Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The only way Gretzky should be the GM is if he gets an interview and blows Patty LaLa away with his plan to improve the team.

Talking about these candidates without being a part of the interview process and really hearing what they think about the current roster & prospects and their plans for the future means that fans are spit balling.

On the surface, guys like Gretzky, Messier, and Shanahan are waaaaay down the list of candidates that I think would be good to great as the next Sabres GM. But, maybe I am underestimating them, too....

:dunno:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
IMO, hiring Gretzky, Messier, Shannahan at this juncture in their careers would be nothing but a PR move to send a message to the league that "you're serious" about winning. They lack the managerial experience necessary to build a team this early. They would most likely be used in a similar fashion as Pat was, as President Of Hockey Operations.

And in this case, they would've been terrible selections as they have nothing to do with Buffalo history. It would've been a fine hire for PR reasoning for about 15 minutes. Patty was the one of two players that would've put us on the map in the league, with Hasek being the only other one. Patty and Hasek, imo, are the only two names from Buffalo history that players in the league today actually know. As much as Buffalo fans will hate this, players don't really remember Perrault as well as they know other "big" name players from that era.

The right guy was hired with his front office connections from working with the league.

At this point, I'm along for the ride and am anxious to see who they pick. I just hope people don't get angry because Patty didn't pick "Their" guy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
IMO, hiring Gretzky, Messier, Shannahan at this juncture in their careers would be nothing but a PR move to send a message to the league that "you're serious" about winning. They lack the managerial experience necessary to build a team this early. They would most likely be used in a similar fashion as Pat was, as President Of Hockey Operations.

But how serious would a team be about winning if they hire a guy to be the GM based more on name recognition than actual ability to do the job?

It seems to me that a team that did that would LOSE credibility among people in and around the NHL and not gain it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
But how serious would a team be about winning if they hire a guy to be the GM based more on name recognition than actual ability to do the job?

It seems to me that a team that did that would LOSE credibility among people in and around the NHL and not gain it.

I agree. I was just saying that hiring those guys would make it seem to the casual fanbase happy as its a big name people like to hear, and regardless what people think the Casual fanbase makes up the majority of most fanbases.

But if a team were to hire these guys, it most likely would be for a position like President of Hockey Operations. Hence why guys like Patty and Sakic were hired in the positions they were.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Here's an article on TSN. It's not a Bobby Mac article, but it talks about Gretzky and what clubs he could/would be interested in going to. There is no mention of the Sabres anywhere in there. I am sure if there was a risk that Gretzky was a potential candidate for Buffalo, they'd say as much.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438217

I don't think Gretzky is coming to Buffalo, but this article doesn't really mean anything. All they did was list his former teams and people he's associated with recently. I could've written this article just based on Wayne's past, there's no actual information in it.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I don't think Gretzky is coming to Buffalo, but this article doesn't really mean anything. All they did was list his former teams and people he's associated with recently. I could've written this article just based on Wayne's past, there's no actual information in it.

I understand that, but I think TSN would have mentioned any solid leads on prospective destinations from Gretzky. Since they didn't mention anything, I would say that means there is nothing substantial, so anything at this point is fan hearsay (Gretzky to Buffalo).

If anything, Toronto looks like a strong potential destination and again, no mention of Buffalo.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438246

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I understand that, but I think TSN would have mentioned any solid leads on prospective destinations from Gretzky. Since they didn't mention anything, I would say that means there is nothing substantial, so anything at this point is fan hearsay (Gretzky to Buffalo).

If anything, Toronto looks like a strong potential destination and again, no mention of Buffalo.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438246

Other than maybe Toronto, there's nothing substantial about him heading anywhere.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What team has Gretzky managed?

I really don't get all the fascination with putting gifted players in management positions. "Oh hey, this guy was really fast, I wonder how he does with budgets?" Or worst, the generic, "he obviously understands the game." Look, playing the game well and coaching, GMing, scouting, everything else are entirely different skill sets. The only advantage I'd give Gretzky over Joshjull in team management would be his connections.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I really don't get all the fascination with putting gifted players in management positions. "Oh hey, this guy was really fast, I wonder how he does with budgets?" Or worst, the generic, "he obviously understands the game." Look, playing the game well and coaching, GMing, scouting, everything else are entirely different skill sets. The only advantage I'd give Gretzky over Joshjull in team management would be his connections.

How did I get dragged into this?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Lets just remember who our owner is. Our owner was still trying to hire LaFontaine as GM while introducing him as President.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Lets just remember who our owner is. Our owner was still trying to hire LaFontaine as GM while introducing him as President.

True, but Patty said upfront that he wouldn't be a great fit for the job. I think that speaks volumes about his character and how honestly he wants a successful GM for Buffalo. He is now in charge of finding the GM and not Pegula, which works in our favor, imo.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This from a Leafs blogger who is transcribing Bobby Mac's interview on TSN radio right now (he's tweeting pretty much everything McKenzie is saying about a variety of topics):

Hope_Smoke‏@Hope_Smoke10m
Mckenzie on TSN Radio "here's the problem with LaFontaine hiring Nolan: Ted doesn't like playing kids, rebuilding or losing games"

Hope_Smoke‏@Hope_Smoke10m
Mckenzie "that's not the direction the Sabres are heading towards"

Hope_Smoke‏@Hope_Smoke9m
Mckenzie "Sabres aren't getting closer to hiring a GM. In fact, I think they're expanding their list"

https://twitter.com/hope_smoke

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
12/5 Pat LaFontaine interview with Bulldog. <12:15>

- Has had meetings and will continue to have meetings next week
- Teams have been good with permission to meet potential candidates
- Has met with more candidates than he started out with, as his list has grown
- A positive of the search has been how many want to come to Buffalo
- Some names have been recommended by people he respects in the business
- Will wait if chosen candidate isn't available right away

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
That's my issue with Nolan as well. Besides that I think he brings right attitude toward rebuild.

Nolan will only do as good as his roster. I dont see the Sabres having a good enough roster to do well over the next couple years. Only way they can change it short term is by going out in free agency and paying big money.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nolan will only do as good as his roster. I dont see the Sabres having a good enough roster to do well over the next couple years. Only way they can change it short term is by going out in free agency and paying big money.

I don't disagree...but lets be real...it's not too hard to improve this team.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Listening to LaFontaine's interview on WGR, I think it's fair to say he isn't as gung ho about re-signing Miller as Nolan was the other day.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
LaFontaine reiterating on the Rangers' intermission report that if the right candidate isn't available until the summer, he will wait.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
If Patty makes the call not to trade Miller and he leaves as a UFA this summer I will beyond mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad