Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils Draft Simon Nemec, 2nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think the Devils developmental decisions are an interesting topic as well.

Very little pp time. Used as a pk regular.

Similar in some ways I think to how they transitioned with Foote last year. Playing him with Gauthier, instructing him to play more physical. And despite some ho hum numbers this past season Fitz was excited about his prospects for next year.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d love for Nemec to turn into a Heiskanen type D . Guy that you can play 30 minutes a night if needed and crush it at all aspects of the game .
Do you guys feel that Nemec’s ceiling could be as high Neiskanen?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’d love for Nemec to turn into a Heiskanen type D . Guy that you can play 30 minutes a night if needed and crush it at all aspects of the game .
Yeah, I think it could. I see similarities in their game.

He plays a lot of minutes, at least internationally (AHL TOI are hard to come by). He clocked in close to 30 minutes a game with regularity at the WJC and around 25~ at the WC this season. For a 18/19 year old that’s pretty impressive. He’s also more of a 2-way D rather than only an offensive one (although his offensive tools are very good), just like Heiskanen. I feel like they’re pretty similar stylistically. 2-way with a bigger penchant for offense, very good skaters, high IQ and poise, etc.

I can definitely see the comparison. Also, fun fact, I vividly remember The Hockey News using Heiskanen as his “comparable” in their 2022 Draft Preview. So this comparison isn’t unfounded.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yeah, I think it could. I see similarities in their game.

He plays a lot of minutes, at least internationally (AHL TOI are hard to come by). He clocked in close to 30 minutes a game with regularity at the WJC and around 25~ at the WC this season. For a 18/19 year old that’s pretty impressive. He’s also more of a 2-way D rather than only an offensive one (although his offensive tools are very good), just like Heiskanen. I feel like they’re pretty similar stylistically. 2-way with a bigger penchant for offense, very good skaters, high IQ and poise, etc.

I can definitely see the comparison. Also, fun fact, I vividly remember The Hockey News using Heiskanen as his “comparable” in their 2022 Draft Preview. So this comparison isn’t unfounded.
Is Nemec skating / foot speed / edge work as good as Heiskanen’s ? Or think he can still develop his skating where he will be a good or even elite skater ? The very limited times I have watched him his skating looked “ good “ but not game breaking like Luke’s

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I really haven’t seen enough of either guy but just going off draft pedigree and Nemec’s d+1 i think a Heiskanen type ceiling is very reasonable.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is Nemec skating / foot speed / edge work as good as Heiskanen’s ? Or think he can still develop his skating where he will be a good or even elite skater ? The very limited times I have watched him his skating looked “ good “ but not game breaking like Luke’s
I dont think Heiskanens is a Hughes level skater either.

Though inmy little bit of following these guys it does sound like Heiskanens a better skater.

I have more confidence in the first of those statements.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Based on my viewings from the last 2 years, Nemec is a very efficient skater. He doesn’t fly through the zone like Luke (only a handful can), it’s not his style, but he’s a very good to elite skater imo and every single stride seems calculated. I don’t think it’s as good as Heiskanen right now, but Heiskanen is 5 years older. It’s probably very similar to Heiskanen’s in his D+1. And there’s no reason to think Nemec’s skating won’t get better, even if it’s already very good.

I feel like we’ve gotten used with having an elite skater like Luke in the prospect pool that we always compare prospects to him, but Luke’s mostly in a class of his own there. Nemec is a very good skater and has no problems transitioning and transporting the puck quickly.

Here’s The Hockey News’ take on Nemec vs. Jiricek in terms of skating:

Jiricek possessing more power in his stride, while Nemec is more dynamic and a little quicker. Nemec is a clearly better skater right now,” said one scout. “Nemec will be a better skater at the NHL level, but the gap will close. When Jiricek fills out, the gap will get much smaller. It’s more than a full point now, it will be three-quarters to a half a point when it’s all said and done.”
Edge: Nemec.

The Hockey Writers scouting report:

Nemec is a very smooth skater with excellent movement as he does an outstanding job of setting up an attack with his zone entries. Even if there isn’t an open lane, he’s able to quickly assess his options and find the open space in order to gain entry in the offensive zone with his quickness and mobility. He’s very deceptive, as he does a great job at drawing in the opposition and can turn on a dime with his edgework and create space for him to carry the play forward.

Strengths

• Skating and mobility
  • Passing abilities
  • Strong in transition
  • Poise and hockey IQ
  • Defensive awareness

And here’s StevenToddIves’ report after the draft:

The young Slovakian is an outstanding skater who is absolutely elite in his playmaking and transition games. His IQ is off the charts and his play with the puck is incredibly advanced for a teenager in a men’s league. Nemec is so smooth with the puck and his distribution of it, it almost seems as if he was born to play hockey.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I dont think Heiskanens is a Hughes level skater either.

Though inmy little bit of following these guys it does sound like Heiskanens a better skater.

I have more confidence in the first of those statements.
Yeah, Heiskanen is a better skater right now for sure, but he’s also 5 years older. Nemec is a very good skater, and it should improve with time as well as it did with Miro.

Reactions: devilsblood

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Luke is an insane skater, so he’s not a guy someone will easily match but Nemec is a great skater. You shouldn’t have a concern there.

It’s definitely one of his strengths, I really liked Jirecek but ended up on Team Nemec (just barely) because of his skating. It’s one of his biggest strengths.

He’s effortless skater and a real pleasure to watch. His acceleration is particularly good, you’ll notice it live, he catches up to guys very quickly.

Both Hughes and Nemec have the skating to cover up a lot of the mistakes they’ll make as young NHL d-men.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Luke is an insane skater, so he’s not a guy someone will easily match but Nemec is a great skater.
Spot on. I mentioned it earlier, but you expressed it better lol. Luke is such an elite skater that it’s a disservice comparing any prospect to him in that regard. Very, very few match him in regards to skating.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
For shits and giggles I would like to see them play together during the preseason.
It’s gonna happen eventually and it’s going to be glorious.

In all seriousness, it’s not everyday that a team has arguably the 2 best D-men prospects in the league. It’s really exciting in itself.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Does it really matter how he played along the way as opposed to how he finished? He’s a teenager. He will improve and what he did in the past is only important in how it gave him experience to bring him to this point. If my math is right In his last 17 regular season games he had 16 points and in his six playoff games had 4 points and was plus three. I’m too lazy to figure out how his rate increased along the season but I’d suggest he got better as the season went on.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Does it really matter how he played along the way as opposed to how he finished? He’s a teenager. He will improve and what he did in the past is only important in how it gave him experience to bring him to this point. If my math is right In his last 17 regular season games he had 16 points and in his six playoff games had 4 points and was plus three. I’m too lazy to figure out how his rate increased along the season but I’d suggest he got better as the season went on.
I think you want to look at everything, but yeah, good point on him finishing strong. His game log is looking real impressive late in the year. Which very likely points to a guy whose game was improving.

And, while I don't know about PP assists, none of his 6 goals in that stretch were on the PP. So it's not like his point totals got going because he was put on the PP.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
i see a lot of the bloggers saying that Nemec is too inexperienced to trot out with Hughes and Bahl for a full season. Personally I’d say bring it on. If Nemec is good enough to make the team out of camp, he should make the team. Manage his minutes and GP if you want, but i have no problem using those three with Hamilton, Marino, Siegs, and Smith for the season.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
i see a lot of the bloggers saying that Nemec is too inexperienced to trot out with Hughes and Bahl for a full season. Personally I’d say bring it on. If Nemec is good enough to make the team out of camp, he should make the team. Manage his minutes and GP if you want, but i have no problem using those three with Hamilton, Marino, Siegs, and Smith for the season.
That would carry more weight for me if Luke and Nemec were just your typical rookie defensemen instead of two of the best blue line prospects in all of hockey.

Reactions: Blackjack

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’d tend to agree that he at least should get a BIG look. If Nemec doesn’t start the year with us, I’m pretty certain he’ll end it.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I wouldn’t be surprised if he is up to the challenge, but I’d hope Fitz would bring in a decent enough vet that we can plug in if he isn’t ready. He likely plays next year even if we do bring someone in — there will probably be injuries.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wouldn’t be surprised if he is up to the challenge, but I’d hope Fitz would bring in a decent enough vet that we can plug in if he isn’t ready. He likely plays next year even if we do bring someone in — there will probably be injuries.
yeah i guess realistically you need to have someone ready, you can’t start shopping if Nemec looks like he needs more time once October rolls around. I’m just gonna be pissed if another Smith-esque plug plays 60 games just cuz he’s on the roster.

Nemec went from “needs more seasoning” to “top AHL defenseman” in half a season as a rookie teenager. He’s clearly got an elite IQ. I’d he content to let him learn on the fly AS LONG AS he looks ready in training camp.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m thinking Fitz may wait until camp to see if Nemec can make the team as a regular. And if doesn’t , then sang someone off if the waiver wire as teams try to sneak guys down while they think other teams have full rosters and might sneak through waivers .
That way we probably get a cheap contract and or short term player as a stop gap . I’m sure there will be an adequate player to use until Nemec is ready . Which could be mid-season . If he is looking to be a ways from being ready , then a permanent option will be needed . I’m sure Fitz and company are talking with the AHL staff to see how they feel how ready Nemec may be as of right now , and they decide weither or not to get a stop gap now in the off-season or if Nemec is close enough to ready , they wait until camp to evaluate and then go the waiver route or a UFA

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ya, and I think there is the decision to make of, do we take our medicine all at once, ie play the two rookies next year, or have to break in a rookie d-man in back to back years?

I do like the idea of bringing in a good veteran so that Nemec is a high end depth guy playing in Utica, but if they think Nemec is indeed ready to go, then I'm fine with rolling with a bunch of talented young guys on the back end.

I’m thinking Fitz may wait until camp to see if Nemec can make the team as a regular. And if doesn’t , then sang someone off if the waiver wire as teams try to sneak guys down while they think other teams have full rosters and might sneak through waivers .
That way we probably get a cheap contract and or short term player as a stop gap . I’m sure there will be an adequate player to use until Nemec is ready . Which could be mid-season . If he is looking to be a ways from being ready , then a permanent option will be needed . I’m sure Fitz and company are talking with the AHL staff to see how they feel how ready Nemec may be as of right now , and they decide weither or not to get a stop gap now in the off-season or if Nemec is close enough to ready , they wait until camp to evaluate and then go the waiver route or a UFA
But you just won't get a good player that way. At best it's a inexperienced player with some upside, but that's kind of an older, less talented Nemec.

I think you have to make the call early. Is Nemec the guy, or do we go get a quality stop gap.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
How many “stop gap” defensemen who is better than Brendan Smith would be willing to sign here? The situation with Hughes/Nemec is known. Anyone who signs knows they may be out of job by December.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How many “stop gap” defensemen who is better than Brendan Smith would be willing to sign here? The situation with Hughes/Nemec is known. Anyone who signs knows they may be out of job by December.
There have been a couple trade options bandied about.

Though of course you need to give up players to get a one year player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad