Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils Draft Simon Nemec, 2nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Well that's one way to make me cheer for the Canes.

I mean listen, if he gets even a second of NHL playoff hockey then sure, have him stay there. But if you know he's just your bench warmer then let him go to Europe and play some good, hard, international hockey. He'd be our top D with plenty of ice time. Guy's 19, he wants to play hockey, not watch it.
He’s played more than enough hockey this season. He’s probably 8th on the chart right now. Another guy gets hurt and he’s next up. Also a ton of benefit for him in just being around the team and practicing.

According to HockeySlovakia he has already been recalled by New Jersey and will join the Devils immediately. Only will go to WC if the Devils are eliminated
Where did you see this?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He’s played more than enough hockey this season. He’s probably 8th on the chart right now. Another guy gets hurt and he’s next up. Also a ton of benefit for him in just being around the team and practicing.
Ya agree on the bolds.

The unbold is interesting in that he's probably our 4th best RHD? Would be crazy, especially with Luke getting in today, but he probably is.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava

Where did you see this?
I mean there absolutely is a benefit to him just being in an actual NHL team even if he only gets to practice. But the question we should all be asking whether this benefit is higher than the one of having him play a few more competitive hockey matches?

Though I do understand that we ultimately will have opposite view points on this issue - as a fan of Team Slovakia I'd like to see him suit up for our team while you guys are laser focused on your playoff run and any even potential advantage your team can muster.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I mean there absolutely is a benefit to him just being in an actual NHL team even if he only gets to practice. But the question we should all be asking whether this benefit is higher than the one of having him play a few more competitive hockey matches?

Though I do understand that we ultimately will have opposite view points on this issue - as a fan of Team Slovakia I'd like to see him suit up for our team while you guys are laser focused on your playoff run and any even potential advantage your team can muster.
It’s pretty unlikely that he does ever suit up. I’m focused on what is more beneficial to him and I think it’s much more beneficial for him to be around the NHL club then play a few more competitive hockey games in a much less structured environment. There’s very little benefit if any benefit to him joining Slovakia. He’s played more than enough competitive hockey this season and more than enough international hockey over the years. At this point I think rest would be more beneficial than joining them but the opportunity to practice with the devils and be around this playoff run is even better.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
He wants to play at the WC, what a dog **** decision it would be for New Jersey to deny him. Jiricek was allowed to go by CBJ but unfortunately got a knock and will miss it.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Jiricek was allowed to go by CBJ
That might be cause CBJ have been golfing for a month already.

If the Devils dont want to let him go now that the season is over, it can be questioned. But even then, they have the last word. Maybe they want him to have a longer summer training getting ready for what he is being paid to do, being an NHLer.

But any team would be dumb to let any players to go to Worlds if they can be black aces for the NHL club in case of an injury.

• Haha
Reactions: stastny12

Tiredswede

Dec 6, 2016
He wants to play at the WC, what a dog **** decision it would be for New Jersey to deny him. Jiricek was allowed to go by CBJ but unfortunately got a knock and will miss it.
Devils season ended 10 minutes ago, maybe give them an hour before complaining? Columbus season was over in November

Reactions: jcbio11

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
That might be cause CBJ have been golfing for a month already.

If the Devils dont want to let him go now that the season is over, it can be questioned. But even then, they have the last word. Maybe they want him to have a longer summer training getting ready for what he is being paid to do, being an NHLer.

But any team would be dumb to let any players to go to Worlds if they can be black aces for the NHL club in case of an injury.
He’s already been confirmed. His flight to Latvia leaves Saturday

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
Nice to see him get games at the Worlds , at least a player to follow. With the way our season ended and everyone being pretty banged up, can't see many players taking the flight and heading over, well maybe Luke lol

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Šimon Nemec will have his third senior world championship at the age of 19.

"Simon is ready and very excited. Theoretically he could play on Monday against Canada," said Peter Frühauf.

One of the defensemen will probably end up on the roster: 3 - 8 - 14.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was in the car driving the other day listening to NHL radio and there was interesting discussion regarding high level prospects and the World Championships...

essentially what the host (not sure who it was) was saying was that he would never let a top prospect go the World's and risk injury playing against men that much more motivated about the tournament and have much more to play for than a kid.

They drew comparisons to college football prospects not playing in meaningless bowl games ahead of the draft...

It was an interesting conversation even if I don't agree with it.

I personally think a young player should play as much as he can.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I was in the car driving the other day listening to NHL radio and there was interesting discussion regarding high level prospects and the World Championships...

essentially what the host (not sure who it was) was saying was that he would never let a top prospect go the World's and risk injury playing against men that much more motivated about the tournament and have much more to play for than a kid.

They drew comparisons to college football prospects not playing in meaningless bowl games ahead of the draft...

I agree with the host to an extent. I don’t think there’s much benefit developmentally in most cases. And while I think young players should play, they don’t have to olay as much as they can and practice is where the most improvement happens. Especially over the off-season.

But the chances of an injury aren’t that much higher and it’s not a long event or anything that’s gonna be overly harmful. And is often something the players really want to do.

I think the most ideal thing for Nemec’s development and preparedness for next season would be to rest right now for a week or two and then get right to working in the gym and skills on the ice. That’s where players improve the most. Been a long believer in that as it was something I noticed a ton when I was playing. The whole has to play a ton of games thing is overblown.

That being said have no issue with Nemec going. Exciting opportunity for him and not likely harmful.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017

i listened to this but i think the focus was on draft eligible kids - playing before they’ve been drafted or made any money and risking injury that would jeopardize their shot. nemec could get injured sure but he’s already on a team that would provide doctors and rehab and their resources. a junior player or college player could break a leg and not get drafted then be SOL

Reactions: Devs3cups

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think the low chance of injury is an acceptable risk to take in order to give Nemec the additional experience in playoff-atmosphere type games.

Actually, now is the best time to send him. Barring anything catastrophic happening, any injuries he sustains should be fine by the time training camp comes around. Whereas if this tournament were happening in August or September, I would probably say no.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think the low chance of injury is an acceptable risk to take in order to give Nemec the additional experience in playoff-atmosphere type games.

Actually, now is the best time to send him. Barring anything catastrophic happening, any injuries he sustains should be fine by the time training camp comes around. Whereas if this tournament were happening in August or September, I would probably say no.
Sorry but these tournaments don’t even remotely resemble playoff atmosphere. I’d say NHL regular season play is more intense for the most part until you get to the end of the knockout games.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Ultimately what’s far more important is what the player wants. Even if there’s no development gain, not letting guys go represent their countries when they want is the type of thing that players remember when they’re deciding where to sign down the line.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad