Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils Draft Simon Nemec, 2nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Ultimately what’s far more important is what the player wants. Even if there’s no development gain, not letting guys go represent their countries when they want is the type of thing that players remember when they’re deciding where to sign down the line.
Agreed. You need to be a good partner with the player. That becomes important when contract time comes around.

Players from outside the organization know how you treat your players too.

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
I was in the car driving the other day listening to NHL radio and there was interesting discussion regarding high level prospects and the World Championships...

essentially what the host (not sure who it was) was saying was that he would never let a top prospect go the World's and risk injury playing against men that much more motivated about the tournament and have much more to play for than a kid.

They drew comparisons to college football prospects not playing in meaningless bowl games ahead of the draft...

It was an interesting conversation even if I don't agree with it.

I personally think a young player should play as much as he can.
I get the mindset of the Host, but I personally believe the experience of playing in high stakes games trumps the possibility of getting injured. Hockey players get hurt playing hockey, just like I apparently get hurt climbing out of my Mustang last week. Shit happens, but if you miss these opportunities, there's no going back in a time machine unless you're tight with Christopher Lloyd.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

1683992994357.gif

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Glad he was able to get over to the worlds now that the devils are done. Seemed important for him.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Translation:

Slovak hockey players will play against Canada with some changes in the lineup. Šimon Nemec, who joined the team on Saturday, will play in the first defence, but the coaches will also make some changes in the offensive lines against the overseas opponent.

Translation:

Šimon Nemec felt good at the first training, he also slept at night, saw a bit of the city. He should play on the first power play and probably also on the first defensive pairing.

Translation:

Šimon Nemec: "I was the leader in Utica for almost the whole season. I believe I can handle the pressure."

Peter Frühauf: "We know about his talent, but he's still a young kid. Putting him in a leadership position would be a commitment for him. We want him to play relaxed and handle offensive situations the way he can."

Good for Simon. He's done very well this year. Get that experience!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Translation:

Translation:

Translation:

Good for Simon. He's done very well this year. Get that experience!

I hope that quote was a bit of garbled translation. That's some big talk for a kid who was not the LEADER in Utica. He was good player and part of defensive corps. He was not their leader. He played sparingly on special teams. If he is handled properly he opens next season in the AHL, irons out some flaws, gets physically stronger, figures out how to win board battles and still be on his feet, and gets better around the net front where he is most ineffective.

I love this kid and know he will be a good one but he is not ready for regular every night play in the NHL. If he isn't a roster player most game nights, he belongs in the AHL where he can continue to master his trade. 7th/8th man in the press box is not how you get a kid with this kind of potential to excel. I don't care about other guys from past seasons on other teams. Comparisons to others who he is not, makes no sense whatsoever. At 19, and he will remain 19 until Feb/19,there is no reason to put him out there if he isn't a top 6 guy right then and now. I don't mean you just put him in the game day lineup, but he has put himself there by his play. NJ is no longer in the business of having to throw guys into the lineup because that's all there is.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I hope that quote was a bit of garbled translation. That's some big talk for a kid who was not the LEADER in Utica. He was good player and part of defensive corps. He was not their leader. He played sparingly on special teams. If he is handled properly he opens next season in the AHL, irons out some flaws, gets physically stronger, figures out how to win board battles and still be on his feet, and gets better around the net front where he is most ineffective.

I love this kid and know he will be a good one but he is not ready for regular every night play in the NHL. If he isn't a roster player most game nights, he belongs in the AHL where he can continue to master his trade. 7th/8th man in the press box is not how you get a kid with this kind of potential to excel. I don't care about other guys from past seasons on other teams. Comparisons to others who he is not, makes no sense whatsoever. At 19, and he will remain 19 until Feb/19,there is no reason to put him out there if he isn't a top 6 guy right then and now. I don't mean you just put him in the game day lineup, but he has put himself there by his play. NJ is no longer in the business of having to throw guys into the lineup because that's all there is.
I just translated the tweets with Google Translator. I’m pretty sure it means something to the effect of “I was one of the leaders/a leader in Utica” or “I had many responsibilities” in Utica. Translations are never 100% accurate with these tools.

Last edited:

TheNeutralZone

Mar 3, 2012
New Jersey
Not sure he'll be Doughty good offensively. Nemec reminds me of rookie Severson, actually. He's mobile, but not elite-level mobile.

If you told me right now we'd get an offensively similar, defensively superior version of Severson, i'd be thrilled. That's absolutely the peak of my expectation.

To make this clear, I did not like the pick when Fitz made it. I didn't think Nemec had the upside on either side of the puck to justify being picked that high.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not sure he'll be Doughty good offensively. Nemec reminds me of rookie Severson, actually. He's mobile, but not elite-level mobile.

If you told me right now we'd get an offensively similar, defensively superior version of Severson, i'd be thrilled. That's absolutely the peak of my expectation.

To make this clear, I did not like the pick when Fitz made it. I didn't think Nemec had the upside on either side of the puck to justify being picked that high.
He lacks Doughty's shot. His build, skating, elusiveness and style offensively certainly reminds me of him.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Nemec led the Slovaks in TOI today. He played 23:21, with 2 SOG and a -1.

Didn’t think the goal was on him at all, he was in front of the winger (#27) on the breakout and tried to go support along the boards, that winger should’ve taken his spot back imo.

Overall, good game from him imo. Playing almost 25 minutes on the international stage as a 19 year old is no joke.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

In a draft that seemingly lacks any sure fire elite players getting a first pairing defender would be an excellent outcome. I think Nemec's passing will be better than Severson as will his decision making.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Looking at the highlights, Nemec seemed to have a strong game. Good first pass, getting pucks through from the point, feeding the puck for one-timers. He looks so poised already as a 19 year old.

He made a sweet pass to send a Slovak player on a breakaway with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd. Should’ve been a penalty shot but it is what it is.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Nemec will be lightyears better offensively than Severson ever was. He might even be better offensively than Severson next season.

He has all the tools to be Doughty level good too, we’ll see whether he puts it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad