Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils Draft Simon Nemec, 2nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Are we trying to find a problem where there are no problems? Nemec spent great season in AHL, played pk role and important 5 on 5 role, made mistakes, learned from it, helped with transition. Produced enough for 18 yo defenseman with the team without good centers. If 18 yo players were not too good to play regular role in ahl, its not his problem.
And Fitz doesn't want to rush him. He traded Miller and signed Foote. We have RD depth, we have time and place for Nemec development. Calm down and have fun. Nemec is a top defensive prospect, he will make this team better, one more year wasn't bad for Luke, if it needs to - will not be bad for Nemec.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m guessing the idea for Foote is to be the first call up so it doesn’t have to be Nemec?

Our depth at RHD was bad before we traded Walsh for a forward. After the trade the only RHD we had available for calls up was Nemec. That’s it. That’s not good, Nemec can get injured too.

Foote washed out in Tampa and Nashville, not sure he beats out Nemec. He might if they need the replacement on the PK. Who knows, it depends on when it happens and how they’re both playing.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
If Miller has to PK then Nemec can’t offer more right away. I don’t see Nemec starting the season in the NHL. (I learned never to never after Mercer though lol.)

An injury will likely get him into the line-up sooner or later this season. Most NHL teams have 8-10 defensemen with GP in the double digits.

Yeah unless he blows off the doors it'd be hard for him to start in the NHL without injuries (don't think they'll be carrying 8 dman and it's hard to see them waive one of the vet D right off the bat) but I don't want them to worry about his ELC slide as a justification for not playing him or calling up Foote instead. Which I don't think they will and like you said injuries will probably get him into the double digit mark anyway.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Our depth at RHD was bad before we traded Walsh for a forward. After the trade the only RHD we had available for calls up was Nemec. That’s it. That’s not good, Nemec can get injured too.

Foote washed out in Tampa and Nashville, not sure he beats out Nemec. He might if they need the replacement on the PK. Who knows, it depends on when it happens and how they’re both playing.
Hamilton, Marino, Miller, Smith, Luke Hughes, and Foote can all play the right side. Nemec will only be in the NHL if he proves he’s one of the best 6 D in the org.

But tbh i think he’s gonna prove it by December at the latest. Not sure that means he’ll even play a single NHL game this year, though. I think his development might be better suited spending the year being a monster AHL #1 D, and getting used to the grind where he doesn’t need to worry about getting benched.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nemec is a D-man just had an above 0.5 PPG 18-year old/rookie season in the AHL with very good 5v5 numbers and limited PP time after never playing in North America. I'm not sure how that's not a huge positive.

He basically just turned 19. Luke didn't play a single NHL game until the end of his D+2, and he played only a small handful. I see no issue with Nemec taking the same route if it comes to it.
I'd prefer he get some games in as a 19 year old. He doesn't have to play a full season but I'd like to see him get in around 20 games this year.

I think Luke's situation isn't "really" comparable. I think Luke doing two NCAA years was determined a long time ago...I personally think his path was pretty much etched in stone.

Tons and tons of elite Dmen have began their career at 19. I'd like to see Nemec get at least a handful of games this year.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'd prefer he get some games in as a 19 year old. He doesn't have to play a full season but I'd like to see him get in around 20 games this year.

I think Luke's situation isn't "really" comparable. I think Luke doing two NCAA years was determined a long time ago...I personally think his path was pretty much etched in stone.

Tons and tons of elite Dmen have began their career at 19. I'd like to see Nemec get at least a handful of games this year.
I have no doubt he will play games for various reasons that have already been mentioned. I was just saying that if he doesn’t, then it’s not that big of a deal to me. I think we’re in a position that if he doesn’t play, it doesn’t mean he can’t play at that level. He’s a highly skilled player who would most certainly be able to at least hold his own at the NHL level right now, but we have the luxury to not absolutely need him to.

In the same way that I’m pretty sure that Luke could’ve played well in the NHL for a vast majority of last season. He didn’t, but it doesn’t mean he couldn’t have performed at that level.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Meh...not really a fan. 17 always seemed like a forward number - Sykora, Kovalchuk, Sharangovich.

Just checked and it appears that Nemec would be the first defenseman in franchise history to wear #17.

Was this his number elsewhere?
Just looked it up. His Instagram handle has 17 in it, and it looks like that was his first number with Nitra.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hamilton, Marino, Miller, Smith, Luke Hughes, and Foote can all play the right side. Nemec will only be in the NHL if he proves he’s one of the best 6 D in the org.

But tbh i think he’s gonna prove it by December at the latest. Not sure that means he’ll even play a single NHL game this year, though. I think his development might be better suited spending the year being a monster AHL #1 D, and getting used to the grind where he doesn’t need to worry about getting benched.
Assuming that he does indeed prove he's good enough, he's going to be playing in the NHL this season.

I have little doubt on this, remember Miller was benched in the playoffs last season, Fitz knows this, he brought Miller in to buy some time and provide depth. Just don't see Fitz thinking Miller blocks Nemec all season.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He basically just turned 19. Luke didn't play a single NHL game until the end of his D+2, and he played only a small handful. I see no issue with Nemec taking the same route if it comes to it.
But Luke was playing college, so calling him up midseason wasn't an option. Then factor in his college team played a month longer then most. If his season had ended earlier, he would have gotten more games in NJ.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
But Luke was playing college, so calling him up midseason wasn't an option. Then factor in his college team played a month longer then most. If his season had ended earlier, he would have gotten more games in NJ.
Sure, but I don’t think it changes my point either way.

Luke could’ve played some games earlier and held his own, I’m pretty sure of it. The fact he didn’t play doesn’t mean he couldn’t have succeeded in the NHL level last season. I feel the same with Nemec. We have the luxury to not bring him up if we don’t absolutely need to. I’m pretty sure he could hold his own and be a contributor right now, so in my mind, if he doesn’t, it’s because of the luxury we have.

I don’t know if I’m being clear with what I mean so apologies if not lol.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sure, but I don’t think it changes my point either way.

Luke could’ve played some games earlier and held his own, I’m pretty sure of it. The fact he didn’t play doesn’t mean he couldn’t have succeeded in the NHL level last season. I feel the same with Nemec. We have the luxury to not bring him up if we don’t absolutely need to. I’m pretty sure he could hold his own and be a contributor right now, so in my mind, if he doesn’t, it’s because of the luxury we have.

I don’t know if I’m being clear with what I mean so apologies if not lol.
I think I get you.

I just think that if they had the option to play Luke more last year they would have. And given they have that option with Nemec, I expect, if he is better then Miller, then he will be in the lineup down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I don't think they stick with a lesser player in Miller just because they have that option. (though I do think Nemec starts the season in the AHL, even if he does look to be better, because, as you say, they have that luxury).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm very split on what to root for with Nemec this season. Would be great for him to play so well that he grabs a top 6 spot...but if he gets another season in the AHL and his contract slides (as long as he plays less than 10 games this season), having him on his ELC through the 2026-2027 season could be massive for cap purposes. Would obviously suck for Nemec though, as that's one less season of making big money in his career.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think I get you.

I just think that if they had the option to play Luke more last year they would have. And given they have that option with Nemec, I expect, if he is better then Miller, then he will be in the lineup down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I don't think they stick with a lesser player in Miller just because they have that option. (though I do think Nemec starts the season in the AHL, even if he does look to be better, because, as you say, they have that luxury).
Yeah, I agree. Ultimately, my point was that, I have no issue with Nemec playing a big chunk of the season in the AHL and joining the team at the end of the season. In my mind, if that’s how it goes, it’s not because Nemec can’t play at that level, it’s merely because of our options. Luke started at the end of his D+2, if that’s what happens with Simon that’s fine and not an indication of his abilities as far as I’m concerned, it’s because we can use that to our advantage. We don’t have a glaring hole at RD right now.

I'm very split on what to root for with Nemec this season. Would be great for him to play so well that he grabs a top 6 spot...but if he gets another season in the AHL and his contract slides (as long as he plays less than 10 games this season), having him on his ELC through the 2026-2027 season could be massive for cap purposes. Would obviously suck for Nemec though, as that's one less season of making big money in his career.
Yeah, but it’s the same path that Luke had, so I’d be sort of fine with it and it has to be easier to stomach when another top guy had the “same” path.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can’t root for a full season in the AHL. That to me suggests less then hoped for progression.

And I can’t see the team keeping him in the AHL if he is really good.

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I agree. Ultimately, my point was that, I have no issue with Nemec playing a big chunk of the season in the AHL and joining the team at the end of the season. In my mind, if that’s how it goes, it’s not because Nemec can’t play at that level, it’s merely because of our options. Luke started at the end of his D+2, if that’s what happens with Simon that’s fine and not an indication of his abilities as far as I’m concerned, it’s because we can use that to our advantage. We don’t have a glaring hole at RD right now.
ya we are pretty much on the same page. I do want him to start in the AHL. Seems i think we will see him in NJ earlier then you do, Jan or Feb imo, but general idea seems pretty similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad