Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Just found this and thought I would share, it adds some names but I definitley like who is listed as #1

Craig Custance of ESPN: Ranking Sabres GM candidates: 1. Claude Loiselle 2. Jason Botterill 3. Laurence Gilman 4. Brad Treliving 5. Paul Fenton Wild Card: Bill Zito.

Not as credible though considering it was posted over a week ago

If Botterill lands the Sabres GM role, can you see Miller going to Pittsburgh
for MAF and their first? PLUS?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If Botterill lands the Sabres GM role, can you see Miller going to Pittsburgh
for MAF and their first? PLUS?

1) How does Botterill becoming the Sabres GM somehow translate to Miller going to Pittsburgh?
2) If you think Miller is worth MAF, a first and possibly more, I want what you're smoking.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Soon, hearing between now and the draft.

I love Patty, but if they don't have a GM by the trade deadline, he needs to be fired. ;)

I am happy they are doing an exhaustive search to ensure no stone is left unturned for the best candidate, but what could they possibly be waiting for? Are they trying to get permission to talk with someone that's not currently available? Could they be asking to acquire a current GM via trade? Trying to talk Gretzky or Messier into taking the job? The usual AGM candidates should have been interviewed and evaluated by now.

EDIT: He's having a hard time finding a GM candidate that will keep Nolan as the coach. :sarcasm:

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I love Patty, but if they don't have a GM by the trade deadline, he needs to be fired. ;)

I am happy they are doing an exhaustive search to ensure no stone is left unturned for the best candidate, but what could they possibly be waiting for? Are they trying to get permission to talk with someone that's not currently available? Could they be asking to acquire a current GM via trade? Trying to talk Gretzky or Messier into taking the job? The usual AGM candidates should have been interviewed and evaluated by now.

EDIT: He's having a hard time finding a GM candidate that will keep Nolan as the coach. :sarcasm:

I expect the coach will be hired sometime next month. If they hire Messier or Gretzky I will kill myself, especially Messier.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
When businesses hire new upper level executives they sometimes have year-long search committees finding the best candidate.

A few weeks is not long at all...

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
When businesses hire new upper level executives they sometimes have year-long search committees finding the best candidate.

A few weeks is not long at all...

Those businesses have thousands of candidates among hundreds or more companies if they are looking nationally. Unless they are scouring Europe and Juniors for options, there are only 30 NHL teams and their AHL teams to consider. And if Patty sticks to his qualifications for the position there are only a few guys that meet his criteria for an experienced person that knows the talent available in both the NHL and draft eligible.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I don't think Pat LaFontaine cares that a few fans are a little too impatient for the right selection to be made.

When Darcy chose Rolston to be his coach, fans hated him for taking the easy way out. Now that LaFontaine is conducting an "exhaustive" search, fans are too impatient to see it through.

And it's hardly an "exhaustive" search. It's been, what, two weeks? Seems pretty standard to me.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't think Pat LaFontaine cares that a few fans are a little too impatient for the right selection to be made.

When Darcy chose Rolston to be his coach, fans hated him for taking the easy way out. Now that LaFontaine is conducting an "exhaustive" search, fans are too impatient to see it through.

And it's hardly an "exhaustive" search. It's been, what, two weeks? Seems pretty standard to me.

I don't see much complaining from anyone. Some people are a bit anxious to find out who it is going to be. If anyone really is complaining, I doubt they're the same people who complained about Darcy not doing a proper coaching search.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
I think the biggest decision LaFontaine has to make is whether or not he really wants to be the GM (in the near future).

If he intends to get some experience and be the GM in the future, he'll likely hire someone older with full GM experience.

If he doesn't intend to be GM in the near future, he'll likely hire someone younger with Assistant GM experience

I think which side of, let's say 57 years old, the hire is will say something about Pat's intentions.

Heck, I wouldn't even be shocked if the announcement was that LaFontaine feels really comfortable working with Devine and feels ready to step into the role himself. I think Patty is his own dark horse candidate (though I still consider it unlikely).

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I expect the coach will be hired sometime next month. If they hire Messier or Gretzky I will kill myself, especially Messier.

I feel the same. I think it will happen before the New Year. Gretzky or Messier would leave me scratching my head but I guess they would have a clean slate to prove themself.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Don't know if this was mentioned, but NHL Network said LaFontaine had been talking to Cam Neely for advice prior to being hired.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I have an awful feeling that Benning will be the new GM... not that I wouldn't give the guy the chance, he's not my first, nor second, nor third or even fifth choice. However something leads me to believe that it will be Benning due to how much LaFontaine respects and trusts Neely.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
From 30 thoughts

14. Add Brad Treliving of the Phoenix Coyotes to the list of Pat LaFontaine's interviewees for the GM's job in Buffalo. There is still no firm confirmation of permission to talk to Rick Dudley. But one thing you can be sure of, Dudley will try to keep it quiet. He's very old-school and does not want to be perceived as lobbying for the job.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I have an awful feeling that Benning will be the new GM... not that I wouldn't give the guy the chance, he's not my first, nor second, nor third or even fifth choice. However something leads me to believe that it will be Benning due to how much LaFontaine respects and trusts Neely.

And you base that off of what, one report about LaFontaine having conversations with Neely? For all we know he did that with 20 different people.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
And you base that off of what, one report about LaFontaine having conversations with Neely? For all we know he did that with 20 different people.
It's my opinion and my gut feeling since that article that Benning was already determined especially if he holds Neely in such high reguards. I hope that it's Botteril.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
Just guessing cause I don't know diddly....but I bet Duds comes to Hockey Heaven if he gets the Patty position but prefers second fiddle Montreal over being second fiddle in Buffalo. His loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad