Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils Draft Simon Nemec, 2nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Has the game really changed?

For all the flash and speed of the Devils during the regular season, the four teams in the finals all play with a hard edge.
I think the reffing defines the game. If the refs called penalties in the post season or actually had an interest in player safety, the playoffs would be different.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
No we can’t really especially not if we’re expecting Nemec. We have 6 D spots locked up. Room for 1 more (veteran or Nemec). Technically 2 more if we decided to carry 8 D which I doubt and we wouldn’t be able to start Nemec and do that.

Smith will be back next year whether people think he should be or not. Has a year left
I meant 1. My bad for the typo lol. Yes the blueline will be too crowded for 2 UFA's.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

TF1970

May 9, 2021
I would be curious if a poll was put up here the % split of yes or no in regards to if people THINK (not want) Nemec will be in the NHL from the start next season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I would be curious if a poll was put up here the % split of yes or no in regards to if people THINK (not want) Nemec will be in the NHL from the start next season.
Seems most would say no. I'd say no.

Stop gap defensive guy, with Nemec as the next RHD up in Utica.

Reactions: TF1970

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Having watched a little more of him the last month or so, I’d let Nemec play in the NHL.

I think by the time playoffs roll around he’ll be one of our 6 best defenseman. More playing time in the NHL probably benefits his readiness for playoff minutes. I think we’re a good enough team to have some rookie playing time and still make the playoffs, so I’m focusing on what makes the team the best for those playoffs.

I think he’ll break camp with the team, but wouldn’t be surprised if he sees a month or two in the AHL either.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Having watched a little more of him the last month or so, I’d let Nemec play in the NHL.

I think by the time playoffs roll around he’ll be one of our 6 best defenseman. More playing time in the NHL probably benefits his readiness for playoff minutes. I think we’re a good enough team to have some rookie playing time and still make the playoffs, so I’m focusing on what makes the team the best for those playoffs.

I think he’ll break camp with the team, but wouldn’t be surprised if he sees a month or two in the AHL either.
The issue with giving Nemec a spot in the lineup is, we'd likely not have much depth beyond the 6 guys in the lineup.

Smith gives you versatility as the 7th, in that he can play either side, but I don't see that as a optimal situation.

I'd bring in a sold vet bottom pair rhd, then Nemec is the 4th RHD who we can stash in Utica.

That would also keep Dougie, or Nemec, off the PK.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I don't see how we don't give him a shot next season, to be honest. He's at the level where he's not getting much other than repetition at a lower level. To progress he needs to shed the warts in the NHL, get coached by an NHL staff, get schooled by NHL stars, and early in the season should be fine.

Just my two cents, I've been wrong once before.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
How was he today?
Had a fine game apparently. Was a tough game overall for the Slovaks. He led the Slovaks in ice time once again by almost 2 minutes.

He clocked in 10:26 in the 3rd period. Almost 4 minutes more than any other player on his team. Kid can play tough minutes like that efficiently at only 19. That in itself is impressive.

The Slovaks play Kazakhstan at 1:20PM ET tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
One of the Slovak defenders got injured and couldn't play in the third that's why some of Nemec shifts were 2 mins long and because of that he looked gassed.

Defending against Fiala, Hishier Malgin when you are on the ice for so long is rough.

Reactions: Skala24 and My3Sons

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Before WC I was thinking that Nemec would need one more year at Utica. After watching his first two games my opinion have already changed. He plays very big minutes and makes barely mistakes. He will be some day minute monster in NHL who plays 25+ minutes per night if team needs that. His first two games have also been against though opponents Canada and Switzerland.

I remember when Luke played in WC last year and made lot of mistakes so if I compare Simon to Luke so Simon is ahead of what Luke was last year. Of course Simon is not so flashy what Luke is but he plays very mature game. Nemec reminds me lot of Moritz Seider. Can't wait to see how Nemec tournament goes forward. I am so exited about this kid. Next season will be so awesome with Luke on our D and if Nemec can also make the team. Future is bright.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
We have time to let him develop even more in perfect role in Utica. This kid has played so much already in his career.

With the team that is being ice next season in Utica I think they could have a very successful year.

With so much transformation around the Defense in Jersey next year, Luke and Bahl will have the focus of the coaches. If severson and graves in gone there is only X amount of responsibility we need to give to the rookies for our team to still be successful.

Let Nemec get more rounded minutes and maybe play another WJC! Is he eligible to play?

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
One of the Slovak defenders got injured and couldn't play in the third that's why some of Nemec shifts were 2 mins long and because of that he looked gassed.

Defending against Fiala, Hishier Malgin when you are on the ice for so long is rough.
This clears things up for me... there were a few instances when I was wondering why he didn't even attempt to change when the opportunity was there..

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

This clears things up for me... there were a few instances when I was wondering why he didn't even attempt to change when the opportunity was there..
If you’re suggesting he purposely stayed on that’s just not true. He got caught out there. Slovakia dressed 8 defensmen. Even if they hadn’t it wouldn’t make any sense for him to stay out purposely. You’re wayyy better off rotating a few guys quickly than keeping guys out for extended shifts.

He got caught out there, was tired and couldn’t make it to the bench.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Slovakia loses 4-3 to Kazakhstan in the SO. Simon led the Slovak D-men in TOI with over 23 minutes once again. He added 2 shots and was a +1.

The staff is clearly trusting him on the big stage, which is nice for such a young D-man. Feels like he could be a guy playing big minutes for us. Good stuff.

I’ll say it’s a pretty tough situation for him to be in though. No points yet even though he’s creating. 19 years old and being heavily relied upon in the WHC is not an easy task. For reference, last year in his D+1, Luke Hughes logged in about 19:00 of TOI on average per game. Nemec is averaging close to 24:00 per game in the tournament. He’s playing A LOT, and that in itself is a positive, especially in a season where he played a lot of hockey. Use this experience to grow.

These tournaments don’t mean much in the grand scheme of things as we know, but it’s nice to see him get all this trust from his coaching staff. He’s progressing nicely and overall I’d say this is a very successful season for him.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Catching the 3rd period of Slovakia vs. Slovenia. Only a few seconds in, Nemec creates the breakout and then gets a nice scoring chance. Love how simple he plays. Very efficient.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Missed the game but they only got 1-0 W vs Slovenia? Yikes. Norway isn’t going to be easy then and they need a regulation win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad