paying Hamilton $9m, he probably needs to also PK.

I think if we can get a Connor Clifton stopgap at RD, we should send Nemec back to Utica for another season.
I wouldn't mind Nemec getting anther year in the minors to develop. Seider for example had a strong D+1 season and benefited from additional season after in Europe.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I wouldn't mind Nemec getting anther year in the minors to develop. Seider for example had a strong D+1 season and benefited from additional season after in Europe.

That was 2020-21 though, I assume Seider was sent to the SHL because the AHL season barely existed.

Grand Rapids played 32 games, which often were more like scrimmages, with no playoffs. Seider got to play more games in the SHL and go on a sweet playoff run to the Finals.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He's 27 years old. There's no way he is signing for less than half of what you've proposed here.

Evolving Hockey had Clifton projected for 3 years/3m.

The dudes Daily Faceoff is using had him at 2 years/1.75m.

I don’t particularly want him. He’s ok I guess, but a bit undersized.

He worse defensively last season than the one before, he just produced more because his team did.

He didn’t pk much for them this season, though he’s done pretty well on it before.

Last edited:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
With Dougie Hamilton on PP1 and Luke Hughes on PP2.

What will that leave for Simon Nemec?

Do you think he will be stuck on the 3rd pair and getting PK2 ice time?

He looked great at Utica. I like to think they feed him more ice time to be able to lean on him a little down the stretch?

Thanks

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
He isn't blocked at all. In my opinion I think Luke Hughes replaces Hamilton on PP1 & we throw Hamilton in the Ovechkin spot for his one timer. Hamilton is slow as shit on the backcheck, Hughes can mitigate that. Let's use Hamiltons strength which is his lethal shot. Ruff actually tried this experiment out one of the last games but I see it as the move going forward. That gives Nemec PP2. Also it wouldn't hurt to have Nemec out with Hughes/Hamilton. It ain't like the dude is a defensive only dman. Most teams just don't 2 dman because they don't have 2 really skilled offensive ones to put on a pair.

Reactions: MrGone

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He isn't blocked at all. In my opinion I think Luke Hughes replaces Hamilton on PP1 & we throw Hamilton in the Ovechkin spot for his one timer. Hamilton is slow as shit on the backcheck, Hughes can mitigate that. Let's use Hamiltons strength which is his lethal shot. Ruff actually tried this experiment out one of the last games but I see it as the move going forward. That gives Nemec PP2. Also it wouldn't hurt to have Nemec out with Hughes/Hamilton. It ain't like the dude is a defensive only dman. Most teams just don't 2 dman because they don't have 2 really skilled offensive ones to put on a pair.
They should have done this with PK. He should have been the shooter instead of QB.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
They aren’t going to do that if it supplants Hughes, which it obviously would since Jack plays in that spot.

I do think as far as the PP goes Nemec is in a weird spot. Maybe there’s a version of the PP2 where Nemec plays the point and Hughes is in more of a dynamic half-wall role, but that sounds like getting too cute.

Anyway, Nemec needs to make the team first, and even that isn’t a given next season.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I realize this should and will not weigh into decision making, but it really would be ideal for long-term team building from a contract standpoint if Nemec plays in the AHL again this year.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I realize this should and will not weigh into decision making, but it really would be ideal for long-term team building from a contract standpoint if Nemec plays in the AHL again this year.
I may try to argue his sweet spot is over 10 games to burn his ELC year and get to his second contract ASAP while playing less then 40 games so that he does not accrue a season towards UFA.

He would likely be the only player of significance coming off his ELC if you start him this year. It gives Nemec one less season to establish himself so it may reduce the long term contract you sign him at in return for the expense of starting his payday 1 year early.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Why is that? I'm not clear on the contract specifics.

I see his ELC slid a year already. I thought that the max it could slide? Or is it possible to slide another year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad