Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Retweet
Favorite

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 5m

@FriedgeHNIC says #Sens assistant GM Tim Murray may get an interview for GM's job in Buffalo

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Retweet
Favorite

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 5m

@FriedgeHNIC says #Sens assistant GM Tim Murray may get an interview for GM's job in Buffalo

So this is quickly moving toward interviewing all assistant GMs. I'd rather them go to that extreme than the "pick the first guy you like" extreme.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I absolutely love how the Coyotes are put together and wanted to poach Maloney/Tippett had their ownership situation went south. Their AGM might have to do.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Every time I see his name I read it as Trevelyan, and then wonder why we want Sean Bean for GM.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Anyone even have any knowledge or opinion on this guy? Treliving?
He, Maloney and Tippet are all very big on advanced stats and player usage. Phoenix is arguably one of the best teams as far as getting the most out of players and assessing value. He's an interesting guy for sure but he may be a guy who works better with small market budgets and you can't ignore that Dave Tippet works very closely with Maloney in determining the perfect players for their system. I wonder if he has a coach in mind to form his own partnership like his current GM and coach have.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Anyone even have any knowledge or opinion on this guy? Treliving?

I'm a little puzzled at how LaFontaine came to consider him - IF he is going to - since Treliving doesn't have a Cup on his resume. He's also 44, which would make him younger than both Nolan and LaFontaine (just like Botteril). I'm all for getting a GM that will be in place for several years but, despite 7 years as AGM under Maloney, it sounds like he's too green.

Is he related to GM Bryan Murray? :p:

So this is quickly moving toward interviewing all assistant GMs. I'd rather them go to that extreme than the "pick the first guy you like" extreme.

I'm glad Patty is taking his time but I do hope he's sticking with his original goal of finding someone who has experience building a championship team....

I absolutely love how the Coyotes are put together and wanted to poach Maloney/Tippett had their ownership situation went south. Their AGM might have to do.

...which Treliving doesn't.

FWIW, here's an interesting article by Pierre LeBrun from February of current assistant GMs he thinks are ready to take the next step - obviously, Nill has already graduated:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22084/assistant-gms-ready-to-take-next-step

Another column by Kevin Allen with a longer list of potential GMs (written in March):

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...-15/nhl-general-manager-candidates/53562872/1

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm glad Patty is taking his time but I do hope he's sticking with his original goal of finding someone who has experience building a championship team....
It's a stupid requirement to be honest and I hope it's not one that prevents them from hiring someone with potential.

There are a lot of guys out there with championship team experience that would make worse GMs than some posters on these boards. And the amount of available guys who have championship team experience in today's NHL is very limited as only a handful of teams have won since the game has changed.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It's a stupid requirement to be honest and I hope it's not one that prevents them from hiring someone with potential.

There are a lot of guys out there with championship team experience that would make worse GMs than some posters on these boards. And the amount of available guys who have championship team experience in today's NHL is very limited as only a handful of teams have won since the game has changed.

I agree, just because a guy has a stanley cup, it doesn't mean he is brilliant or necessarily knows how to make the Sabres a cup contender.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm a little puzzled at how LaFontaine came to consider him - IF he is going to - since Treliving doesn't have a Cup on his resume. He's also 44, which would make him younger than both Nolan and LaFontaine (just like Botteril). I'm all for getting a GM that will be in place for several years but, despite 7 years as AGM under Maloney, it sounds like he's too green.

Let's not get hyper-literal. So what if Treliving doesn't have a Cup on his resume? Should we hire Botterill because the Pens won a Cup 10 months after he was hired with players who were already on the roster when he was hired? Does anyone really think he had his fingerprints on that team? Is Benning a better candidate because he was an AGM of a Cup winner even though he had no hand in signing Chara or Thomas, or drafting Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, or Krejci--the core of that Bruins team? Both guys have their other merits, but let's not get myopic with this "Cup on the resume" crap.

Tippett is one of the best coaches in the league, and he has lofty praise for Treliving:

"Crazy work ethic," Tippett said of the Coyotes assistant GM. "His commitment to doing the job right is phenomenal. Sometimes you just scratch your head and say, 'Brad, take a break here.' He’s all-in all the time."

Treliving is a former player who joined the Coyotes after serving as president of the Central Hockey League. He has a great eye for talent at the amateur level and in filling out the Coyotes' roster.

"You look at our situation and the budgets we were dealing with, it's hard to make mistakes," Tippett said. "A guy like [Rob] Klinkhammer is a great example. [Treliving] sniffed this guy out and said this guy would be a great fit for how we play, and he's been great for us."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=515&refresh=true

Great work ethic and an ability to find talent where others don't are two characteristics I want in our future GM.

...which Treliving doesn't.

I hope they aren't tethering themselves to Lafontaine's statement, and arbitrarily disqualifying what may otherwise be very good candidates. Neither Shero nor Chiarelli had Cups on their resume prior to taking the helm of their current clubs, and they turned out just fine.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Let's not get hyper-literal. So what if Treliving doesn't have a Cup on his resume? Should we hire Botterill because the Pens won a Cup 10 months after he was hired with players who were already on the roster when he was hired? Does anyone really think he had his fingerprints on that team? Is Benning a better candidate because he was an AGM of a Cup winner even though he had no hand in signing Chara or Thomas, or drafting Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, or Krejci--the core of that Bruins team? Both guys have their other merits, but let's not get myopic with this "Cup on the resume" crap.

Tippett is one of the best coaches in the league, and he has lofty praise for Treliving:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=515&refresh=true

Great work ethic and an ability to find talent where others don't are two characteristics I want in our future GM.

I hope they aren't tethering themselves to Lafontaine's statement, and arbitrarily disqualifying what may otherwise be very good candidates. Neither Shero nor Chiarelli had Cups on their resume prior to taking the helm of their current clubs, and they turned out just fine.

I think the "Stanley Cup" quote has been overblown.

From what I remember...it was "Cups" and was in reference to a wildcard candidate which is why the Messier rumors started floating.

I don't think a Stanley Cup on the resume will be a requirement.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
From total left field.....

What about waiting for summer and offering the father - son a complete control gig. Again, total left field, hard to imagine, under contract, etc.....but.....

Stan Bowman graduated from CHS...that's Canisius High School, unless its been totally recent, Papa Bowman lives in the Buffalo area.....

What about giving them complete control of the Sabres? Cups? Ummm? Ties to area? Yep? You'd have to pry him out of Chicago but stranger things happen.....

Stan's around 40, won Cups, from the area....would he be worth the Isl's 1st round pick? Is that outside the box with the pick? Crazy......

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
From total left field.....

What about waiting for summer and offering the father - son a complete control gig. Again, total left field, hard to imagine, under contract, etc.....but.....

Stan Bowman graduated from CHS...that's Canisius High School, unless its been totally recent, Papa Bowman lives in the Buffalo area.....

What about giving them complete control of the Sabres? Cups? Ummm? Ties to area? Yep? You'd have to pry him out of Chicago but stranger things happen.....

Stan's around 40, won Cups, from the area....would he be worth the Isl's 1st round pick? Is that outside the box with the pick? Crazy......

Why leave Chicago?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
LaFontaine never stated Stanley Cups (or even one) as a requirement. He said they were looking at guys with Stanley Cups and I believe that they preferred it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 38s

Confirmed Sabres have received permission to speak to Sens AGM Tim Murray about GM job. Not sure when those talks will take place.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 14m

Talk amongst NHL executives I spoke with today is the Sabres have expanded their list. #Sens #NHL

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 38s

Confirmed Sabres have received permission to speak to Sens AGM Tim Murray about GM job. Not sure when those talks will take place.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 14m

Talk amongst NHL executives I spoke with today is the Sabres have expanded their list. #Sens #NHL

I wonder if Patty's "short list" was expanded because he was not all that impressed with his short-list candidates, or many teams were calling to put their AGM's name in the hat. Probably the latter.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I wonder if Patty's "short list" was expanded because he was not all that impressed with his short-list candidates, or many teams were calling to put their AGM's name in the hat. Probably the latter.
We Major.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

Or the candidates on the short list weren't that interested in the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad