Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
FWIW:

@MatthewWGR

So this surprised me: Heard through the grapevine the Sabres haven't yet talked to Jason Boterill about open GM position. Working on more

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Don't necessarily buy this since JB and PLF were both in Roch when the Amerks played WSB.

They likely had "informal" talks. If he is the lead candidate they will likely save him for last.

As for the guy from Phoenix, my feeling is they could wait until PHX road trips it to the northeast in mid decemeber.

It would have made sense for Lafontaine to travel down to Nashville before thanksgiving and likely interview the guys from Nashville and Phoenix since Phoenix was playing there last week on Monday.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It's just Internet bloggers getting impatient and grasping for straws

I don't think Nolan's reputation is scaring away potential GMs, but I do think his existence is. Most GMs like to have their own guy, and if keeping Nolan becomes a sticking point, that could turn away some interested parties.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
I don't think Nolan's reputation is scaring away potential GMs, but I do think his existence is. Most GMs like to have their own guy, and if keeping Nolan becomes a sticking point, that could turn away some interested parties.

I definitely think its going to be a huge piece of who the GM is

Ive never bought from day 1 that the new GM will be open to hiring his own coach. Nolan is Lafontaines guy AND the backlash towards the new GM if he lets him go will reach epic levels.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Ive never bought from day 1 that the new GM will be open to hiring his own coach. Nolan is Lafontaines guy AND the backlash towards the new GM if he lets him go will reach epic levels.

Besides the fact that Patty already stated the GM will pick his own coach. If this was the case Patty wouldnt have given him the interim label

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

If they care about the backlash of not hiring Ted Nolan as the permanent coach then they have no chance to be successful anyhow. Nolan is here because LaFontaine has a good relationship with him and trusts him to stress positive things throughout this trainwreck season. I'm not saying there's no chance he'll be named permanent coach but I don't believe for a second that the job is his in all but name only.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Sigh. Coller's one of the smartest people at that station.

A) Being smart doesn't mean one has sources. He doesn't.
B) Being one of the smartest people at that station isn't some grandiose feat (not that he is, anyways).
C) Taking advance stats out of context doesn't make one smart.
D) Much like the rest of his uninformed WGR cronies, he's a hack.

Despite Hamilton's shortcomings as a writer and broadcaster, he is far and away the most educated hockey mind at that station and I'm willing to bet the only WGR employee with actual sources within the organization.

"Through the grapevine." Spare me, Coller.

Last edited:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Besides the fact that Patty already stated the GM will pick his own coach. If this was the case Patty wouldnt have given him the interim label

This. Nolan was brought in because Rolston was hot garbage and they at the very least wanted more effort out of the players along with the development of the youth. I don't think him being here has much effect at all on the potential gm candidates.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
A) Being smart doesn't mean one has sources. He doesn't.
B) Being one of the smartest people at that station isn't some grandiose feat (not that he is, anyways).
C) Taking advance stats out of context doesn't make one smart.
D) Much like the rest of his uninformed WGR cronies, he's a hack.

Despite Hamilton's shortcomings as a writer and broadcaster, he is far and away the most educated hockey mind at that station and I'm willing to bet the only WGR employee with actual sources within the organization.

"Through the grapevine." Spare me, Coller.

If I recall correctly.. Coller had the news first of Kaleta being sent down.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If they care about the backlash of not hiring Ted Nolan as the permanent coach then they have no chance to be successful anyhow. Nolan is here because LaFontaine has a good relationship with him and trusts him to stress positive things throughout this trainwreck season. I'm not saying there's no chance he'll be named permanent coach but I don't believe for a second that the job is his in all but name only.

The question though is why would Nolan take the gig if he thought Lucy was going to pull the ball away. He's been selective in taking jobs before, I can't imagine he would agree to take over unless he believed from his conversations with LaFontaine that he would be around for a considerable amount of time. I'm sure LaFontaine is going to let the new GM make a decision, but I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses a GM he believes would keep Nolan around, making the "GM can bring his own coach in" point moot.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
no potential GM in his right mind will turn down an offer to GM 1 of 30 NHL teams regardless of who the coach is or will be. It's not like there are many job openings every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad