Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils Draft Simon Nemec, 2nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Based on the Sanderson contract, who is a comparable prospect to Hughes and Nemec, they will be planning for similar if not a bit higher cap hit given the cap will have raised a bit.

Really love the core of
J Hughes - Hischier - Meier - Nemec - L Hughes moving forward.

Ottawa (soon) Buffalo (soon) New Jersey (now and beyond) and Toronto (now) will be running the East for next 5-7 years.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Based on the Sanderson contract, who is a comparable prospect to Hughes and Nemec, they will be planning for similar if not a bit higher cap hit given the cap will have raised a bit.

Really love the core of
J Hughes - Hischier - Meier - Nemec - L Hughes moving forward.

Ottawa (soon) Buffalo (soon) New Jersey (now and beyond) and Toronto (now) will be running the East for next 5-7 years.
Bratt is also part of that core.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Hopefully he plays more NHL games than AHL games this upcoming season. Looking at U20 or even U21 dman who have played significant games in the AHL in that age season over the past number of years is concerning to say the least.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Hopefully he plays more NHL games than AHL games this upcoming season. Looking at U20 or even U21 dman who have played significant games in the AHL in that age season over the past number of years is concerning to say the least.
Concerning in what sense? That there aren’t many in his company? I think that’s mostly because most top D-men stay in juniors or overseas until they’re older and make the jump straight away, no? Very few D-men make the AHL at 18 and post 0.5 PPG. Nemec posting numbers like that in the AHL in his 18 year old season is very encouraging imo.

Devils have the luxury of not rushing him, I’m pretty sure he won’t play more NHL games than AHL games this season and he’ll most likely make the jump in 2024-2025. That’s fine as far as I’m concerned for a 19 year old D-man. Interested about reading your take on this though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Nemec just had one of the better 18 year old seasons ever for a rookie AHL DMan, I would pump the brakes my dude

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I wouldn't worry about this because the Devils are in a spot that almost no teams drafting top 5 ever are. They have a reasonably strong right side defense and don't need to rush Nemec.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Concerning in what sense? That there aren’t many in his company? I think that’s mostly because most top D-men stay in juniors or overseas until they’re older and make the jump straight away, no? Very few D-men make the AHL at 18 and post 0.5 PPG. Nemec posting numbers like that in the AHL in his 18 year old season is very encouraging imo.

Devils have the luxury of not rushing him, I’m pretty sure he won’t play more NHL games than AHL games this season and he’ll most likely make the jump in 2024-2025. That’s fine as far as I’m concerned for a 19 year old D-man. Interested about reading your take on this though.

I think this is highly unlikely to happen but I'd love to slide him again. I really don't see any issue with him playing another season in the AHL. The 5v5 offense was great but the defense could still use some work. He obviously already knows how to run a PP but he'll also get to run PP1 all year this year. It's also not like him not playing would be concerning because there's minimal competition and not beating that out wouldn't be good. We have one of the best right sides for the top 4 and an above average 3RD in Miller. He's likely the first call up on the right side so he'll get some games but playing another AHL season is not concerning in the slightest. Also here's some guys that played a large majority of an AHL season in their age 19 season; Carlson, Suter, Burns. Edvinsson just did it last year. Seider had a bit of a weird one where he went AHL at 18 then SHL at 19. It's not concerning at all and like you said the reason there's not a lot of good 19 year old AHL comps is that almost everyone else is either in the CHL, Europe, or the NCAA at that point rather than the AHL.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm most concerned with the Devils trying to replicate last seasons success and build upon that but if Nemec plays 9 games or less this year than that could be good for our cap situation in the next few years.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nemec just had one of the better 18 year old seasons ever for a rookie AHL DMan, I would pump the brakes my dude

You know how many 18 year old defensemen in the history of the AHL have played over 50 games?

Don't go crazy looking. The answer is 5...

There has only been 11 to have played over 40 games and only 19 to have played over 10 games.

All of the top 11 are European.

Most 18 year olds don't play in the AHL.

Nemec has the most games played at 65 of any 18 year old defensemen in the AHL.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It was a very good season when you take the whole. It wasn't a season that blows your socks off (last 20ish games were) to the point where if he doesn't make the team it'd be "concerning" because he already proved everything he needed to.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Under normal circumstances sure...these aren't normal circumstances...Most North Americans, either have to stay in junior or they attend college, most European prospects play in their countries system or Pro league.

Nemec had two choices last year play in a rather weak Slovakian league or play in the AHL.. He could've gone to another European league I suppose...but that's why there have only been 11 18 year old Defenders to play any amount of real time in the AHL...most Russians and Swedes opt to play in their country and it's significantly better hockey than Slovakia. That why Slavkovsky went to play in Finland.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If Nemec didn't play a single NHL game this year I wouldn't have anything resembling a concern.... Provided he doesn't poop the bed it Utica.

Don't have to bring him up and play him just to play him. Our worst right handed D is Colin Miller who is a non awful 8 year vet who will likely break 500 games this year. Man was a perfectly cromulent defenseman for a playoff team last year

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'm not really taking into account his contract status as part of where he plays this season. You can find merit in both arguments -- but if they burn an ELC year this year his next contract will be cheaper than if they let the contract slide.
So I think it should be pretty simple If they think he can provide more than Miller as 3RD and/or they think it's better for him to develop in the NHL rather then the A then they should put him in the NHL.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Nemec is a D-man just had an above 0.5 PPG 18-year old/rookie season in the AHL with very good 5v5 numbers and limited PP time after never playing in North America. I'm not sure how that's not a huge positive.

He basically just turned 19. Luke didn't play a single NHL game until the end of his D+2, and he played only a small handful. I see no issue with Nemec taking the same route if it comes to it.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm not really taking into account his contract status as part of where he plays this season. You can find merit in both arguments -- but if they burn an ELC year this year his next contract will be cheaper than if they let the contract slide.
So I think it should be pretty simple If they think he can provide more than Miller as 3RD and/or they think it's better for him to develop in the NHL rather then the A then they should put him in the NHL.

If Miller has to PK then Nemec can’t offer more right away. I don’t see Nemec starting the season in the NHL. (I learned never to never after Mercer though lol.)

An injury will likely get him into the line-up sooner or later this season. Most NHL teams have 8-10 defensemen with GP in the double digits.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Miller has to PK then Nemec can’t offer more right away. I don’t see Nemec starting the season in the NHL. (I learned never to never after Mercer though lol.)

An injury will likely get him into the line-up sooner or later this season. Most NHL teams have 8-10 defensemen with GP in the double digits.

I’m guessing the idea for Foote is to be the first call up so it doesn’t have to be Nemec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad