Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The question though is why would Nolan take the gig if he thought Lucy was going to pull the ball away. He's been selective in taking jobs before, I can't imagine he would agree to take over unless he believed from his conversations with LaFontaine that he would be around for a considerable amount of time. I'm sure LaFontaine is going to let the new GM make a decision, but I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses a GM he believes would keep Nolan around, making the "GM can bring his own coach in" point moot.

He was clearly very excited to be back in the NHL and appeared to have thought it was something that might not have ever happened again. He probably took the job because he's LaFontaine's friend and they have mutual trust. I'm not reading much into anything at this point. I think he'll get his chance to interview for the job in the offseason and that'll be that.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
no potential GM in his right mind will turn down an offer to GM 1 of 30 NHL teams regardless of who the coach is or will be. It's not like there are many job openings every year.

and better than that. One with an owner willing to spend to the cap, eat mistakes for $'s, and a roster that is almost a blank slate with a lot of assets to move or hold. That has got to be about the best situation to be coming into that I can imagine.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
If I recall correctly.. Coller had the news first of Kaleta being sent down.

No, he didn't. No reporter broke that news. The Sabres had a press release announcing it. Coller didn't even beat Elliotte Friedman to the punch in retweeting it.

That moron once said that Zemgus Girgensons should be the Sabres' top-line center. I'm not making that up.

He's a terrible "reporter" with an affinity for bashing Cody Hodgson. His assessments of players are rooted in advanced statistics without additional context. Like his TBN counterpart Mike Harrington, he doesn't know the game nearly as much as he thinks he does.

This is a discussion for another thread, though.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
People are getting far too worked up about Coller. He probably heard it through his AHL sources like Kevin O or one of the other beat writers. No need to get your dander up.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
People are getting far too worked up about Coller. He probably heard it through his AHL sources like Kevin O or one of the other beat writers. No need to get your dander up.

Probably. But I don't leave a stone unturned when it comes to denouncing Coller's knowledge of the game or abilities as a reporter. :laugh:

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I've thought from day one of Patty n Nolan, that there is mutual respect, and Nolan's coaching style what was needed "right now." He's been out of the NHL for awhile and I think this interim gig "could" give him a little credibility back. It's a win-win for everybody. Nolan was given off from day one about his Latvian coaching duties at the end of the year. I think there is almost zero chance he is coach next year, and he was told that from day one, new gm's decision, again, patty is doing Nolan a favor.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No, he didn't. No reporter broke that news. The Sabres had a press release announcing it. Coller didn't even beat Elliotte Friedman to the punch in retweeting it.

That moron once said that Zemgus Girgensons should be the Sabres' top-line center. I'm not making that up.

He's a terrible "reporter" with an affinity for bashing Cody Hodgson. His assessments of players are rooted in advanced statistics without additional context. Like his TBN counterpart Mike Harrington, he doesn't know the game nearly as much as he thinks he does.

Actually I went back and checked and it was Jeremy White who called it first...in my newsfeed anyways.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Actually I went back and checked and it was Jeremy White who called it first...in my newsfeed anyways.

White is another guy that I can't sta....eh, let's just save it for another time. :laugh:

(Last post wasn't meant to sound condescending toward you, by the way. WGR wannabes just rub me the wrong way.)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

He went as far as saying if Colorado offered the #1 pick straight up for Girgensons that he would decline it.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
He went as far as saying if Colorado offered the #1 pick straight up for Girgensons that he would decline it.

Case in point.

---

Anyone hear if LaFontaine actually ever reached out to Claude Loiselle? Or was his name speculatively added to his shortlist?

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
White is another guy that I can't sta....eh, let's just save it for another time. :laugh:

(Last post wasn't meant to sound condescending toward you, by the way. WGR wannabes just rub me the wrong way.)

I share your sentiments 100%, especially re: White and Coller.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
9. The Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch confirmed the Hotstove Tonight report that Senators assistant GM Tim Murray will get an interview with Buffalo Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine about the GM vacancy. Despite this season's struggles, there's a lot to like about Ottawa's building process. There is a method to LaFontaine's expanding interview list -- a form of industrial espionage. What he's realized is you should interview as many people as possible to get all the ideas/thoughts about philosophies you can steal. It's a common practice in sports.

10. If there's one concern raised by potential candidates, it's that LaFontaine keeps putting people in place. He hired Kevin Prendergast to take a look at the team's scouting operation. And replacing Ted Nolan - hugely popular in Buffalo - is not an easy first move, should that be the new GM's wish.

Good news Bad news kind of update.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The thing I like about Murray is he is a no nonsense kind of guy. I would approve of him being our guy. He is a hockey guy

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

That's the day I stopped taking him seriously. He's ridiculously smug and annoying. And I've never heard him once actually break down a hockey play. Everything is stats recited from a website.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
9. The Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch confirmed the Hotstove Tonight report that Senators assistant GM Tim Murray will get an interview with Buffalo Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine about the GM vacancy. Despite this season's struggles, there's a lot to like about Ottawa's building process. There is a method to LaFontaine's expanding interview list -- a form of industrial espionage. What he's realized is you should interview as many people as possible to get all the ideas/thoughts about philosophies you can steal. It's a common practice in sports.

10. If there's one concern raised by potential candidates, it's that LaFontaine keeps putting people in place. He hired Kevin Prendergast to take a look at the team's scouting operation. And replacing Ted Nolan - hugely popular in Buffalo - is not an easy first move, should that be the new GM's wish.

Good news Bad news kind of update.

That's a tough spot for a new GM--likely one with no track record of success as a GM--to be in. We all know there are some people who'll forever hold not hiring Nolan against the new GM. It's certainly a delicate situation.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
With Kekalinen being hired a day later by the Blue Jackets as their GM, I am surprised it has taken this long. I am not arguing that we are not doing the right thing by interviewing but that I am surprised we a few days shy of going a month without a new GM.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
With Kekalinen being hired a day later by the Blue Jackets as their GM, I am surprised it has taken this long. I am not arguing that we are not doing the right thing by interviewing but that I am surprised we a few days shy of going a month without a new GM.

Part of me kind of wished we fired Darcy and Promoted Lindy to GM. I'm not sure if he would have done it without being a GM/Coach but I would have liked to see him in the drivers seat with a new coach behind the bench. Oh well.

Kekalinen is pretty great, I could really care less about the Blue Jackets as a team but since they're 1 of 30 teams in the league, and especially one of the newer ones, it's nice to see them have a shot at legitimacy with this guy. It's kind of like the opposite of when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg and fired Dudley, they went from irrelevant, but with promise, to a irrelevant, wtf? Organizational forward progress is exciting, good for Columbus!

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

That's not quite an analogous situation, though. John Davidson had been brought in as president of hockey operations three and a half months before Kekalainen got hired. Furthermore, Davidson had previously spent six years as the president of hockey operations for the Blues and presumably knew Kekalainen was the guy he wanted to bring in (since Kekalainen had previously been assistant GM and director of amateur scouting for the Blues)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I really don't see not hiring Nolan as anything difficult for a new GM. Nolan will finish the year, then go off to coach Latvia. The new GM can then conduct a full and exhaustive search for the coach he wants going forward. Hell, he could start thinking and poking around soon as he is hired.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Eh, if Nolan can turn this team around a little bit, then I say let the new GM give him an honest chance for the permanent HC position. Doesn't mean they need to just give it to him like DR did with RR. If a GM feels he deserves it more than the other candidates interviewed, than give it to him, so long as they actually interview other worthy candidates.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
I really don't see not hiring Nolan as anything difficult for a new GM. Nolan will finish the year, then go off to coach Latvia. The new GM can then conduct a full and exhaustive search for the coach he wants going forward. Hell, he could start thinking and poking around soon as he is hired.

I agree with this assessment. After the year ends, the GM opens a coaching search where all candidates, including Nolan, will be allowed to interview. The best one gets selected, period, be it Nolan or someone else. I don't think it needs to be any more complicated than that.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I can't stand White either.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
There is a method to LaFontaine's expanding interview list -- a form of industrial espionage. What he's realized is you should interview as many people as possible to get all the ideas/thoughts about philosophies you can steal. It's a common practice in sports.

Which is also what Pat said when he first was introduced as PHO: that he intended to talk to a lot of people for their thoughts, recommendations, etc. on his list of candidates. I'm sure that's why his initial list has reportedly grown to include names he may not have been familiar with or thought of before.

If there's one concern raised by potential candidates, it's that LaFontaine keeps putting people in place. He hired Kevin Prendergast to take a look at the team's scouting operation. And replacing Ted Nolan - hugely popular in Buffalo - is not an easy first move, should that be the new GM's wish.

Pat hiring Prendergast is nothing more than bringing in a fresh new voice/mind on the scouting staff - which, considering everyone else on the existing scouting staff hired by Regier was retained, should hardly be seen as intimidating by outsiders looking at the GM position. Personally, if Pat learns of some other highly-touted scouts from other organizations that he'd like to add to the hockey dept., I'm all for mixing it up rather than staying with Devine's team as 100% status quo. And the new GM's authority shouldn't be seen as being undermined by Pat hiring staff when he's the President of the Hockey Operations.

As for Nolan, we've already heard enough in the reports at the time of the hire that the new GM will be free to make his coaching choice but that with the looming UFAs and trade deadline coming, it seems logical to me that the new GM's first decisions won't involve the coaching situation. He'll be addressing the roster and personnel first IMO.

That's a tough spot for a new GM--likely one with no track record of success as a GM--to be in. We all know there are some people who'll forever hold not hiring Nolan against the new GM. It's certainly a delicate situation.

Rewind to 1997, when Regier was hired as rookie GM and crucified for the Nolan decision.

That's not quite an analogous situation, though. John Davidson had been brought in as president of hockey operations three and a half months before Kekalainen got hired. Furthermore, Davidson had previously spent six years as the president of hockey operations for the Blues and presumably knew Kekalainen was the guy he wanted to bring in (since Kekalainen had previously been assistant GM and director of amateur scouting for the Blues)

Exactly - Davidson's familiarity and history working with Kekalainen in the past was clearly the impetus for his quick hire in Columbus. It's no different than LaFontaine's history/familiarity with Nolan being behind his quick choice as coach once Pat accepted the PHO position.

Eh, if Nolan can turn this team around a little bit, then I say let the new GM give him an honest chance for the permanent HC position. Doesn't mean they need to just give it to him like DR did with RR. If a GM feels he deserves it more than the other candidates interviewed, than give it to him, so long as they actually interview other worthy candidates.

Agreed - the new GM, along with Pat and Nolan, have to all get comfortable first in reassuring themselves they're on the same page. I don't see why Nolan wouldn't be given the season to prove he's the right guy. And, even if the new GM offers Nolan a longer-term new contract, it hardly locks him in or prevents him being fired before it ends if the fit no longer is there in a year or after because Nolan's no longer getting through.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
It's a stupid requirement to be honest and I hope it's not one that prevents them from hiring someone with potential.

There are a lot of guys out there with championship team experience that would make worse GMs than some posters on these boards. And the amount of available guys who have championship team experience in today's NHL is very limited as only a handful of teams have won since the game has changed.

I agree, just because a guy has a stanley cup, it doesn't mean he is brilliant or necessarily knows how to make the Sabres a cup contender.

What if Pat's reference included a candidate's experience not as a GM who won Cups but also as a player? Despite his rings as a player, Shanahan's name being tossed around by some media speculation may not make sense because he's had limited managerial experience and none with managing an NHL team - but I read a report that said Joe Nieuwendyk's name was possibly in the mix. Considering that he was a GM for 4 years (with mixed results in Dallas, albeit with unstable ownership) and won Cups with 3 different organizations that all had successful people to learn from (Fletcher in Calgary when he played and in Toronto as an assistant GM; Hitchcock / Gainey in Dallas; Lemaire/Lamoriello in New Jersey) - and, while never a teammate of Pat's, he played at the same time more or less as LaFontaine. He's someone I could see being considered under the collaborative, "there is no emperor" decision-making model that Pat and Pegula spoke about at the initial PC. FWIW, Nieuwendyk is also young enough to be viable choice for next 5+ years yet not as young as someone like Botteril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad