Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just guessing cause I don't know diddly....but I bet Duds comes to Hockey Heaven if he gets the Patty position but prefers Montreal over being second fiddle. His loss.

Duds likes scouting. Check that... Duds LOVES scouting. He gets to keep a hand in doing something he loves and be the right hand man there... and gets paid well for it. I don't think it has anything to do with him wanting LaFontaine's job, this is the Habs paying to keep Dudley's expertise.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Just guessing cause I don't know diddly....but I bet Duds comes to Hockey Heaven if he gets the Patty position but prefers second fiddle Montreal over being second fiddle in Buffalo. His loss.

I think it's more him being able to scout. As GM he wouldn't do as much scouting. Now if he was asked to replace Kevin Devine, then I think he takes THAT job.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Not at all disappointed it won't be Dudley.

Likewise.

This organization has been way too inbred for most of its existence.

We don't need more ex-Sabres in the organization in my opinion, even if Dudley is doing a fine job in Montreal.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Duds likes scouting. Check that... Duds LOVES scouting. He gets to keep a hand in doing something he loves and be the right hand man there... and gets paid well for it. I don't think it has anything to do with him wanting LaFontaine's job, this is the Habs paying to keep Dudley's expertise.

I would have been fine if dudley did a lateral move to buffalo.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BNHarrington

Dudley on #Habs: "It's a great gig. if you enjoy something a great deal, why change if you don't have to?" #Sabres

@BNHarrington

We just met with Rick Dudley. Said #Sabres called earlier this week for permission but he never actually met with them (more).

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I would be surprised if no one brought up this name already, but Scotty Bowman seems like a good name to kick around. I know everyone is going to bash the idea and say he would never do it. Heck, I would be surprised if he would consider the position.

That being said, he has won cups, is part of the Sabres history, and still lives in Buffalo. Not only could he be a good temporary GM with Patty and Devine's help/input, but he would be the ideal person to groom LaFontaine and Devine for the position after he leaves in a couple years. Hire him as the GM and hire another AGM (I thought I read about a team that has 2 AGMs). Devine handles the amateur side and the new AGM handles the pro side and Scotty adds his input into the group decision making process. Its not like he would have to be the "emperor". We just need his knowledge and experience/guidance as to what makes a winning organization and team.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
@bnharrington

dudley on #habs: "it's a great gig. If you enjoy something a great deal, why change if you don't have to?" #sabres

@bnharrington

we just met with rick dudley. Said #sabres called earlier this week for permission but he never actually met with them (more).
[nhl]495650[/nhl]

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bill Hoppe: Rick Dudley could’ve spoken to Sabres about GM job, instead chose to stay with Canadiens

The Sabres wanted to talk to Rick Dudley about their vacant general manager job. But before they could interview him, the Montreal Canadiens wanted a word with their assistant GM.

While the Habs would let Dudley talk to the Sabres, a team he played and coached with, they wanted to keep him.

To Dudley, who lives in Lewiston, the decision was a no-brainer. He signed a contract extension with, according to reports, a healthy pay raise.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would be surprised if no one brought up this name already, but Scotty Bowman seems like a good name to kick around. I know everyone is going to bash the idea and say he would never do it. Heck, I would be surprised if he would consider the position.

That being said, he has won cups, is part of the Sabres history, and still lives in Buffalo. Not only could he be a good temporary GM with Patty and Devine's help/input, but he would be the ideal person to groom LaFontaine and Devine for the position after he leaves in a couple years. Hire him as the GM and hire another AGM (I thought I read about a team that has 2 AGMs). Devine handles the amateur side and the new AGM handles the pro side and Scotty adds his input into the group decision making process. Its not like he would have to be the "emperor". We just need his knowledge and experience/guidance as to what makes a winning organization and team.

Scotty Bowman is 80 years old. He's basically retired. He's a "Senior Advisor" with an emphasis on senior. He works for his son Stan, GM of the Blackhawks. He is not going to ever be a GM again.

KennyFnPowers*

Rick Dudley staying with the Montreal Canadiens

Wonder if that puts a dent in any of Patty's initial plans for GM? Would have been interesting for sure...

Still any chance they can (within the rules) persuade him to come? Or is that against the rules if the current team does not allow it or grant permission to negotiate?

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/l...ck-dudley-staying-with-the-montreal-canadiens

Edit: Ok. saw the video, and obviously he's not interested. No biggie.

Reinhart 2014 ftw

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I believe the response I have here is "**** NO!!" to Bowman as GM. I went through his terrible, egotistical GM phase that took them from Cup contender to worst team in the league in 7 years. No. I say again. NO.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Yeah, and the Bills should hire Marv Levy to be their GM again.

Different scenario. Marv was given the proverbial keys to the car. Marv was hired to do a job he had no experience doing after years away from the league. Bowman has been at the executive level and still involved in the operations of a very successful franchise he groomed his son to run.

I'm not endorsing the move, but kind of fits the Sabres situation. He doesn't need to be a traditional GM. I would value his input for a year or two as he puts in place some of the best practices he learned from his time in Detroit and Chicago. After a year or two, we either move Patty into the position, promote Devine or hire their GM of choice. With the decision making structure in place with the Sabres he wouldn't be making decisions the AGM, VP of Hockey Operations and Owner weren't on board with. And I am suggesting even adding another AGM to the mix from the pro side.

If he was willing to be an advisor that would be better but he wouldn't do the same thing he's doing for Chicago. Again, I'm not necessarily suggesting this to be the best option but I would be ok with it.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Different scenario. Marv was given the proverbial keys to the car. Marv was hired to do a job he had no experience doing after years away from the league. Bowman has been at the executive level and still involved in the operations of a very successful franchise he groomed his son to run.

I'm not endorsing the move, but kind of fits the Sabres situation. He doesn't need to be a traditional GM. I would value his input for a year or two as he puts in place some of the best practices he learned from his time in Detroit and Chicago. After a year or two, we either move Patty into the position, promote Devine or hire their GM of choice. With the decision making structure in place with the Sabres he wouldn't be making decisions the AGM, VP of Hockey Operations and Owner weren't on board with. And I am suggesting even adding another AGM to the mix from the pro side.

If he was willing to be an advisor that would be better but he wouldn't do the same thing he's doing for Chicago. Again, I'm not necessarily suggesting this to be the best option but I would be ok with it.

As much as I don't want it, he'd surely want it even less. He's working for the best team in hockey, a team that will be competitive in all likelihood for as long as he's able to remain in his role. He gets to work with and for his son. He has a job that's light on workload. I can't imagine he'd even consider leaving Chicago for another organization so long as his son is GM. It's been over a decade since he was anything more than an advisor, and surely that must then be how he wants it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Have you guys interviewed Pierre McGuire yet?

As annoying as he is, he does know the game really well, would be interesting to see him as a GM. I really thought the Habs would hire him :laugh:

On that note, I don't think he is right for you guys. I think you guys needs an experienced guy, so I'm curious as to why you guys are going to hire a rookie GM.

You guys have a good future ahead of you guys. Both Hackett-Enroth look solid in net, and you guys have a bunch of good young D. Forwards still need to be built, but with the opportunity to grab Sam Reinhart and even next year to be in the running for McDavid, things are looking bright.

Good Luck on the search!

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
@pham1717

Rick Dudley, 1st intermission with @BrianWGR

[nhl]495650[/nhl]

I was really rooting for Dudley to be the choice - and, after listening to him in the interview, he clearly would have been the wise, experienced sage that would have worked well with LaFontaine and accepted the current scouting staff. Alas, it was not to be...and I guess, hearing what some of the TSN reports and Dudley's own acknowledgement of his age, he probably wouldn't have wanted to be in the lead role for that long anyway. Since Patty didn't sound like he's necessarily eager to become a GM in the future, it would have created an awkward place in 4-5 years where Dudley would have wanted to retire or become just an advisor and the Sabres would be back where they are now: seeking a GM.

I believe the response I have here is "**** NO!!" to Bowman as GM. I went through his terrible, egotistical GM phase that took them from Cup contender to worst team in the league in 7 years. No. I say again. NO.

I'm in the same boat there, Chain, having lived through the same experiences. If those who didn't experience that time as a Sabre fan only knew how eerily similar that situation was to the recent 2007-2013 blueprint Regier was using, they might rethink the Bowman campaigning. Bowman dismantled a Wales Conference semifinalist via trades (many of which were offloading of vets for draft picks), losing respect with several popular players (Martin, Gare, Edwards, Schoenfeld) and then, after injecting a roster of rookies 2 years after becoming the GM (Andreychuk, Housley, Cyr, Virta, Fenvyes, Davis, McKenna, Cloutier), proceeded to patch together a roster of also-rans and minor leaguers leading up to the last place overall finish in the season he was fired (1986-87). His drafting results were pretty bad (who can forget the infamous Jiri Dudacek?). Like Regier did in hiring his 2 coaches, Bowman would only promote his assistant coaches that he could control (Nielson, Roberts) when he didn't feel like being the coach.

Last edited:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Who knows who else Patty has on his list of candidates but I'd be very surprised if he isn't willing to at least talk to Neil Smith because of their relationship. Whether or not Smith would be unable to deal with today's salary cap world like many media reports have questioned, I don't know - he won his Cup by just outspending everyone and buying players and, with Pegula's likely willingness to allow that, it would worry me. But, if Patty is supportive of Nolan being the coach possibly next year, at least Smith would be a person who has worked with him and wouldn't create any rifts or power struggles. Maybe Patty considers bringing Smith in an "advisory role"....

Dudley seemed like such a safe, logical and smart choice - I have a hard time getting enthused over gambling on some unproven assistant GM (Benning, Botteril, Fenton), especially at this crucial stage of the rebuild even though such promotions worked fine in Pittsburgh and Boston. I don't see Nieuwendyk as a great option nor do I want any of Burke's ego being brought in (though it sure would make for funny exchanges with the TBN media crew). I'm a little curious if Patty might consider Craig Button for his extensive scouting expertise and being tapped into the league through the media analyst role he's had - but Button's resume as the Flames GM wasn't great.

Obviously, I'm on board with anything Patty does and am still on Cloud 9 since the news two weeks ago of seeing Regier / Rolston jettisoned and the Sabres' 3rd greatest player (giving Perreault and Hasek their due) ever being tasked with steering the ship in the right direction. ;)

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo

He was a GM... then coach... and then still GM... but then Neilson is coach... back to coaching... hey Jimmy Roberts... nope coaching again... what's up Schoenfeld... coach again, coach coach coach... BO MIKAEL ANDERSSON! Scotty the draft guru... maybe Jiri Dudacek will finally show up. Shawn Anderson... ah just killin' it at these drafts. :yo:

I'd rather Edna Perpachripawicz at Amberleigh retirement community, the reigning Nintendo Wii bowling champ in the high profile 85 and over division, become the GM rather than Scotty Bowman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad